I bought Pay It Forward and Being John Malkovich on DVD today!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
for $31.98 at Fred Meyer B&M. I saw Pay It Forward in the movie theatre but haven't seen Being John Malkovich yet.

200+ DVDs and counting :D

Reactions: brianmanahan

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
RossMAN did you see in FS/T where someone was selling off his entire DVD collection? (It was a few days ago, or last week I think).

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
My average per DVD used to be around $6.85 shipped (thanks to DVDTalk.com back in 1999-2000), since then it has slowly been creaping upwards. If Buy.com were to have another $30 off $150 coupon with free shipping I would probably place 2 order spending a total of $300 - $60 coupons.

Yeah 200 plus DVDs, it could be around 250 now. I still have 8 or so pre-orders to get. I've recently found that buying from Fred Meyer or Best Buy B&M is just as cheap as Amazon.com or Buy.com is except for there is no wait and no shipping charges.

Someone was selling their ENTIRE DVD collection? Got a link?

Fortunately there's still the ColumbiaHouse $10 per DVD deal, and you can do that over and over and over and over again.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got Being John Malkovich on DVD for $3 at a yard sale last year...still haven't watched it yet though.

EvanFerguson

Banned
May 14, 2001
200 = fatty bling bling

i have 0 dvd's and enjoying myself just fine thanks ;)
(no, not in THAT way you sicko)

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000

<< Someone was selling their ENTIRE DVD collection? Got a link? >>

Found the link, but it's all sold. If I see something similar in the future I'll let you know!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Found the link, but it's all sold. If I see something similar in the future I'll let you know!

Thanks for the link, sounded like a sensational deal. I already have all the DVDs I want except for some anamorphic ones (Pulp Fiction and Good Will Hunting). It's hard to find a good deal on Canadian DVDs :(

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
SavageDubz

My point is (obviously not very well stated) is that it costs too much to rent.

Blockbuster or Hollywood Video charges $3.50 + tax per DVD rental. I get DVDs generally for under $10 through promo GC's, e-bay, and other various online resources. Occasionally I'll pay $15 for a &quot;hard to get&quot; title. Then it's MINE. It can sit on my shelf and collect dust, or I can wear it out in my DVD player or I can trade it for another DVD that I want. It's an investment.

A rental, on the other hand, is like throwing money away. I would much rather use my thrifty purchases to trade for other DVDs I want or sell them outright for money to buy more DVDs. It seems ridiculous to spend approx 1/3 of what it would take to buy the DVD on a 2 or 3 day rental.

I've gone the Netflix route for awhile, but I used it only to preview DVD's I'd eventually buy for cheap. It's a hobby to buy cheap DVDs that will retain their value. I'm proud that most of my DVD's were either &quot;free&quot; through promo GC's or GoZing surveys or what have you. I'm not spending out of pocket money for them through renting them. They're mine for as long as I want them.

So, tell me, why would I rent them?

SavageDubz

Aug 8, 2000
Cherry,
If you've got a collection of 200+ DVDs, how often are you gonna watch each of em? Prolly no more than once, depending on the movie. Ok, 200 DVDs X Average of I dunno.... 15 dollars? That's 3,000 dollars for movies you won't watch too often. If you rent, you really aint gonna get 200 rentals for a long while...let's say you rent 1 - 2 movies a week...that's about 14-28 dollars a month. Won't even touch 3,000 dollars.

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
see what you started ROSSMAN?

:D

SavageDubz
I think you missed my point.

I don't own 200 DVD's. Quite frankly, there aren't 200 movies that I enjoy enough to watch more than once. But there are some that I'd watch 200 times. Those are the titles I own.

The ones I don't like I &quot;turn over&quot; and sell them or trade for ones I want. Besides, my point was that if I'm paying 1/3 the cost of a title I really want ($4 after tax) then I'm gonna buy the darn thing. If I take a chance on a movie I decide later that I don't like, I resell/trade whatever. It would take longer to spend $3000, no?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Renting DVDs isn't for everyone, especially not for me. I see all theatre movies for free (sister is an assistant manager) so when it comes out on DVD either I like it or don't, it's as simple as that.