I am still sore from working out 2 weeks ago.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CatchPhrase, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CatchPhrase

CatchPhrase Senior member

Last time I lifted weights was 2 weeks ago and my triceps are still sore. I eat a good amount of protein and sleep fine. I am in good shape overall as in not obese. Could anybody here tell me what is happening?

Moved to Health and Fitness.

minendo
    Forum Administrator

2. rival

rival Diamond Member

you're a wuss, or need to stretch those muscles out more

3. KLin

KLin Lifer

And drink a helluva lot more water.

4. CatchPhrase

CatchPhrase Senior member

I have stretched it out plenty (before lifting also) and my water intake is nearly a gallon a day.

5. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

as has been said... stretching, water, and protein are essential to combat muscle soreness.
    but if you worked our 2 weeks ago, and are sore, then I'm assuming that was your first time working out in awhile? How hard did you work out? Did you stretch afterward? You have to ease your muscles into lifting, because remember, you are making small tears in your muscles when you work out, which is what the soreness is during recovery. But recovery should be fast. If you are still sore, it definitely sounds like you aren't hydrating or eating well.

+

6. SociallyChallenged

You overworked them. I've noticed that this problem stays around with beginners when they do especially high volume. What did your workout consist of and do you normally lift? Do you normally exercise? .You gotta ease into it and you might wanna do less volume, more weight, but we'll see when we get your answers. Sorry that you're so sore though. That's always a bust.

7. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

I would be surprised if there is any actual proof that protein, water, stretching has a significant impact on DOMs. Two weeks from a workout and still sore is incredible, though. The most I've ever had was 8 days (did tons of sets after a long layoff), and generally making it to 6 days post-workout and still feeling it is very rare, at least for me.

8. presidentender

presidentender Golden Member

I did the same thing to my biceps once. You just worked too hard. It will go away eventually.

9. SociallyChallenged

Protein reduces postexercise muscle soreness.

Dehydration related to increase in delayed onset muscle soreness.

Stretching is good for before and after working out because it allows you to be more flexible and such, but it has not been proven to reduce DOMS. So to avoid DOMS, drink a ton of water and make sure you get at least 1g protein/lb of lean body mass. Also, don't overwork your muscles. If you're working them so they're sore two weeks later, you're doing something wrong. Also, if you are on a strenuous workout routine, watch out for rhabdomyolysis. The main sign of it is brown/dark, dark yellow urine. Go to the E.R. immediately if you have that at any point. I had it during water polo and was sore for 2-3 weeks everywhere. I could barely walk and it was terrible. I didn't know what it was until later, I watched a medical show that talked about a guy who fell 5+ stories out of a window. They were watching for brown urine, which would mean the guy's risks for death were severely increased. It's pretty bad, so if any of you ever pee brown, go get it checked out immediately.

10. gramboh

gramboh Platinum Member

The worst I ever had was getting back into the gym after 6 or 8 months off and doing 3 bicep exercises (3 sets each) to failure. I couldn't extend my arms fully for like 2 or 3 days after, and they were sore for over a week. 2 weeks is a really long time though, might want to see PT if it doesn't go away.

11. Atty

Atty Golden Member

Eat some banana. Always helps my soreness go away. The worst I've ever had it was doing Squats and having my quads hurt for about 3 days but thats really the only time I've been sore for more then a few hours. I'm just lucky, I can max out every muscle group to the point of failure and a few hours later (if I've eaten something, especially some banana or protein) I'll feel fine, my energy levels will be a bit low, but my muscles won't hurt.

Try icing them down maybe.

12. SociallyChallenged

Agreed. I eat a banana every single day after/before lifting. I believe it's the amount of potassium in it that helps, but I may be mistaken. Either way, it helps me stay energetic and feel less sore. Good advice, iAtticus :) I forgot about that.

13. KoolDrew

KoolDrew Lifer

In addition to what was said above, massage it with a tennis ball. Just like a deep tissue massage.

And yes, I'm serious. A foam roller works great, but for arms and chest I use a tennis ball and it has the same effect.

14. skace

skace Lifer

Why haven't you lifted again in the last 2 weeks?

15. StageLeft

StageLeft No Lifer

Oh well, I have to admit I suck, I guess water/protein will help :)

16. Invisible Evil

Invisible Evil Golden Member

Excellent information in here. I have started weightlifting just to get in shape, along with other cardio. I am REAL sore I figured it was because i wasnt taking in something, PLUS I havnt lifted since High School!