I Bricked my 7850 after changing bios.

corinarh

May 28, 2014
Actually my card is working fine (except im on my old pc with 4 core athlon and i needed to install 2nd windows on my 2nd hdd) because i roll back to my old bios but i just want your attention to help me to choose proper .rom to let me OC my card past 1050mhz.

So like i write in title i bricked my 7850 asus 2gb gpu. I recently had issues with 14.6 drivers but i fixed that. However watchdogs isn't working like it should (or maybe game is very bad optimized) and i was mad because i couldn't oc my card (it always crashes after 1050mhz [i tried asus gpu tweak/msi afterburner/trixx/few others none worked and looks like changing voltage doesn't work [i can change them but gpu-z shows it is still the same]).

So i decided to change bios and i set up dos flash pendrive with 2 .roms

I used one of those http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...HD+7850&interface=PCI-E&memType=&memSize=2048

015.017.000.000.000861 << that bios i installed
015.017.000.001.000000 << original bios oc blocked

I'm not sure which one i take (because there are like 6 same bioses - are they the same or i should try to use them?). So i start up my pc again and get into dos using my pendrive and wrote dir and then backup my original bios and then atiflash~1 (idk why it wasn't just atiflash) -p -f 0 asus7850.rom after last line generated by dos i restarted my pc and my screen was black. :rolleyes:
I went to sleep and later next day i build my old pc with my gpu and tried to recover old bios, which i done pretty easy, atiflas~1 -p -f 0 backup.rom and i could see everything again.

And I'm idk which bios i need to use to unlock OC past 1050mhz my gpu :<

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
You don't need to flash a random bios. You can modify the original bios by giving it more VDDC (voltage). Keep in mind that some cards lock out voltage control. Anyhow, you can search for VBE7. Use that to change your voltage and see if it helps.

Having said that, you might have a card that just isn't capable of going pass 1050mhz. Luck of the draw. Of course, as always, use the bios editor at your own risk.

corinarh

May 28, 2014
You don't need to flash a random bios. You can modify the original bios by giving it more VDDC (voltage). Keep in mind that some cards lock out voltage control. Anyhow, you can search for VBE7. Use that to change your voltage and see if it helps.

Having said that, you might have a card that just isn't capable of going pass 1050mhz. Luck of the draw. Of course, as always, use the bios editor at your own risk.

i think it's not possible to not being able to reach more than 1050mhz i'm sure my gpu is locked from what i seen every 7850 should be able to reach 1200mhz

i'll check out that VBE7

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
My Gigabyte 7850 has been a PITA since the beginning, it's only 24/7 stable below 1050MHz. It'll play games all day long up to 1090 but playing a Youtube video corrupts the screen.

Anywho, if you are encountering the hardlock at 1050, I have to disable Overdrive and enable range enhancement in MSI Afterburner. Then to get any kind of gaming semblance of stability, I have to leave PowerPlay disabled, and leave force constant voltage unchecked because it seems like AB fights with the card over what to do with clocks and voltages and the result is actually more violent voltage swings and instability. Checking to disable ULPS literally does nothing (only because I guess it is meant for shutting off a CrossFired card when idle but I read it can help with stability.... NOPE). The stupid card likes to lower its voltages and clocks with no rhyme or reason which contribute to the corruption with Youtube videos. The depressing part is VBE cannot modify the BIOS for me because it is a "non-reference" card. Thanks Gigabyte! It is completely random. This is the first card I have owned that has a fault that I cannot tame. What few posts I've read about the problem told me an RMA would not help. It accepts only two versions of a BIOS, both of which offer no difference in stability nor speed, otherwise either it won't boot Windows or the drivers will not install after flashing.

Last edited:

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
i think it's not possible to not being able to reach more than 1050mhz i'm sure my gpu is locked from what i seen every 7850 should be able to reach 1200mhz

i'll check out that VBE7

Yeah, no. There's no OC that every single card can reach. If there were, that would be the stock clock. There are even some GPUs which never hit the market because that don't work at even stock stock speeds. It's all the luck of of the draw. I was told that 1.25V should be "safe" for any 7950, and now I can't play demanding games for more than hour. Nothing known to work until you actually do it.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Yeah, no. There's no OC that every single card can reach. If there were, that would be the stock clock. There are even some GPUs which never hit the market because that don't work at even stock stock speeds. It's all the luck of of the draw. I was told that 1.25V should be "safe" for any 7950, and now I can't play demanding games for more than hour. Nothing known to work until you actually do it.
Good point, i felt jipped at first too because of all the 1200-1300 7850s and claims of the 7850 being an OC monster... at the end of the day you really cant wager big on it.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
We see a LOT of posts about 7850s at 1200+, 7900 series at 1150+, GK110 at 1300 because the people with these overclocks are the outliers and are excited that they reached these numbers so they make the effort to post about them. This effect is also magnified by tech forums like this who's population lives for overclocking and big numbers.

The vast majority of cards will never be overclocked in any form. Only a very small percent will see someone attempting to overclock them. And only a fraction of that will reach the golden oc levels we love to talk about.

It is like my 4670k. It does 4.7 at 1.2v rock stable. It is probably one of a literal handful of chips in the word that can do that. I 100% hit the lottery with it. All luck. Have two friends with 4670k's and another with a 4770k. None of them can get past 4.3 at all.

In regards to your 7850, looks like you have an Asus, DCUII I would assume. Friend of mine picked one up back in September 13 and it cannot oc at all. Hard locks on anything past stock, increased voltage or not. Poor guy also has a dud 4670k also, 4.1 at decent voltage, takes 1.25+ to get to 4.2.

As we say YMMV. Don't give up hope though. Half the fun I have with my hardware is seeing how far I can push it and trying to figure out what tiny changes I can make to get more.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
We see a LOT of posts about 7850s at 1200+, 7900 series at 1150+, GK110 at 1300 because the people with these overclocks are the outliers and are excited that they reached these numbers so they make the effort to post about them. This effect is also magnified by tech forums like this who's population lives for overclocking and big numbers.

The vast majority of cards will never be overclocked in any form. Only a very small percent will see someone attempting to overclock them. And only a fraction of that will reach the golden oc levels we love to talk about.

It is like my 4670k. It does 4.7 at 1.2v rock stable. It is probably one of a literal handful of chips in the word that can do that. I 100% hit the lottery with it. All luck. Have two friends with 4670k's and another with a 4770k. None of them can get past 4.3 at all.

In regards to your 7850, looks like you have an Asus, DCUII I would assume. Friend of mine picked one up back in September 13 and it cannot oc at all. Hard locks on anything past stock, increased voltage or not. Poor guy also has a dud 4670k also, 4.1 at decent voltage, takes 1.25+ to get to 4.2.

As we say YMMV. Don't give up hope though. Half the fun I have with my hardware is seeing how far I can push it and trying to figure out what tiny changes I can make to get more.

It's scary though. My card didn't give any sings of issues except tearing on loading screens (which was probably just a switch to 2D clocks), then all of a sudden my screen turned into a staticy mess one day, and now I get artifacts and missing graphics after playing certain games for more than an hour. I really don't know if I ever want to bother with overclocking again if I can't even get signs that something's wrong until it's too late.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
It's scary though. My card didn't give any sings of issues except tearing on loading screens (which was probably just a switch to 2D clocks), then all of a sudden my screen turned into a staticy mess one day, and now I get artifacts and missing graphics after playing certain games for more than an hour. I really don't know if I ever want to bother with overclocking again if I can't even get signs that something's wrong until it's too late.
Damn, well it's a good thing mine is limited to 1.225, these things are fragile. Some of the guys running theirs thinking 1.3v was safe I saw had degraded clocks after a while. I miss my 8800GT, I vmodded the hell out of that thing and removed the OCP and it ran for years at close to 1.4v *sigh*

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

This!!!

I've been flashing bios's for years with techpowerup tools.

And the major rule in bios flashing always dump your own bios and modify it. Only use a bios off the internet if you have to and there is no other resort.

Follow the above suggestion!

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Good point, i felt jipped at first too because of all the 1200-1300 7850s and claims of the 7850 being an OC monster... at the end of the day you really cant wager big on it.

You get what you get, no manufacturer I have ever saw make ANY claim of ANY overclockability. They state on the box or on their site what the card is capable of, anything above and beyond that is the luck of the draw. Any claims of it being an "OC monster" are solely those of the community. If you get 1mhz over stock its more than they claim.

Not trying to be an ahole or anything, but folks need to realize that overclocking is a fun hobby but they don't owe you any specific clocks other than those specified in the marketing.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
You get what you get, no manufacturer I have ever saw make ANY claim of ANY overclockability. They state on the box or on their site what the card is capable of, anything above and beyond that is the luck of the draw. Any claims of it being an "OC monster" are solely those of the community. If you get 1mhz over stock its more than they claim.

Not trying to be an ahole or anything, but folks need to realize that overclocking is a fun hobby but they don't owe you any specific clocks other than those specified in the marketing.
Right yeah that was kinda my point. This card was a special case though because of the design flaw of how it modulates clocks dynamically and the tiny load of flash video or HD MKV files corrupting a screen even at a mere 4% over stock speed no matter what i tried, all utilities, drivers dating back to 13.2, profiles.xml tweaking, its just been the most disappointing overclocker i have owned. Contrast it with a scrawny GTX 650 that takes a beating and has never corrupted a screen watching video nor flickered changing to 2D clocks and ive been made an nvidia fan once again. I feel fortunate for scoring a 4670k that does 4.5GHz with just 1.2v (1.195 for non AVX2 loads).

corinarh

May 28, 2014
I have another problem i tried few bios flash combinations and i could reach 1150mhz

i just tired with changing bios to

1)1.225V 1250mhz +20% power worked fine
2) 1.250v 1250mhz +20% power worked fine
3) 1.180v 1250mhz +20% power driver crashed and after close dota2 i got plenty of artefacts and needed to restart my pc
4) roll back to default with better max clocks 1.210v i'm testing it right now

EDIT: 1.2120v is working using 1150mhz so far /w +20%power limit

on my old pc however when i plug my gpu into my new pc i can't even oc to 1000mhz without BSOD i tried even back to old bios/changing it or using old PSU/using default UEFI config but it didn't work. What should i do now? Did i broke my gpu by editing bios with VBE7?(i had one black screen by changing bios from 015.017.000.000.000861 to
015.017.000.001.000000 and i needed to plug in my gpu to old pc because my screen became black)

it looks like this while crashing drivers or just bsod without warning http://i.imgur.com/t5TqbWs.jpg

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013

i'll check out that VBE7
Use Sapphire TRIXX, I did it with my 7850, you need to bump voltage past 1.2v.

corinarh

May 28, 2014
but i could reach 1150mhz without any problem on 1.21v +20% power on old pc and 1050mhz on 1.21v stable without any changes to voltage before flashing bios on same pc i'm using now (new one)

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Right yeah that was kinda my point. This card was a special case though because of the design flaw of how it modulates clocks dynamically and the tiny load of flash video or HD MKV files corrupting a screen even at a mere 4% over stock speed no matter what i tried, all utilities, drivers dating back to 13.2, profiles.xml tweaking, its just been the most disappointing overclocker i have owned. Contrast it with a scrawny GTX 650 that takes a beating and has never corrupted a screen watching video nor flickered changing to 2D clocks and ive been made an nvidia fan once again. I feel fortunate for scoring a 4670k that does 4.5GHz with just 1.2v (1.195 for non AVX2 loads).

Im not trying to troll you, but ANYTHING above stock even 1mhz is not for sure thing with any chip, even those that have a fantastic reputation for OC. This isnt to say the card is bad, you just got a poor overclocker which is simply luck of the draw.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Im not trying to troll you, but ANYTHING above stock even 1mhz is not for sure thing with any chip, even those that have a fantastic reputation for OC. This isnt to say the card is bad, you just got a poor overclocker which is simply luck of the draw.
It is a fantastically bumb sample, good god don't go into this 1MHz crap. This card is a POS both by design and build quality. There is no reason to violently modulate memory clocks when they are not the main power draw by a longshot. It won't even flash updated BIOS versions by Gigabyte for the same model card because of "card revision" and the BIOS update is hit or miss whether it fixes the vertical stripe crash/image flickering. But because I have a strong conscience and it runs solid at stock, I've kept it around for fear of receiving a worse card.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Shocked some people have issues being stable at even 1050, 7850 is legend at ocing. 1050 for my old TF3 7850 was a walk in the park but forget adding a single extra mhz to it lol.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
It is a fantastically bumb sample, good god don't go into this 1MHz crap. This card is a POS both by design and build quality. There is no reason to violently modulate memory clocks when they are not the main power draw by a longshot. It won't even flash updated BIOS versions by Gigabyte for the same model card because of "card revision" and the BIOS update is hit or miss whether it fixes the vertical stripe crash/image flickering. But because I have a strong conscience and it runs solid at stock, I've kept it around for fear of receiving a worse card.

If it works at stock, you are getting what was advertised.

Im with you in that I would want more, but I just remind people that overclocking is a fun hobby, but nothing is for sure in the OC world. Sometimes you just get a turd, and just have to deal with it and try picking it up by the clean end :)