I am getting bored with AoC

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I don't have the time or patience to level characters in MMOs anymore. It takes far too long.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: katank
Mass Effect? Oblivion?

I played Oblivion a year or two ago. It was fun.

Mass effect has some strange alien storyline I have heard. I also heard it forces you to use a squad of characters.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
RPGs:
PlaneScape: Torment, Baldurs Gate series, Arcanum of SteamWorks and Magick Obscura (be sure to install the latest official and unofficial patches, it is VERY buggy without them), NWN1: Shadows of Undertide / Hordes of the Underdark, NWN2 and NWN2: MotB (just buy the Neverwinter Nights 2 gold pack, it has both in it), Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1.

FPS / RPG hybrids:
Deus Ex 1, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines (be sure to install the latest official and unofficial patches, it is VERY buggy without them), Morrowind (Elder Scrolls III)

NWN1 free community modules:
Hex Coda series, Tales of Arterra Series, Adam's Dreamcatcher and Demon, Darkness over Daggerford

This collection should keep you busy (especially if you play the free community made mods)

katank

Jul 18, 2008
In terms of Mass Effect, the stroyline was great. Don't be biased against aliens ;) You can make handling the squad fairly hands off.

Overall, I found a lot of Bioware titles to be some of the most enjoyable RPG experiences on the computer. Jade Empire is another RPGish title though it's mixed w/ a fighting game.

As for Oblivion, you might also want to try Shivering Isles expansion. That was kinda entertaining.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
What's with all the Bioware fan boys, they aren't the end all be all, they make okay games... at best.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Space Siege, I'm having fun so far. It's like dungeon siege, a bit, but then on a spaceship.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Since Neverwinter Nights 2 is easily found these days, I say go with that. Gold edition of course.

Once you get passed the fact its not as good as Baldurs Gate, you actually discover some pretty decent gaming.
Its very true to the D&D 3.5 rule set which, (much to dismay of hardcore D&D players) is actually very enjoyable and relatively easy to understand, especially for newbies.

The latest patches and camera controls make the game much more playable, and the ridiculous amount of character customizing you can do should keep you busy for a while.
And if you find certain parts a tedious grind, you can easily cheat to make it faster and more action-packed.
I generally dont condone cheating, but I also dont condone slow, monotonous gameplay. Giving each character high stats and a buttload of feats can make gameplay much more interesting.

As for older stuff that isnt supported anymore or difficult to find:
The Forgotten Realms pack which inlcudes BG1 & 2 on DVD, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 and the CD version of the crummy game Neverwinter Nights 1.

Deus Ex which is now easily found on Steam, but still needs you to install some custom, home-brew patches to get the game working great.

Vampire - Also on Steam.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, both of which could be found on store shelves IF you know where to look. Last time I was wandering around Target I found KOTOR 2 for 20 bucks.
Havent played Mass Effect yet so I wont comment.

Everything else available now is hack'n'slash, psuedo-RPG crap. Avoid it if you dont want to be let down.

Harmattan

Oct 3, 2006
I'm definitely in the same boat. I haven't logged on for over two weeks and am finding it hard justifying my subscription. AoC was really fun until about lvl 30, then it just got monotinous.

If you haven't played Mass Effect or the Witcher, do yourself a favor and get on these. Excellent games both. Storylines are really great. I'm playing through Mass Effect for the third time and the Witcher for the second now (and I rarely replay games)... so, yeah, good games.

larry89

Feb 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Gothgar
What's with all the Bioware fan boys, they aren't the end all be all, they make okay games... at best.

Their games are more than okay. and we advise people to play them because their single player RPGs are good.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Gothgar

They have 4 big name RPG series (Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, NWN and Mass Effect), which means their name tends to come up, just like the Elder Scrolls series gets frequent mentions.
They may in your eyes only make okay games, but other people think at least some of them are good, and they make quite a lot of them.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Good suggestions here for typical RPGs, I'd also throw in Titans Quest + Immortal Throne xpack for some RPG-lite/hack and slash fun.