I am so confused about my college choices (biomed engineering).......

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
Ok, so I am a junior this year, but all i have ever been interested in is engineering. A friend of mine went to Duke this year to study biomedical engineering. This sparked my interest, and I have already decided that I would now like to focus on schools with good biomedical engineering programs. I have been researching different schools and have come across the usual MIT, Duke, and Johns Hopkins as excellent biomed schools, but in the last few weeks I have discovered that places like Penn have excellent biomed programs. Basically I am overwhelmed with my choices. I am looking for personal opinions because all the college lit stuff says the same "this schools awesome blah blah blah". I don?t really know what to look for in a biomed program and what even makes a biomed prog good. If anyone could shed some light on this subject and recommend some schools, I would greatly appreciate it. Here is my list so far:

Stanford
MIT
Caltech
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Northwestern
Cornel
Rice
Penn

Granted I don?t know what my chance are at each one of these schools, I am just looking for opinions/advice/recommendations or what ever you feel is pertinent to this topic. I appreciate any information you can give me.
Steven

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Well, I have a BS in BME and am currently in grad school for BME. Just because a school boasts as being great in a general area, does not mean that it is good in a specific area you might be interested in. BME is a very large, broad field and you should really look into the areas you might possibly be interested. Do you like mechanics, then look for schools with strong biomechanics or biomaterials programs. Strong in chemistry? Then go for schools that offer a good biosensor program, (again) biomaterials, or tissue engineering programs.

PM me if you have questions.

EDIT: Keep in mind that if you decide to go for a degree in BME, you might as well plan on getting your MS b.c. your chances of finding any great job with a BS is limited.

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
What have your grades been like ?

I have an unweighted average of low A to high B, 9 AP?s, every honors course I have been allowed to take. I haven?t taken the sat yet but ill hopefully score 1300-1400. Lots of varsity sports, a few mvps, a few most improved, and plenty of service. I can delve into details if anyone would like.
I am also a Native American, which happens to be probably the most unrepresented of the UMR?s, and I hate to say it, but I plan on taking full advantage of that.

Do you like mechanics, then look for schools with strong biomechanics or biomaterials programs.

I was originally interested in mechanical engineering, but I have always been fascinated with medicine...so I though that combining the two would give me the best of both worlds. If I must get even more specific, I find Nanotechnology to be one of the most interesting things I have ever read about. Would it be a good or bad idea to go into my freshman with something as specific as Nanotech, or should I start with a broader field and work my way down to the specific towards the end of my schooling?

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
Yeah that's what my advice would be as well. A bme degree at this point is really an application of
the classical engineering fields to the biomed area. While i dont want to deter you from going into that
area, it might be wisest to chose something like ME with a focus in BME to figure out what you want to do
in Grad school. Grad school is usually much more important than undergrad.

dM

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
i'm a molecular bio undergrad that goes to cornell (notice the two l's at the end, :p) and i think the program is great. what's amazing about cornell is the amount of research opportunities available to undergraduates - it's atypical for 50%+ of the students w/in a major to conduct research within their field, but it happens here w/ many programs. 3 undergrads in our lab actually co-authored research papers, one of which was published in nature biotech. the lab i work in is fairly progressive, and we'll be moving into a new lab next year. cornell is also finshing up construciton on the new nanotech building. you may wonder what that has to do with biology, but nanotech is creeping into almost every field. check out my lab's webpage - i've actually just finished working on it the past week or so. some of the links are broken because the site is under constuction, but you can learn a little bit about our research and skim some of our publications as well.

http://luolabs.bee.cornell.edu

=|

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
academically, I don't mean to be harsh, but I doubt that you'll have much of a chance at the top-tier schools, but I don't know how much help you'll get being NA. My sister is applying to Stanford and John Hopkins with a 4.0, varsity bball and lacrosse, with tons of service, and I'm still doubtful that she'll get in (we're Chinese, if that makes a difference)

But as for the schools, have you considered the Univ of Michigan? They would be much more in line with your academics, and will have the new Life Sciences Initiative started by the time you get here (UM threw tons of money into the program, it's destined to be one of the best in the nation)

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: stevens
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
What have your grades been like ?

I have an unweighted average of low A to high B, 9 AP?s, every honors course I have been allowed to take. I haven?t taken the sat yet but ill hopefully score 1300-1400. Lots of varsity sports, a few mvps, a few most improved, and plenty of service. I can delve into details if anyone would like.
I am also a Native American, which happens to be probably the most unrepresented of the UMR?s, and I hate to say it, but I plan on taking full advantage of that.

Do you like mechanics, then look for schools with strong biomechanics or biomaterials programs.

I was originally interested in mechanical engineering, but I have always been fascinated with medicine...so I though that combining the two would give me the best of both worlds. If I must get even more specific, I find Nanotechnology to be one of the most interesting things I have ever read about. Would it be a good or bad idea to go into my freshman with something as specific as Nanotech, or should I start with a broader field and work my way down to the specific towards the end of my schooling?

I clicked quote to say something negative about your chances because your grades and such wouldn't get you into a lot of the schools you've listed, but I didn't read about the fact you're Native American. You're a shoe-in virtually anywhere then, especially now with your grades and sports. Good luck to you.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
academically, I don't mean to be harsh, but I doubt that you'll have much of a chance at the top-tier schools, but I don't know how much help you'll get being NA. My sister is applying to Stanford and John Hopkins with a 4.0, varsity bball and lacrosse, with tons of service, and I'm still doubtful that she'll get in (we're Chinese, if that makes a difference)

Hello? That makes a HUGE difference. :)

fyleow

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2002
With your academic record I wouldn't count on getting into many of those schools. My cousin went to Duke and did economics and a minor in Chinese. He had a 1600 SAT on his first try, a 4.0 unweighted GPA at a private school, and crazy water polo (he won tournaments etc)

Oh and both his mom and dad went to Stanford.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Try Tulane. You'd most definitely get a scholarship and will have the wonderful opportunity of going to college in New Orleans. The BME department is pretty darn good too.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
I agree, I doubt you can get into most of those schools; you're not dumb, but those schools are just for the best of the best. By the way, I'm in a biomed engineer (at the University of Cincinnati) so if you have any questions about the major, let me know.

Misc info: Most biomedical engineering companies are on the two coasts - if you live in the midwest like I do, it'll be harder to find a place. In addition, although BME is growing rapidly, it's still relatively obscure compared to the established engineering fields like mechanical and chemical so it's not going to be easy finding many companies hiring biomeds, but you can be sure it's not going to dwindle in the next decade or two (unless the Indians are going to monopolize this field too).

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I am one of the few people in my department with a BS in BME and I feel I have an advantage because I have a much more extensive knowledge of chemistry, physiology, and biology than those with a EE and ME background. As it has been said, the whole point with BME is to take be able to take the multiple facets of engineering and apply them to medicine. Biotech companies are now starting to learn that BMEs have a significant role in their research b.c. of their life science background. For example, a EE can design the circuitry for a pacemaker, yet if he doesn't know the immune response of the body, coagulation cascade, and physiology, his device would be worthless....enter the BME.

A BS in BME is far too general; however, it gives you enough of a basis to know what areas you might be interested in. You can go more toward the EE aspect or the ME aspect once you reach grad school. I find that a lot of the student who have a ME limit are limited to mechanical tracks in the department b.c. that's all they know. Same goes for EE people in the program. A BME, since their education is dieverse, have a wider selection of areas to specialize in. I focused on biomechanics in undergrad, but I've found I love biosensors, which is more a ChemE field. Would a strict ME be able to handle a biosensors project....maybe, but the learning curve would be far steeper for him.

My advice is to pick your top schools and visit them. Talk to professors and the students and tour their labs. That is the only way you will really be able to make your decision because anything can sound good on paper.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Stanford and Cal Tech don't give a crap whether you're Native American. Affirmative Action -> banned in California.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
hey, don't forget our favorite 2nd/3rd ranked Engineering school in the nation, UC Berkeley :)

stevens

Aug 11, 2001
Originally posted by: fyleow
With your academic record I wouldn't count on getting into many of those schools. My cousin went to Duke and did economics and a minor in Chinese. He had a 1600 SAT on his first try, a 4.0 unweighted GPA at a private school, and crazy water polo (he won tournaments etc)

I am just wondering what schools I should be looking at in term of program quality. I never asked anyone to critique my chances. I am aiming high and maybe too high, but I will never know unless I apply. I am a poor standardized test taker which reflects my probable sat scores, but my extracurriculars balance out my transcript nicely imo. I do have fallback schools, but I am not particularly interested in going to any of them, which is why I am trying to get as much information as I can before I have to make any decisions.

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
hey, don't listen to these people about you not being qualified enough. i got a 1210 on my SAT's and i'm a molecular bio and economics double major at cornell. i have a 3.5 overall and pulling a 3.7 in my econ major. i also work part time (avg 15hrs week) and i do research. if you have the opportunity, apply. just sell yourself well - everyone has qualities that are unique and are appealing to recruiters. what distinguished me from other candidates was my focus and drive. i came in to cornell unprepared, yet i'm performing better than ~80% of students (cornell grades on a bell curve.) recruiters were able to spot these qualities from my applications. the key is to market yourself and not to lay down because of the so-called "requirements." i was told by many individuals that i wouldn't get into cornell. well guess what, i said "fvck you, i'm getting in" and i applied anyway.

you'll do just fine.

=|

Insomnium

Aug 8, 2000
If you're a Native American, you're practically guaranteed to get into any school you want (assuming it doesn't bar Affirmative Action). I know a Navajo girl who had very subpar SAT scores and subpar high school grades and got into Yale over far more talented individuals. I really hate to say it, but you mind as well take advantage of your ethnic background to see where it gets you.

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Stevens,
Look at the curriculum for the schools.
Is it heavily sided in one field (e.g. EE, ME)?
What type of tracks are offered (you'll usually be able to focus on a track even during undergrad)?
What life sciences courses will you be able to take?
What can the school offer you that is unique when compared to the others?
What is the faculty to student ratio?
Does the school help with internships or research work?

I went to VCU largely b.c. they paid for my education, but also because of the program. It was somewhat unique because students were required to go on medical rounds with the medical students at MCV to observe how BME is currently used in medicine. Sure, it's kinda corny, but I got to observe surgeries and other things few other students would be able to do. It's things like that which set programs apart.

fyleow

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: stevens
Originally posted by: fyleow

I am just wondering what schools I should be looking at in term of program quality. I never asked anyone to critique my chances. I am aiming high and maybe too high, but I will never know unless I apply. I am a poor standardized test taker which reflects my probable sat scores, but my extracurriculars balance out my transcript nicely imo. I do have fallback schools, but I am not particularly interested in going to any of them, which is why I am trying to get as much information as I can before I have to make any decisions.

Extracurriculars are not a supplement for SAT scores, they are used to distinguish you from all the other people getting 4.0s and 1600 SATs. I have a 4.0 UC weighted GPA and a 1450 SAT 1 score. I am applying to Reed, Williams, and Rice and I do not expect to get into any of them. My realistic school right now is UCSD. Good luck though.

I have a friend who is practically a math genius and he is applying to MIT. He is ranked #14 in the nation for mathematical contests. He has won many many awards, has a 4.0 unweighted and a 1590 SAT. He scored 800 X 3 on his SAT IIs. He has taken something like 10 AP tests, even on classes he never took because he self studied. His math skills are way beyond calculus and he has exhausted all the options at the local community college (I think the last math he took was Advanced Linear Algebra).

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Stanford and Cal Tech don't give a crap whether you're Native American. Affirmative Action -> banned in California.

banned in public schools. privates can do whatever they want. (well last time i checked anyways.)

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Those are all good schools. Just do some research on your own. People on the Internet will tell you to go to Bubbaville State because their cousin's boyfriend's pig's sister told them it was supposedly good in some particular field.

Here are the rankings for GRADUATE bme schools (not undergraduate). Maybe it can help you a little bit in checking out some programs.

1. Johns Hopkins University (MD)
2. Duke University (NC)
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
4. University of California?San Diego
5. University of Washington
6. Georgia Institute of Technology
7. Case Western Reserve University (OH)
8. University of Pennsylvania
9. University of California?Berkeley / University of California?San Francisco
10. University of Michigan?Ann Arbor
11. Boston University
12. Rice University (TX)
13. Columbia University (Fu Foundation) (NY)
14. Northwestern University (IL)
15. Stanford University (CA)
16. University of Utah
Washington University in St. Louis
18. University of Virginia
19. Cornell University (NY)
20. University of Texas?Austin

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Check out the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign too. We certainly do as much as we can with AA too as frickin' Nancy Cantor is our chancelor.

Wow, I'm surprised UIUC isn't on that list in the post above since we have a top engineering school.