Question I believe my internet connection is been attacked, possible DDOS? (Help/Suggestions)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I am not sure what type of attacks can happen to a private home network if DDOS or something different. I've used this ISP for over 5 years and never had this issue. Due to the persistent issue that started this past week I had done a fresh install of Windows 10 but the issue is still occurring. My connection during gaming is terrible. At first I thought it was the Rust server I was playing but is not. Every server I tried had the same issue. I rubber band I lag and I lose connection typical DDOS. Then I tried Call of Duty Cold War and to my surprise the same issue still occurred. Games online are unplayable. I reseted the Modem/Router but the issue still occurs.
I have Malwarebytes with Online protection but that's never been an issue as a matter of fact its really has protected my computer from Threats. I was wondering what options I may have at this point? Will asking my ISP to switch my Router/Modem help at all? or what other options do I have? Online game is ruined by this issue, its really that bad

Appreciate any help I can get.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Does it only happen on online gaming? what about streaming video? any issues with youtube?

Have you run a speed test, what latency and jitter do you get.
What ISP? DSL or Cable? DOCSIS version, and gateway model?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I am not sure what type of attacks can happen to a private home network if DDOS or something different. I've used this ISP for over 5 years and never had this issue. Due to the persistent issue that started this past week I had done a fresh install of Windows 10 but the issue is still occurring. My connection during gaming is terrible. At first I thought it was the Rust server I was playing but is not. Every server I tried had the same issue. I rubber band I lag and I lose connection typical DDOS. Then I tried Call of Duty Cold War and to my surprise the same issue still occurred. Games online are unplayable. I reseted the Modem/Router but the issue still occurs.
I have Malwarebytes with Online protection but that's never been an issue as a matter of fact its really has protected my computer from Threats. I was wondering what options I may have at this point? Will asking my ISP to switch my Router/Modem help at all? or what other options do I have? Online game is ruined by this issue, its really that bad

Appreciate any help I can get.

Quoted to get a notification sent to you, forgot that on my first reply.

It could be ISP issue especially if it's a cable provider.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Does it only happen on online gaming? what about streaming video? any issues with youtube?

Have you run a speed test, what latency and jitter do you get.
What ISP? DSL or Cable? DOCSIS version, and gateway model?
I will be honest I called someone a Troll on a forum on Steam discussions a few weeks ago and they got angry lol ever since is when my issue started. I have the feeling they were the ones attacking my internet somehow. I think I found a solution online. What I did was run ipconfig/renew in command prompt and so far the 40 minutes I tested I had no issues where as before I was getting timed out of Rust every 2 minutes. Going to run some Cold War for a bit see if it happens there because both games were having issues.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Ok, but you stated you've had this ISP for 5 years, are you using a ISP provided gateway? are you on DSL or Cable? If cable do you know what DOCSIS version of modem you have?

Or are you playing on private servers where someone could be able to figure out your IP address?

Reason im asking about DOCSIS version is because if your modem is D2.0 you need the ISP to replace that.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Ok, but you stated you've had this ISP for 5 years, are you using a ISP provided gateway? are you on DSL or Cable? If cable do you know what DOCSIS version of modem you have?

Or are you playing on private servers where someone could be able to figure out your IP address?

Reason im asking about DOCSIS version is because if your modem is D2.0 you need the ISP to replace that.
Well I am really not sure. I've had this same modem for close to 3 years now never had a single issue except regular outages every now and then but my issue was resolved by doing the steps above. So far so good. Thank you for the help.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hey thank you for the reply fellas. I just got a brand new Modem/Router from my ISP to replace the old one. Going to test that out first see if there is any issues.

Thank you all

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I will be honest I called someone a Troll on a forum on Steam discussions a few weeks ago and they got angry lol ever since is when my issue started. I have the feeling they were the ones attacking my internet somehow.

There is no way they could of gotten your ip to do a ddos attack from the forums on steam unless they have powers like me as a MOD.
And if a Mod on steam is doing that, well, that's a quick way to get terminated and also ready for a hell of a law suit to both steam and the guy, for leaking private information.

So i honestly think its your ISP or a hardware issue on your side or the ISP NODE.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
There is no way they could of gotten your ip to do a ddos attack from the forums on steam unless they have powers like me as a MOD.
And if a Mod on steam is doing that, well, that's a quick way to get terminated and also ready for a hell of a law suit to both steam and the guy, for leaking private information.

So i honestly think its your ISP or a hardware issue on your side or the ISP NODE.
That's the thing I don't know how that stuff works just happens to be coincidence that after I said something the issue started happening but getting a Free Router/Modem replacement from the ISP has completely resolved the issue. My internet now works flawless again.,

Reactions: aigomorla