I broke the socket clip on my MSI K7T266

Coligeon

Jun 18, 2001
I feel like such an idiot and well I probably am. Anyway, I was trying to remove my heatsink and well I broke the plactic holder thingy that holds the heatsink on tightly where the socket is. What can I do now? I guess once you have the heatsink on you leave it eh? I was just trying to apply some thermal grease...Argh. If I have to replace the motherboard just for that...well, i just don't know. Please help me. Forgive my stupidity

Coligeon

Jun 18, 2001
The only idea that I had was to drill a hole right near the plactic holder was and string some thin wirer between the two. I don't know is this will be tight enough, but it is my only idea so far. Jeez. BTW, how do you go about removing a heatsink then? Thanks and the help is always appreciated.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
i wouldnt trust string :)

you can always buy a new cooler that either uses all 3 tabs on each side, or one of the coolers that uses the 4 mounting holes on the motherboard

** edit**
i guess i could add some links so you know what im talking about :)
link1 this kind uses all 3 tabs
link2 this is the kind that mounts directly to the motherboard

either of these types should work for what your needing

Coligeon

Jun 18, 2001
Can you list any of these? I suppose I could also drill a hole and place a screw in acting as the clip...a little risky though. How do you safely remove a heatsink for future reference? Thanks.

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
personally i would just go to newegg.com and buy a thermalright ax-7... if you look at the pics on neweggs site you will see how it works

Coligeon

Jun 18, 2001
Well, I ened up using some thin wire and wrapped it around the case a lot of times and it is now nearly as tight as it was with the clip. I applied the thermal grease and my temperature is now about 5 degrees cooler. I'll use this setup for now seeing how it is oddly doing better then before, but yes, I will look into those three clip heatsinks in the future as I plan to keep this motherboard. Thank you for the ideas, much appreciated.

Skawttey

Mar 1, 2002
I also broke mine, but there is enough of the clip left to hold the HSF. I just dont move my computer more than necessary and i am fine.

menshadow

Apr 27, 2002
:D I'm applying for my official 'computer nerd pocket protector' with this one. I did the same thing and for the same reason. So.....I got an old modem card that had two holes cut out for phone lines, cut off the metal spade, measured VERY carefully the size hole needed, and installed it using the original hold down clip anchored to the outer two plastic clips with this modified spade. Worked fine. Temps OK

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It couldn't hurt to talk to MSI about this. In some instances they have replaced MBs.

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
The only heatsinks I will use is the three tab or mounting to the mainboards, I have had heatsinks pop a tad off just setting there, They are just to many good heatsinks out anymore that got away from that two tab mounting BS