I baked my video card...

E-baby

Jul 19, 2010
AND IT IS WORKING GREAT!!! Actually it is running about 15 degrees cooler then before i did :D.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You should bake yourself, much more rewarding :)

Seriously though good for you! I have done this in the past and had it work once and fail once, but if its not working anyways its not like you have anyhting to lose. Its kinda sad that something so simple can fix the design flaws that hundreds of engineers couldnt fix.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
There really needs to be a sticky on baking video cards.
bakinginstructionslarge.jpg

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
It worked for my dead 8800 GTX for about a week. I should strip it back down and give it a shot again, probably at 400-415F for 10 minutes this time.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
385f doesn't melt the plastic connectors?

No, but it can harm capacitors, etc (check labels!). As an engineer, I was a bit embarrassed to pull out my dead HD3650 only to find it to be even more deader... The capacitors were all leaking :(.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I baked my 8800GTS 640mb FOUR TIMES in the row. Sometimes in a gas oven, and sometimes in a Black & Decker toaster oven. The card was still going strong 4 years and counting. I am sure I could have continued to bake it every time it would start acting up, but for some funny reason, after the 4th bake it was working perfectly for months, with no end in sight. Apparently 4th time was the charm. Anyway, I ended up selling it on ebay for $130, (which I regret, because a card like this might have lasted a lifetime) and it's still working in the buyer's PC with no issues whatsoever.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I baked my 8800GTS 640mb FOUR TIMES in the row. Sometimes in a gas oven, and sometimes in a Black & Decker toaster oven. The card was still going strong 4 years and counting. I am sure I could have continued to bake it every time it would start acting up, but for some funny reason, after the 4th bake it was working perfectly for months, with no end in sight. Apparently 4th time was the charm. Anyway, I ended up selling it on ebay for $130, (which I regret, because a card like this might have lasted a lifetime) and it's still working in the buyer's PC with no issues whatsoever.

When do you know when is the time to bake the card? Is it:
a) When you feel hungry?
b) When you lose a game?
c) When there is a lag spike?
d) When you feel bored?
e) When you start seeing smokes coming from the card?
or f) When you really want a new card?

poor video card: "I am aged, please put me in the junk box master."
master: "NEVER! You either keep serving me hard, or be killed in the oven!"

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
When do you know when is the time to bake the card? Is it:
a) When you feel hungry?
b) When you lose a game?
c) When there is a lag spike?
d) When you feel bored?
e) When you start seeing smokes coming from the card?
or f) When you really want a new card?

master: "NEVER! You either keep serving me hard, or be killed in the oven!"

ROFL ; )

master: "NEVER! You either keep serving me hard, or be baked AGAIN in the oven and continue serving me hard for all eternity! Muhahahaa (insert evil laugh here)

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
to OP, you lucky your baked board didn't cause any electrical problem with your machine, it could possibly blow up the PSU and put the rest of the gears in danger. but lucky you.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
to OP, you lucky your baked board didn't cause any electrical problem with your machine, it could possibly blow up the PSU and put the rest of the gears in danger. but lucky you.

You do realize baking certain graphics cards is a popular fix with an average to high success rate, right? It's not luck, it's a calculated risk with a high success rate.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Maybe if you had a no-name PSU. Real PSUs have protection circuits. Unless you have a PSU designed to output >100 amps on a single rail, its only a semi-short, AND it has bad over current regulation there really isn't much harm in short circuiting a PSU.