I am craving a candy bar.....

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
One of my favorite convenience store bars is Chunky(do they still make those?). I like chewing some up, leaving the chocolate/peanut/raisin slurry in my mouth, then chasing it with coffee. Delicious!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Here is a picture -- UUmmm
20131010-u-no-bar-post-thumb-610x178-358001-jpg.8268
I always loved those. Haven't seen or had one in many decades. They still sell them? I don't linger in front of candy sections these days!

If you can't get that, I vote for a Heath bar... or a quality English toffee!Heath bar.jpg

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I malso have not seen one of these for years!!
Supposedly you can get them on Amazon and there is another company.....but I can`t get them locally!!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I malso have not seen one of these for years!!
Supposedly you can get them on Amazon and there is another company.....but I can`t get them locally!!
Uno really was about the best you could get in the 50's and 60's.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
TBH, I put that box of 24 Uno's in my Amazon cart, to be mulled over later. I do indulge in some candy but try to keep it low profile in my diet. I might go for it...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I tried gourmet chocolate for a short time. Bought the highest praised gourmet chocolate, online. Still have some! I decided it wasn't worth it. There's much cheaper chocolate I like just as much. The fancy stuff often tastes funny, has weird flavors. I think it may have to do with the pollinators of the cocoa plants, seems to me I read that. Of course, they tout the exotic locations where the beans were grown, etc.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I tried gourmet chocolate for a short time. Bought the highest praised gourmet chocolate, online. Still have some! I decided it wasn't worth it. There's much cheaper chocolate I like just as much. The fancy stuff often tastes funny, has weird flavors. I think it may have to do with the pollinators of the cocoa plants, seems to me I read that. Of course, they tout the exotic locations where the beans were grown, etc.
Texture is an important component too (for me, at least).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Texture is an important component too (for me, at least).
The better chocolates have a smooth texture, they break cleanly like glass. Cheap chocolate breaks un-cleanly. This was explained to me by an importer of finer European foods. I was working in his small warehouse one day some ~30 years ago as a temp. He gave us each a quality chocolate bar, a nice gesture. Of course, my agency paid in dollars for the day's work.

So, yeah, quality chocolate has a smooth texture. But you don't have to buy the highest priced stuff to get that. I remember asking that importer for a recommendation for quality chocolate and his response was one word, kind of a suggestion of what I might try first: Lindt. I've had a lot of Lindt over the years. Generally quite good, in particular if you stick with the 3 ounce bars.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
M

my favourite has always been Peek Freans. They actually invented it.

When I need some in a pinch I buy the Brittania brand but they are not as sweet as the Peek Freans brand.

You may need to buy various brands to find something that tickles your fancy.

:)
I had a girl friend who was really into Peek Freans. I'm not finding Peek Freans Bourbon Biscuits, however. Wikipedia is saying that Peek Freens is no more, but split into various other companies. Can the PF Bourbon Biscuit be found?

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I had a girl friend who was really into Peek Freans. I'm not finding Peek Freans Bourbon Biscuits, however. Wikipedia is saying that Peek Freens is no more, but split into various other companies. Can the PF Bourbon Biscuit be found?
Peek Freans is now owned by Mondelez International.

Not sure about the States but in Canada you can get the bourbon creams in the Assorted Cream bag:

asstcreme2.jpg

Reactions: Muse

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
also, like I said there is always Brittania brand. They are not bad at all and pretty cheap.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Currently on a low carb diet so I haven't eaten a candy bar in a while.

But I did buy a Toblerone a while back. I forgot how damn good those things are.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
But I did buy a Toblerone a while back. I forgot how damn good those things are.
I'm thinking I'll do the Toblerones for halloween again this year. The last couple years I got Schogetten to save a bit of money, but I want to keep it a little unpredictable. The kids liked the Toblerone better anyway I think.