Question I broke my motherboards expansion slot lever, Can i still remove the card?

capybaras

Jun 25, 2020
I'm soon going to upgrade my motherboard, ram and CPU to the newer generation but in my PC i have a RTX 2060 which i want to keep for the new build.
but when i was installing a new WiFi card into the PC i had to remove the GPU to fit it in. and i put the 2 cards back i noticed that in the process i broke the expansion slot lever. is there still a way to remove the card with out damaging anything?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's just a flesh wound...

Anyways, should still work, assuming that the main part of the socket is sound. Just screw the card down, and don't pull on it or jostle it while power is on.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Cani remove the card?

Yes. The part you broke off is the entire retention system. The card will just lift out of the slot now, which is why you'll need to be careful to not mess around with the system in the future as the card will only be held in by the case bracket and may be able to slightly come out of the slot.

capybaras

Jun 25, 2020
Yes. The part you broke off is the entire retention system. The card will just lift out of the slot now, which is why you'll need to be careful to not mess around with the system in the future as the card will only be held in by the case bracket and may be able to slightly come out of the slot.
Thank you wise internet man