I attended a Microsoft High Performance Computing summit

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
So the most recent Microsoft High Performance Computing Summit was held near me, and I just signed up as a partner, I had nothing else scheduled, so I went.

The whole thing focused on parallel computing.

I used to work for a prominent organization that would benefit greatly from adaptation to a multithreading/distributed paradigm. The shift to a multithreaded paradigm has been of interest to me since...well around the time Amdah's law stopped working.

Attendance itself was free. Everyone I met there was from another geographical area, meaning they definitely had to fly there and stay there at the company's expense. So it was a bigger deal than just a "drop-in" kind of casual thing.

In one sense, in terms of level of establishment in the field, I was completely, I guess, overclassed. So in that sense I was basically in awe of some of these people, and wondering how one actually becomes what that person is.

In terms of understanding the concepts that we were talking about, I was right along with them, and definitely ahead of some of the people.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where when you run into professionals in certain fields, you can totally hold your own (if not surpass some in insight), but if it came to paper credentials to back that up, there's nothing there to support it?

I mean things like fields of study are you hobby, not that you just happen to know.

For example, in addition to distributed computing, my hobbies include auto racing, aerodynamics, chemistry,and pharmacology.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: dquan97
any freebies?

I don't think this is the kind of conferene that would give out many freebies.

OP: Cool! I'm starting graduate school in CFD in the fall, so HPC is naturally of interest to me. What went on at this summit? Was this a CS-ish thing or more applications oriented? (By CS-ish I mean developing more/better frameworks for developers to more easily implement [massively] parallel algorithms; by applications I mean different fields talking about what HPC can do for them in the near/distant future.)

OfficeLinebacker

Mar 2, 2005
By freebies I assume you mean SWAG--No.

This event was at a level beyond that. People were spending hundreds of dollars just to attend.

Exposure to the wild world of HPC and getting to meet/see people that have had a career path that is the stuff of dreams was worth it. I know we were shown some slides that were marked "Microsoft Confidential." It's probably info that is public by now, but it was kind of cool.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Actually MS is sponsoring/hosting the "SciDAC Oriented Tutorials" in July 18 in Redmond, following the main SciDAC meeting in Seattle (July 13-17). I'd love to go but I'll be in China at that time so it's pretty much impossible. Maybe you'd be interested? Their website is https://outreach.scidac.gov/scidac08/tutorials