I am curious.. If you were part of al-qaeda couldn't you think of easy targets in the USA ... simple attacks..

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Then why haven't the supposed boogie man terrorists attacked us yet..

BE HONEST... couldn't you create serious havock/mayhem without much effort.. YET.. these terrorist masterminds haven't done sh1t, supposedly, since September of 2001 -- 4 1/2 years ago... ??

Shortass

May 13, 2004
If what we believe is true, then it's safe to assume they want to destroy our country. Utterly incinerate our economy. If they do small attacks all the time, we simply beef up security, so when their big move comes into play, they get nabbed. Lull us into a sleep (as usual) and we're vulnerable to another devastating attack.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
We are under attack, obl said he would rather bankrupt us with our own knee jerk reaction and overspending on military, we will consume ourselves and turn against our own people, just like the soviets did to themselves in the afganistan war.

And bush and his loyal knee jerk fans are playing right into it.

Not all strategys are about mobilising a strike force. Terrorism is scaring the enemy into doing something disadvantageous to themselves so the weaker foe has a leg up. Fear not outright strength or literally blowing something up is the name of the game.

The answer to exremism and terrorism is not brute force, it is a cool head and outsmarting your enemy, those two things we are majorly lacking. We are loudly beating our collective heads against a door instead of stealthily reaching down and picking the lock sneaking up on those who would harm us.

JTWill

Feb 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Steeplerot
We are under attack, obl said he would rather bankrupt us with our own knee jerk reaction and overspending on military, we will consume ourselves and turn against our own people, just like the soviets did to themselves in the afganistan war.

Not all strategys are about mobilising a strike force. Terrorism is scaring the enemy into doing something disadvantageous to themselves so the weaker foe has a leg up. Fear not outright strength or literally blowing something up is the name of the game.

What part of 911 did you not understand? There goal is massed attacks and only a damn fool believes they do not wish to hit us with another one. Knee jerk reaction my ass, as soon as they can they will hit us again. Our economy is to big for them to wear us down by threat alone. You and others that have no comprehension of these peoples intent say Iraq increased there numbers. Bull....911 was what increased their numbers because they proved they could hurt us. Of course you ignore the planned attacks that have been thwarted. Get off the Bush hate doctrine...if they had been ready it would have happened during Clinton. They do not give a damn who our president is or did you not pay a single bit of attention to all of the terror attacks that happened before Bush was in office. The Islamic Jihadist will kill you just as dead as any other American you care to pick. You are delusional not paying attention to the constant increase of attacks they made leading up to 911. We are the Great Satan to them and they will always want to kill our people.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

The answer to exremism and terrorism is not brute force, it is a cool head and outsmarting your enemy, those two things we are majorly lacking. We are loudly beating our collective heads against a door instead of stealthily reaching down and picking the lock sneaking up on those who would harm us.

I tend to agree....although I must admit it is difficult to envision how to properly overcome issues such as terrorism...it is..terrifying after all..makes people irrational in the first place..and then on top of it the difficulty...not fun

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: JTWill

We are the Great Satan to them and they will always want to kill our people.

Hmm, and why is that? What causes extremism? It wouldn't happen to be instability, poverty and imperialism would it? naaah. They are just "evil" born that way huh?

We have never had americans bomb our own country or commimt acts of terrorism, nope, its only those darned evil muslim anti-christians who hate us for our free-dums. yep.

Lead up to 9/11? terrorism has ALWAYS been a problem, throught history, throughout the world, it is not a muslim nor a 20th or 21st century exclusive phenomenon either.

Were you dropped on your head as a child btw?

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
relatively small bombs planted on grain towers throughout the midwest. they're bombs waiting to go off anyway. im suprised no one has thought of this yet. as a bonus you get to strike at america's heartland.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: judasmachine
relatively small bombs planted on grain towers throughout the midwest. they're bombs waiting to go off anyway. im suprised no one has thought of this yet. as a bonus you get to strike at america's heartland.

I dunno how effective mass cow genocides would be though.

Oh no! Think of the milk supply! ;)

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002

well most of these small towns have the grain tower right on the edge of town. back in the 80s one went off in davenport iowa, and took out a few blocks with the blast, and set the city on fire.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
AQ likely remembers the sympathy that the U.S. got from the world after 9-11. They have to be quite happy that GWB has pissed it all away. Why attack the U.S. now when they are so much more effective in keeping things unstable in the ME now? They are providing GWB with the perfect opportunity to further erode the honor and integrety of the U.S. in the world's eyes, and it appears that Bush is folowing their playbook quite nicely. Why spend large sums to carry out what would amount to a tactical strike against the U.S., when they can acheive several stratigic victories with action in the ME on the cheap? They are certainly on a path that might lead to: significantly reduced U.S. influence in the area, theocratic governments in Iraq, Afganistan, and Pakistan, destabilizing democracy in Turkey, overturning reforms in Iran and allowing them time to radically increase the power of their military (while we are too busy elsewhere to do anything), weakening the ties between us and Saudi Arabia and Russia, gaining great numbers of new recruits and giving them OJT in Iraq (who will be used elsewhere when they think it will be beneficial), etc..

My guess is they will wait to attack us when they figure that an attack will generate more of an "I told you so!" from the rest of the world than sympathy.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004

well most of these small towns have the grain tower right on the edge of town. back in the 80s one went off in davenport iowa, and took out a few blocks with the blast, and set the city on fire.

Ahh, now that you remind me I have seen grain towers in midwest cities, that is about the only area I have not traveled much of, flat areas with not many landmarks are snooze central to me so I usually sleep.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa

My guess is they will wait to attack us when they figure that an attack will generate more of an "I told you so!" from the rest of the world than sympathy.

That sounds like a very good guess to me, we really dropped the ball on the world opinion thing, one of the most important things I could see combating terrorism is good relations with the world so as to help with intelligence, which bushco promptly pissed away with iraq.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We crippled Al Qaeda. I don't think they have much power or money left.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

for small scale attacks to create panic you dont need power or money

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1

We didn't cripple anything. A terrorist doesn't repeatedly launch attacks in the same place, time, or manner. They attack obliquely, when and where least expected and where most advantageous.

That way, you go on a rampaging war , blindly attacking anything and everything, trying to protect everything and anything. All the while they just find another flaw in your armor and take advantage of that. In response you further tighten protection.

Terrorists, by their very definition, have the best advantage in military doctrine.

Initiative.

One may think we gained initiative when we attacked Afghanistan, but we didn't. We further lost initiative, and got into a deficit, when we attacked Iraq. Now, they are free to watch us writhe on the ground like a helpless snake while they stab at us from all sides.

So, in the end, they have been attacking us for the past 5.5 years. They have gotten us to act stupidly, rack up massive debt, wear down our military, and humiliate us globally while undermining our freedoms and way of life.

Sounds like they are doing a great job at attacking us every day.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dahunan

BE HONEST... couldn't you create serious havock/mayhem without much effort.. YET.. these terrorist masterminds haven't done sh1t, supposedly, since September of 2001 -- 4 1/2 years ago... ??

<Repub>But we done blowdied dem up in I-raq! Bush is gawd! Yee-haw!</repub>

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
I can think of some relatively easy attacks, particularly if one is willing die or get caught in the process. I can also think of a way to cause, perhaps, $100 billion worth of economic damage if one is willing to put in significant to great effort.

I'm sort of torn as to whether or not I should provide details as to what I see as potential security holes in our country. On one hand we can't fix the problem if it is not discusses, but on the other it may be possible to obtain security through obscurity.

Why haven't they done anything? I think that their war is more accurately described as a war within Islam. I think it's really more of a war between radical and moderate Islam. For this reason, much of their efforts are focused on the Islamic world, rather than the American.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
America is still running around like a chicken with it's head cut off - 9/11 is just as effective today as it was 4 and a half years ago.

The point to terrorism is to cause terror, and 9/11 is still causing terror.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie
America is still running around like a chicken with it's head cut off - 9/11 is just as effective today as it was 4 and a half years ago.

That's because there may be a smoking gun out there and there is a buzz in everyone's soul that there is much more to this story than has been officially discovered, and it will not stop until the issue is resoved somehow. Which means ... whomever was ultimately responsible will be found out, and there will be no real trust until it's found out and revealed.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: will889
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie

That's because there may be a smoking gun out there and there is a buzz in everyone's soul that there is much more to this story than has been officially discovered, and it will not stop until the issue is resoved somehow. Which means ... whomever was ultimately responsible will be found out, and there will be no real trust until it's found out and revealed.

Sure...

My point is simply that if you accept that 9/11 was a terrorist act commited by OBL and his supporters (and I do tend to accept that, maybe I'm naive), there's no reason for them to have attacked again, because that incident is still directly and indirectly causing AMerica and much of the west to behave irrationally, spend like drunken sailors, and generally act as if 'in terror'.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
it took several years of planning, and a lot of luck, to pull off 9/11. Trust me, there is an Al Qaeda; and trust this: they and many other terrorist organizations are always plotting and dreaming of the next hit on US soil. There are some really heroic men and women making sure that doesnt happen... every day... right here in the US... and abroad.

Do you honestly believe that the general public has any clue about what really goes on? Do you think that they should? Should every foiled plan or attack be made public? should every agent working CT/AT/CI be publically recognized and interviewed?

There proper response is "no" to all of those questions.

What? You don't like living in the dark without a clue? then go enlist or apply, and become part of the solution. period.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

There are so many easy ways they could do us great harm that it isn't even funny. We can't guard everything/place, now can we.

strummer

Feb 1, 2006

AQ is getting everything they could ever have asked for out of Iraq. Why worry about f'in up things when they are going so well.

AQ only cares about us because they know that we will defend the House of Saud. Their principle goal is to control the Muslim Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina, and the Saudi pennisula in general. They know that this can only happen if there is a tremendous amount of instability in the Middle East; This can only happen if the United States is weakened to the point where taking on another widespread, entrenched insurgency would be out of the question.

Iraq plays into their hands like nothing they could've done themselves. Bleed America's will and treasure through a never ending campaign against a determined insurgency. Show the American public what they could expect, only tenfold, if the battle is carried to SA. No way we can take on that kind of effort without a draft. What more could Bin Laden ask for.

This is one of the reasons that Iraq is the greatest strategic error in the history of our Republic.