I am really confused with all the commotion and new cards right now...

Totori

Nov 9, 2013
Hi!

I am currently shopping for a new PC that I'll be purchasing near the end of the month. I have read countless reviews but I'm still nowhere near deciding. I have read a bunch of posts here but most simply go over my head. Are there any TLDR or reviews/recommendations at a lower tech level than the ones I have found?

I'm currently gaming on 1080p and would like to make the switch to 1440p. Will a single GPU be able to handle this fine on maximum settings or will I need to SLI to do this? I like to play my games in windowed fullscreen as I do a lot of tabbing in and out. Do I need to play in Fullscreen and not Windowed Fullscreen to get the benefits of crossfire/SLI? I have a 5970 now and have had absolutely horrific dual GPU experiences.

Are all the cards that will be available for me at the end of the month released already? I've read reviews and many mention near future products but I'm not sure if they are released.

So far I am leaning towards 1440p and 780ti, as some of the benchmarks were sub 60 even on a 780ti. Does that even matter? Will I be noticing framerate decreases at 40 FPS? I have also had terrible Radeon experiences with my last 2 cards and have never done the nVidia thing before. The way I see it is that I'm on my PC most of my life. There really is no reason not to completely

I know the information is out there. I really do. I have read what I can and just can't really come to a decision. Could you guys give me some advice here? Any questions at all I will answer.

Here is a quick outline of something I've posted about my preferences when building a PC:

Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my build sometime before the year ends. I primarily play MMOs and like to play them at the highest settings possible. I tried to answer some things as best as I could. I know it's a bit away from my purchase time but I need to research ahead of time.

My primary question is how strong I need to make this. What will the performance differences be between the 280x performance range and the 290x performance range? When will I notice the difference?

• Gaming PC. I'll have a 2-3 monitor setup and often have spreadsheets or multiple copies of games open at once. I play MMOs, ARPGs and MOBAs. I won't play FPS for the most part, but may play some non-standard high graphics games that I want to be ready for. I don't play them now because my PC makes me want to stab myself in the face as it glitches on intensive things.

I'm not sure on monitor size and resolution. I'm using 24" now and would definitely like to go bigger. I'm not sure if I will be wanting 27" or 30". Any opinions on this?

I'm willing to spend as much as it takes

I plan on purchasing this before the end of the year. If "sales" are great on Cyber Monday I will pick it up then.

Everything but a keyboard. I want to punch my PC in the face and won't be using any part from my current one. I'll need a tower and everything inside it, 1-2 monitors, a mouse, headphones and a mic. I will need a SSD and possibly another HDD depending on the prices.

Will be purchasing in Canada. Would prefer to get everything from NCIX unless the savings are worth it.

Overclocking is an option, nothing too extreme.

I do not like bulky cases unless the case provides enough benefits to be worth it. I like purple and lights, if it's not too expensive or hard to setup. Low noise would be nice but I honestly don't really care about that if it costs extra.

I do not want to Crossfire unless it is proven stable and proven to work with the vast majority of games (Especially MMOs). I have had nothing but horrible experiences with any sort of dual GPU setup.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
It is best to figure out the rest of your system before committing to a certain graphics card to prevent wasting money if there is a bottleneck somewhere else. Sounds to me like you want to spend a lot, so I doubt there will be any bottlenecks. But it is best to be sure...

As far as the GPU scene right now, it really is best to wait. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it is the best advice (in my opinion, of course). Lets take a look at the top of the line GPUs from either side...

GTX 780Ti - I see this is what you're leaning towards. It is a beast of a card, and is a great all around package. The only question is, is it worth the price tag? I say no, it is too expensive for 3GB of VRAM and the slight lead it has over the 290X, which comes in at $150 less ($US, could be different for you guys up north).

R9 290X - Delivers awesome performance for the price, but at the cost of a noisy reference cooler and hot running card. This is the main reason I say wait right now - the aftermarket coolers that are due to come out (when? I have no idea, hopefully soon) could change this.

Then you can also take a look at the 780 and 290, which are the next steps down. They can be had for less $ and can perform almost as well as their higher ups, but you may not be interested in that.

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
The reference cards have been released, but there should be a bunch of custom cards coming soon. It is too early to really ask for buying advice because pretty much nobody actually has any real world experience with these yet. Everybody is still arguing about the reviews.

Totori

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks!

I don't think my system will be bottlenecked, that shouldn't be a worry. I was originally trying to decide between a lower-higher end card but I plan to play on 1440p now. I see a lot of the benchmarks are in the 40's~ for framerate with the 780Ti so I figured the extra $$$ would be worth it due to this.

I am always told never to wait for things like GPUs, but with so much happening it seems to be a good idea. What am I waiting for, though, exactly?

Totori

Nov 9, 2013
The reference cards have been released, but there should be a bunch of custom cards coming soon. It is too early to really ask for buying advice because pretty much nobody actually has any real world experience with these yet. Everybody is still arguing about the reviews.

That makes sense. I guess I should be a little confused then, eh?

How long is 'coming soon' usually? I would really like to make this purchase on Black Friday- but I guess I can just get everything else but the GPU if it comes to it.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Rumor says around end of the month for aftermarket coolers on the r290 series.

If the 780Ti pricing doesn't shell shock you CF r290's would be what I was looking at.

We should get a peak at Mantle in action pretty soon. Interesting to see if it lives up to it's current hype. If so maybe you'll end up with a 780Ti for cheaper than current pricing if nothing more.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
That makes sense. I guess I should be a little confused then, eh?

How long is 'coming soon' usually? I would really like to make this purchase on Black Friday- but I guess I can just get everything else but the GPU if it comes to it.
Yup that's what I'd do cause there will be a bunch of custom cards launched by then(hopefully) & if you're open to the recently launched R9 series then you'll have excellent VFM options as well.

Totori

Nov 9, 2013
Rumor says around end of the month for aftermarket coolers on the r290 series.

If the 780Ti pricing doesn't shell shock you CF r290's would be what I was looking at.

We should get a peak at Mantle in action pretty soon. Interesting to see if it lives up to it's current hype. If so maybe you'll end up with a 780Ti for cheaper than current pricing if nothing more.

I have had horrible experiences with CF setups. I also need to play in Full Screen don't I? I like to play Windowed Full Screen.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have had horrible experiences with CF setups. I also need to play in Full Screen don't I? I like to play Windowed Full Screen.

The r290 series looks to have remedied a lot of the CF horror stories from the past.

Not much of a gamer really so I've never strived for the power.

There are a couple of members that will be up and running in the next couple of days so maybe keep an eye out for new threads. You should be able to get some feedback about your questions.

I'll have two on Monday ;) also water cooled. Just need another block. I was seeing max temps of around 45C with my 290X, 50C with a little voltage and modded BIOS (which did absolutely nothing for clocks, unstable BIOS I believe). Anyway, should be fun!

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35713953&postcount=308

I have 2x 290 and find them acceptable for noise up to about 60% fan speed. At that speed I can game 1050 stable with no problems. Will push it some more later today after an OS reinstall.

Specs in sig for case, etc.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35706429&postcount=75

Maybe PM the above and ask him about the windowed mode?

Last edited:

Totori

Nov 9, 2013
Thanks again =) Looks like I'll check in regularly and see! I tried to PM and I'm not allowed with my new account unfortunately!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks again =) Looks like I'll check in regularly and see! I tried to PM and I'm not allowed with my new account unfortunately!

I PM'd him for you. Maybe he'll pop by and give you some input.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm currently gaming on 1080p and would like to make the switch to 1440p. Will a single GPU be able to handle this fine on maximum settings or will I need to SLI to do this? I like to play my games in windowed fullscreen as I do a lot of tabbing in and out. Do I need to play in Fullscreen and not Windowed Fullscreen to get the benefits of crossfire/SLI? I have a 5970 now and have had absolutely horrific dual GPU experiences.

If you play in windowed mode, or windowed fullscreen, do not go multiple GPU's in any form. CF and SLI do not function win windowed mode, even fullscreen windowed mode.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
If you play in windowed mode, or windowed fullscreen, do not go multiple GPU's in any form. CF and SLI do not function win windowed mode, even fullscreen windowed mode.

Pretty much this. CF doesn't work in windowed mode. I just tried it and no go.

Slomo4shO

Nov 17, 2008
I doubt you will find a deal on the 780 Ti this Black Friday or Cyber Monday. There may be a possibility for a 780 and it would be a good choice if you can pick it up for under $450 with the game bundle but then again the R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler will still be $400-420 and perform just as well or better than the 780 and AMD has hinted at a gaming bundle with the R9 290s so it may not matter about the GPU deals this holiday season.

Feb 19, 2009
Don't waste $$ on R290X or 780Ti. Both are horribly overpriced in comparison to the R290.

But wait for custom models, it should run cooler, quieter, using less power (http://ht4u.net/reviews/2013/arctic_accelero_xtreme_iii_meets_amd_r9_290/index6.php) and give you more OC headroom.. for ~$400 its just too good compared to the other much more expensive options.

IF you want to spend more, 2x R290 in the new CF config will brutalize the rest for its price.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

I game on 1440. My single 7950 3GB handled it fine, and my new 290X handles it even more easily. Single card gaming at 1440 is very possible, and a 770, 780, 780Ti, Titan, 7950/7970, 280X, 290, or 290X won't have a problem.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Be sure you check the settings that the reviewers are running at. If you don't need 4xMSAA and 2x will do fine, then that may bump you way up in performance depending on the game. I'd wait for the custom coolers before making a decision. I suspect all negative with the R9 290/X will fade away when the custom coolers are offered.

desprado

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2013
If u are looking for Single GPU than no doubt i will say buy RX290 and if u are planning for dual GPU than GTX 780 SLI is the best choice.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
it has better scaling than and 5 to 6% slower than GTX 780 ti Sli
No it doesn't :whiste:
59654.png

59656.png

59672.png

59674.png

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

Oh, that makes one decision for me, since I play LoL (not that it needs CF/SLI), BF3/4, SC2 in Windowed mode.
No Crossfire with my HD7950 then.

Luckily I have 3 weeks of holiday coming up to wait for things to settle and custom cards to come out so I don't have to buy now.

@OP: Wait and buy yourself something as a Christmas present when things have shaken out.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I'm playing the [crap] out of BF4 right now at 1440p with a 670 2GB. Not saying that's what you should buy but that you don't need a $600 card to play 1440 with fine frame rates.

Profanity is not permitted in the technical forums.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator: