Question i burned some dvds 5-6 years back in a dvd ,now 2-3 videos show - cant render while playing

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
i burned some dvds 5-6 years back in a dvd ,may be in 4 or 8x speed by nero..now 2-3 videos show - cant render while playing them , cant even copy .. it shows source cant be found

Reactions: williamsheikspare

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
the files are vob file. i am sure i checked all the videos if they were ok then. but now i wanted to see some of it.. they showed cant render . any way around to get them back ? thanks

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
You can try dvdisaster. It includes a handy scanning tool. That should at least give you an idea if there is something wrong with the DVD itself.

Optical discs do go bad from time to time.

If there isn't, it's a simple matter to use makemkv to rip it. Unless what you've burned is a data DVD with movie files on it.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
You can also give Isobuster a try to recover the files but it's not free.

Try the DVDs in some other drive. I think Lite On DVD drives used to be pretty good at reading error-ridden DVDs.

Another option is to make a DVD image using UltraISO (again not free but you may be able to find a similar tool), then mount the ISO image and try to play from the virtual DVD drive.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
You can try dvdisaster. It includes a handy scanning tool. That should at least give you an idea if there is something wrong with the DVD itself.

Optical discs do go bad from time to time.

If there isn't, it's a simple matter to use makemkv to rip it. Unless what you've burned is a data DVD with movie files on it.
i downloaded from internet and burned it ,it wasnt from any cd or dvd. i tried with laptop and desktop dvd drive .both shows the file is bad,cant render. so with dvdissater.. i can scan the dvd drive? will try it now , and yes i burned the files as data .

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
You can also give Isobuster a try to recover the files but it's not free.

Try the DVDs in some other drive. I think Lite On DVD drives used to be pretty good at reading error-ridden DVDs.

Another option is to make a DVD image using UltraISO (again not free but you may be able to find a similar tool), then mount the ISO image and try to play from the virtual DVD drive.
no i cant pay .. need some free ones.. if possible . and oh .. so the iso thing and mounting have wroked to recover ?

Jul 27, 2020
no i cant pay .. need some free ones.. if possible . and oh .. so the iso thing and mounting have wroked to recover ?
It might just work. Depends on your luck.

Go to the section titled "Using Unstoppable Copier".

Reactions: meganin

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
The DVD may play just fine in a DVD player. Their firmware doesn't make as much of a fuss with data errors.
yes today i tried to play in a dvd player. the file dint even start to play, it went back to file list after 5 secs.also tried to run the rom slower in 1x speed, copied the fiile again with nostop copy,but the file cant play at all. last rings outer part is not readable and skipped..,should i click fix now in this software dvdissater? in this i tried to click fix , it asks to shows iso file.. i have no idea how to proceed after that in this software

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
and yes i burned the files as data .
In this case a stand alone DVD player was never going to work even when the disks were first burned and brand new.

I expect this is a big part of your issue, along with age perhaps.

Finally you may have a disk type compatibility issue. I don't remember all the media types but there was some plusses or minuses along with single layer and double layer to worry about.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I was not very clear also I'm having a little trouble following so sorry in advance if I'm making the wrong assumptions.

I think you burned the disks "as data" rather than "as video". If so this means you have not burned a video disk like you would rent at Redbox. Instead what you have is computer data that just happens to be on a DVD disk. This data is in a more similar format to files on a hard drive and needs to be played accordingly. A standalone player is not going to work nor is a software DVD player.

If I'm right and if the files are not damaged you just need a media player capable of playing VOB data files like VLC.

Try to play your disk with VLC but don't try to play it like it is a DVD video disk because it isn't. Instead try to play it like it is a file still on your computer. I'll put up a screen shot in a minute to show what I mean.

vlc no.png

Last edited:

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
In this case a stand alone DVD player was never going to work even when the disks were first burned and brand new.

I expect this is a big part of your issue, along with age perhaps.

Finally you may have a disk type compatibility issue. I don't remember all the media types but there was some plusses or minuses along with single layer and double layer to worry about.
ya i never played the dvd as dvd itself..i go inside and click the file i want --i was talking about vlc ,media classic player,sm player etc.. :)) ,but well dvd player also plays the good other files ,but the corrupt ones cant be played by anything at all. i tried to see if there is a source for that files ,i got them but too slow to downlod:p planning to buy a hardkdisk to save other files ,cant believe these dvdsr anymore lol. also i have a doubt that is it possible they got corrupt because i have burned till 4.3 out of 4.7 gb in data ? in 8x speed burned in nero.the vob files are like 8 to 10 in numbers, only 2 of them got bad , when i tested with dvdsaster the outer last rings showed non readable ,there was a icon "fix" but it was asking for some mount image.. i dono where to get it so just left it.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Generally the outer portion is the easiest to get scratched. If you look closely, you may find more scratches there than the rest of the DVD surface. I used to burn my DVDs at 4X because I read somewhere that the higher the burning speed, the more likely your DVD will turn into a coaster later on. Thanks to flash drives and cheap external HDDs, haven't needed to burn a DVD in what? 15 years or so.