I bought an i3-8100 the day it came out

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
I never used it and its sitting in the retail box. This thing is worth gold now since they are scarce!

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Its not scarce in my country. If anything no ones buying it because there's no cheap motherboards to pair it with.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
There is plenty of those CPUs in my country. I can buy them as low as 509 PLN, and I am pretty sure that this thing will go down to as low as 499 PLN at the beginning of the new year.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I bought one too, although I'm currently using mine. I think that they're a great match with the ASRock Z370 ITX/ac board, low wattage, pure quad-core performance, etc. Really nice little combo. That's close to the cheapest Z370 mobo on the market right now too. If only you could do significant BCLK OC to near 5Ghz, that would really make that combo special. Alas, the highest I was able to push BCLK out of the box was 102.7, and at the speed, the UEFI took away one of my top multis, lowering the multi to 35x, leaving me slower than without the BCLK OC!

I don't know that those are all that rare, I have to agree with @mohit9206 , I don't think that those CPUs are in very high demand yet, because the mobo side of the equation costs as much or more than the chip. And if you're going to spend that much on a mobo, might as well get a six-core "K" SKU and go all out and overclock to 5Ghz anyways.

But once you can get $50 B360 mobos? Yeah, it's on. Might even have shortages like the G4560 has. (There's a thread discussing that.)

I'll trade you a 240GB SSD for your NIB i3-8100, if you'd like, and your in CONUS.

LOL. Newegg's gouging, they want $129.99 + $0.99 ship, and they're OOS, and OutletPC (marketplace) wants $209.99 for it. Double LOL!

Considering that this CPU isn't much faster, if any at all, than a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU ($100 on ebay) overclocked to 3.8Ghz on stock cooling, none of this pricing makes any sense. Not to mention, overclockable B350 AM4 boards are $60-70, Z370 boards are $120+.

Crazy hype, that's all I gotta say. Not worth it.

Maybe you can cash in on the Hype and scalp it on ebay for $200?

Last edited:

majord

Jul 26, 2015
Seems an almost pointless SKU without low end chipset availabilty.. an i5 7500 + B250 (or lesser) can work out same or cheaper, and has a 3.8ghz turbo ratio.

That's just within the non-Ocable Intel ecosystem.. Ryzen's unlocked SKU's, OCable on cheap boards as already mentioned further destorys the value proposition.

Given they have an IGP, and are cheap for there stock performance, they will come into there own eventually when the rest of the chipset stack launches

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
I bought one too, although I'm currently using mine. I think that they're a great match with the ASRock Z370 ITX/ac board, low wattage, pure quad-core performance, etc. Really nice little combo. That's close to the cheapest Z370 mobo on the market right now too. If only you could do significant BCLK OC to near 5Ghz, that would really make that combo special. Alas, the highest I was able to push BCLK out of the box was 102.7, and at the speed, the UEFI took away one of my top multis, lowering the multi to 35x, leaving me slower than without the BCLK OC!

I don't know that those are all that rare, I have to agree with @mohit9206 , I don't think that those CPUs are in very high demand yet, because the mobo side of the equation costs as much or more than the chip. And if you're going to spend that much on a mobo, might as well get a six-core "K" SKU and go all out and overclock to 5Ghz anyways.

But once you can get $50 B360 mobos? Yeah, it's on. Might even have shortages like the G4560 has. (There's a thread discussing that.)

I'll trade you a 240GB SSD for your NIB i3-8100, if you'd like, and your in CONUS.

LOL. Newegg's gouging, they want $129.99 + $0.99 ship, and they're OOS, and OutletPC (marketplace) wants $209.99 for it. Double LOL!

Considering that this CPU isn't much faster, if any at all, than a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU ($100 on ebay) overclocked to 3.8Ghz on stock cooling, none of this pricing makes any sense. Not to mention, overclockable B350 AM4 boards are $60-70, Z370 boards are $120+.

Crazy hype, that's all I gotta say. Not worth it.

Maybe you can cash in on the Hype and scalp it on ebay for $200?

I think you'll find the i3 8100 still outperforms the 1200 @ 3.8GHz by a fair margin, especially in gaming (with a suitably fast GPU, of course)

Techspot has price/performance charts with the i3 8100 showing CPU value plus CPU/mobo value:
https://www.techspot.com/review/1499-intel-core-i3-8100-i3-8350K/page5.html

The i3 8100 desperately needs cheaper motherboards to be a great value. As it is, it is good value, but could be so much better.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Seems an almost pointless SKU without low end chipset availabilty.. an i5 7500 + B250 (or lesser) can work out same or cheaper, and has a 3.8ghz turbo ratio.

That's just within the non-Ocable Intel ecosystem.. Ryzen's unlocked SKU's, OCable on cheap boards as already mentioned further destorys the value proposition.

Given they have an IGP, and are cheap for there stock performance, they will come into there own eventually when the rest of the chipset stack launches

It's not a bad 'stopgap' if you intend to upgrade to a faster i5 / i7 further down the track. The i3 8100 still handles most current games relatively well, and for budget non gaming systems it has an IGP which pretty much negates the higher cost of the Z370 motherboard when compared with Ryzen, which lacks an IGP. All that being said, its still not ideal pairing an i3 8100 with a Z370 apart from the option to run memory faster than DDR4-2400... unless, like I said earlier, you intend to get an i5/i7 in the future, especially a K model.

Reactions: VirtualLarry