I believe one day the world will declare war on carnivorous animals

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
Maybe thousands of years in the future after we solved all poverty issues on the planet I believe the world will decide that we have to get rid of all carnivorous animals to make a more peaceful world and that eating meat ourselves will be illegal too.

What do you think?

I think I'm moving this from P&N to OT.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Pancakes with bacon, mmm. Let the syrup flow onto the bacon, mmm, even better.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
to-all-hunters-who-kill-animals-you-ought-to-go-to-store-and-buy-meat-that-was-made-there-where-no-animals-were-harmed-quote-remember-this-person-probably-drives-votes-and-may-have-reproduced.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Okay, now that the thread in in ATOT, a more serious answer. Humans have all but exterminated the vast majority of carnivores. I think we can lighten up a bit.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Pppppancakes with.... Bacon? Why have I not thought of this myself...

Anyway, as per the OP, I do believe its a possible timestream for us, a future where we have resolved our ethical and moral dissonance not only inter species but from a holistic frame of reference as to all living critters.
I mean common guys... to farm and mass murder animals under the cruelest of conditions so that I can eat their meat? Well knowing it is at a whole not necessary and only dependent on a life long conditioning of my taste buds? Red cow meat yum?
Barbaric.

;)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We're already making strides in lab-grown meat, so I think you're off your chump and should consider getting a head start on the coming lunacy by eating yourself.

Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Thousands of years into the future, we will be eating our food telepathically.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I heard that they're going to go after people who struggle with advanced level math next!

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe thousands of years in the future after we solved all poverty issues on the planet I believe the world will decide that we have to get rid of all carnivorous animals to make a more peaceful world and that eating meat ourselves will be illegal too.

What do you think?

I think I'm moving this from P&N to OT.
admin allisolm
Summoning the beast of OT then:
@Mayne
@shortylickens
@brianmanahan

ill leave the typo in.

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
so this thread made me think long and hard.

i think meat will eventually be lab-grown and we will switch to eating that. it'll be more expensive but people will still be able to get it.

ironically this could result in the extinction or near extinction of a number of domesticated animal that are raised for meat, primarily pigs. i think individual breeds will disappear but the species will not, because some of them will be kept around as zoo animals.

as for killing off carnivores... nah, we won't do it, at least if the trend of eco-friendly net-zero living continues. that's how they survive and i don't think we'll interfere.

all this did make me think though: a large percentage of beings with nervous systems in the history of the world likely died horrible, painful deaths. many species are almost guaranteed to be ripped to shreds and painfully devoured by carnivores at some point in their short lives.

they just happen to have offspring fast enough to compensate. but all that does is create more sentient beings that die agonizing deaths.

perhaps the definition of a life well lived is simply one where you aren't eaten alive.

Reactions: BurnItDwn

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
so this thread made me think long and hard.

i think meat will eventually be lab-grown and we will switch to eating that. it'll be more expensive but people will still be able to get it.

ironically this could result in the extinction or near extinction of a number of domesticated animal that are raised for meat, primarily pigs. i think individual breeds will disappear but the species will not, because some of them will be kept around as zoo animals.

as for killing off carnivores... nah, we won't do it, at least if the trend of eco-friendly net-zero living continues. that's how they survive and i don't think we'll interfere.

all this did make me think though: a large percentage of beings with nervous systems in the history of the world likely died horrible, painful deaths. many species are almost guaranteed to be ripped to shreds and painfully devoured by carnivores at some point in their short lives.

they just happen to have offspring fast enough to compensate. but all that does is create more sentient beings that die agonizing deaths.

perhaps the definition of a life well lived is simply one where you aren't eaten alive.

But pigs in the wild actually get to live a life before being eaten.

Farm pigs are in the pen the size of their body from birth to death. At scale.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
But pigs in the wild actually get to live a life before being eaten.

Farm pigs are in the pen the size of their body from birth to death. At scale.
Feral pigs are basically man with no restraint.

There is no shame in hunting them. In fact, even with hunting, the population is not dwindling.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
From my research, massive pig farms and other animals such as cows and chickens are not good for the environment (land and water), especially the massive number of waste products from those farms.

Overflowing Hog Lagoons Raise Environmental Concerns In North Carolina : NPR

I love to eat meat but I understand we can't continue this massive scale of industrial meat processing forever. And now developing countries have more money, therefore, they eat more meat and the cycle continues but even bigger scale.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Pppppancakes with.... Bacon? Why have I not thought of this myself...

Anyway, as per the OP, I do believe its a possible timestream for us, a future where we have resolved our ethical and moral dissonance not only inter species but from a holistic frame of reference as to all living critters.
I mean common guys... to farm and mass murder animals under the cruelest of conditions so that I can eat their meat? Well knowing it is at a whole not necessary and only dependent on a life long conditioning of my taste buds? Red cow meat yum?
Barbaric.

;)
No utopia will ever come about on this planet. You would need a lot of money, lot of resources, and an incorruptible humans. All three can be not present, and the last thing not existing is basically something as old as time itself.

Reactions: Zeze

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sounds like someone who grew up in city when the passed the codes to ban owning livestock in residentially zoned areas. Back in the day, big cities like Shanghai allowed street selling of chickens. And of course...those chickens would eventually have to be slayed.

He probably thinks vets truly put animals to "sleep" in a bed and cares for them for free in some facility and not kill them with an injection.

Humans don't mind death all the time, they just mind it when there is a visually conspicuous process of death.

Hunting depends on what is being hunted. Hunting common animals that can replace their losses like deer are probably less taxing on the environment than farmed animals.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It will never happen. On earth. Meat will become more expensive but available to those who can afford it, whether at a grocery store or owning the land to raise stock. The poor masses will eat soylent green.

Except for fish. Once the oceans get bad enough that the fish are dead, we're screwed anyway.