I am going to a job fair.. how does one 'generalize' the objective section

Oct 9, 1999
Since i am applying for several companies, evidently i cannot customize the resume.. how does one generalize the most basic part - the objective.. rest of the stuff stays as it is.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
I normaly just say what kind of job I'm looking for. Example: Entry level position in the field of xxxx

Can be anything, just say what it is you are looking for.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't even put an objective section on my resume, it's a waste of space. I can put all the nonsense buzzwords I want in my cover letter.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Simple: don't list one.

It should be clear immediately from what you say in your approach.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
I don't even put an objective section on my resume, it's a waste of space. I can put all the nonsense buzzwords I want in my cover letter.

That works too. Resumes are hard because there are 1000000 rules and most contradict other rules. I just try to say what I can offer the company and get out.

BTW I have seen books say to never include a cover letter, and other books say always include a cover letter. Basically not even the experts can agree on how to write a resume.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Like other said, don't use one.

Honestly, I think job fairs are a waste of time. From my experience, it seems to be more of a publicity stunt to get their names out (the participating companies).

I'm probably too jaded because I never got a job, much less a call from any of the prospective employers at the event. I have much better luck with Monster.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

I interview people frequently and, honestly, I tend to look at people with objective lines as amateurs.