I bet nothing happens except prices skyrocket.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
This, I am at the point where I say any, even modest proposal will fail and just cost seats. Same with abortion, focus on something else. The political cost of getting something done is too great and doesn’t equal what got done.
I would perfer the focus be on job creation (good jobs not shitty jobs), taxation being lessened on working people increased on wealthy or bad businesses that don’t add value to the economy, voting and healthcare.
Look at it like this:
Would a modest gun ban be worth the cost of losing the House, Senate and possible the Presidency in 2024? Imagine all the turds the courts will get packed with in this example.

Yup, here we go with the Democrats snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, again.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Yup, here we go with the Democrats snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, again.
Yeah, the plan should be get us passed covid. Then shift focus to getting us out of the middle east (this can actually start now) and investing in infrastructure. We also need to address healthcare costs but that is going to involve deprograming the brainwashed folks on the right.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Stupid move, already contacted both my Senators and House Rep to vote no on this.

It's never going to pass, to begin with. Waste of time. Get's the rubes all upset that the Democrats are going to take their guns again or whatever.

Gun violence isn't caused by guns, it's caused by our collapsing society and people who are broken mentally because of our collapsing society.

Also: The Second Amendment is no longer just a right, it's a responsibility. Liberals safely owning and operating a firearm is the best deterrent to keep the fucking fascist conservatives away from our Capitol buildings.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Right but the mass shootings / stochastic terrorism events have an outsized effect on the public perception.

Also I think it's another part of the rural/urban divide (which cuts across race, economics, too). If white suburbia were subject to gang violence as much as black inner city areas, you bet they'd be calling for more regulation. Instead, school shootings are what captures the attention.

Benevolent Dictator Fenixgoon (tm) would ban all semi-auto firearms. Revolvers, pump action shotguns, and bolt-action rifles would be legal (
..muzzle loaders too, obviously).

With demographic shifts, I think it's something that might change towards the end of my life. I'd be surprised if in 2030 or 2040 that firearms were significantly more regulated than now.

Even if those events have outsized impact, my point was that there are too many of these assault weapons already in private hands, so banning the sale isn't likely to have much effect even on that subset of murders.

Nor is increased gun regulation in 2030-2040 unless at some point we have mandatory buy backs which given the radicalism of the right would likely result in significant violence.

We currently have 1.2 guns per person in this country, by far the highest rate in the world, more than 2x the next highest.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Even if those events have outsized impact, my point was that there are too many of these assault weapons already in private hands, so banning the sale isn't likely to have much effect even on that subset of murders.

Nor is increased gun regulation in 2030-2040 unless at some point we have mandatory buy backs which given the radicalism of the right would likely result in significant violence.

We currently have 1.2 guns per person in this country, by far the highest rate in the world, more than 2x the next highest.
Mandatory buybacks are a euphemism for turning a particular gun owner into a criminal. And you're right, it would cause a lot of violence, and should surprise no one. I'm not sure a hot civil war is worth taking away a particular rifle that isn't inherently evil, except that it looks scary to people who don't know what the gun is or why it's so prevalent.

I mean, are we banning the AR-15 platform itself, which can be used to fire .22LR ammunition? Or are we banning AR-15 because it's mostly used to fire .223/5.56 "high caliber" ammo that is often put into magazines that hold 30 or more rounds?

This is such a fucking losing issue that everytime I see Democrats getting hot and bothered about losing votes with these kinds of bills, I laugh and cringe at the same time. How many more times are Democrats going to own-goal themselves trying to do something that is either never going to happen, or literally cause a civil war?

Christ almighty, just pass out the fucking $1,400.00 checks, get the COVID vaccine distributed, and unfuck the country's infrastructure and decriminalize marijuana already. Quit trying to do the impossible and shedding voters while doing it. For fucks sake.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Banning assault rifles would be an almost worthless solution. First of all, a very small proportion of gun murders are committed with assault rifles (it's like 100-200 murders per year). Second, most if not all of those could/would happen using other weapons such as pistols or shotguns, even IF you could actually wave some kind of a magic wand and eliminate this class of weapons.

I agree with posts above that bans/regulations might not be super urgent, but I feel urgency to reduce violence. I just don't think bans of a small subset of weapons that are used in comparatively few murders is a logical way to achieve that. I feel far more urgency to increase spending on mental health: research, diagnosis, treatment, and cures if possible. I also feel urgency to end the war on drugs, which directly and indirectly leads to a lot of gun violence and murder. I think addressing those 2 issues would also lead to very measurable and positive results in lowering gun violence.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Banning assault rifles would be an almost worthless solution. First of all, a very small proportion of gun murders are committed with assault rifles (it's like 100-200 murders per year). Second, most if not all of those could/would happen using other weapons such as pistols or shotguns, even IF you could actually wave some kind of a magic wand and eliminate this class of weapons.

I agree with posts above that bans/regulations might not be super urgent, but I feel urgency to reduce violence. I just don't think bans of a small subset of weapons that are used in comparatively few murders is a logical way to achieve that. I feel far more urgency to increase spending on mental health: research, diagnosis, treatment, and cures if possible. I also feel urgency to end the war on drugs, which directly and indirectly leads to a lot of gun violence and murder. I think addressing those 2 issues would also lead to very measurable and positive results in lowering gun violence.
Almost all "gun violence" is because of poverty, drug prohibition and the guaranteed creation of black markets for drugs, and mental health issues of people who are living in our mentally unhealthy society. In essence, it's a symptom of a sick society.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Almost all "gun violence" is because of poverty, drug prohibition and the guaranteed creation of black markets for drugs, and mental health issues of people who are living in our mentally unhealthy society. In essence, it's a symptom of a sick society.
And 1.2 guns/capita in the USA isn't?

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I hate guns, and gun nuts. I'd be all for a full semi-auto ban. But this is stupid right now, and at any point in the near future.

If you do anything with guns it should be universal background checks, and maybe raising the age for all firearms/ammo to 21.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I hate guns, and gun nuts. I'd be all for a full semi-auto ban. But this is stupid right now, and at any point in the near future.

If you do anything with guns it should be universal background checks, and maybe raising the age for all firearms/ammo to 21.
The boys at Columbine were 17 and never took a background check.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The boys at Columbine were 17 and never took a background check.
Like I said, I'd prefer they all be banned. But that isn't happening any time soon, so get what you can.

Also, I think people should be charged hard if their guns are used in crimes by others. So many "responsible" gun owners have no idea how to lock their shit up.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
it is possibly a symptom. It is not a cause.
Isn't there a small number of people who throw the number off? Something interesting I just notices is out of the almost 400M guns in the US only abut 1M are registered.

I don't think there are a ton of things you can do to drastically lower gun violence. The root case isn't the guns it is things like fear, desperation, mental illness and poverty. There wasn't a single shooting in the neighborhood I grew up in and I knew plenty of families who owned guns.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This thread reminds me of what a normal presidency looks like. Just because you voted for someone doesn't mean you have to worship them and pretend all their decisions are divine.
Yeah but the problem is only Democrats actually believe that.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005

I don't know why this part doesn't get more attention. It's entirely predictable that when you create a lucrative, violent black market, that you will get more murder. Sometimes I feel that some people are so hell bent on banning guns and regulations as the only solution to this problem, that they completely overlook some easier, quicker, more effective wins such as ending the war on drugs. It can come across as if gun bans/regulations are the actual goal instead of a reduction of violence.

Reactions: nickqt

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I'm all for the universal background checks and age limits. But look:

The ban on assault weapons has very deep meaning. When I went to school nobody gave a thought to the possibility that we might get shot any minute. NOBODY. Now, there's not a school in America where this is true. The kids are terrorized. They have drills. They are basically taught to imagine that someone is going to burst in any second with a machine gun and kill everyone in the classroom. Banning assault weapons, in fact making it a very serious crime to be in possession of one, would go a long way toward relieving this very grievous situation.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm all for the universal background checks and age limits. But look:

The ban on assault weapons has very deep meaning. When I went to school nobody gave a thought to the possibility that we might get shot any minute. NOBODY. Now, there's not a school in America where this is true. The kids are terrorized. They have drills. They are basically taught to imagine that someone is going to burst in any second with a machine gun and kill everyone in the classroom. Banning assault weapons, in fact making it a very serious crime to be in possession of one, would go a long way toward relieving this very grievous situation.
One of the most shocking things I saw was "how will our kids practice active shooter drills if they're not in school?"
Goddamn that was a punch to the gut

Reactions: Muse

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Damn straight. Too often the only option is an SMS text and with the issues around malicious apps and SIM swapping we need more focus on Multi Factor Authentication

if you have ATT, set a passcode in your account. No passy no changey.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Really? Gun control before a million more useful things like voting rights? This is the least important issue right now and pisses off a lot of people (many Dems included). Stupid. Stick to universal background checks, and do it after doing things that matter more.

Reactions: nickqt