I am being harassed by a bill/debt collector. What should I say...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: darkxshade
Surefire way to get them off your back:

Pay them :laugh:

jeebus... another one. ITS NOT HIS DEBT

did darkxshade say it was? i think that is why he put the :laugh: smiley in his post

it would be a sure fire way to keep them from calling.

Good point :) and that would work!

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
There are a few more tidbits that I left out. I know the person who the bill/debt collector is looking forand her contact info. They are looking for her and her boyfriend. But this has nothing to do with me and it is none of my business. They keep calling my home asking if so and so is here. I told them that she moved out more than ten years ago and I don't know where she lives(I lied). They keep calling asking if she was home. On and on...

I told them please take my phone number off their list and stop calling over here. They are still calling over here...

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
If I were getting calls like that for a previous tenant/owner, I'd fuck with them just for the fun of it. I had a bounty hunter call my cell once looking for someone. Very mean woman. They refused to believe that I had no idea who they were looking for. That was amusing.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Next time they call say you killed them and stashed their bodies in the garage. If they want to collect on their debit they have to come through you.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
A few years ago, we bought new cell phones and of course, were issued new numbers. My wife ended up getting calls for some guy who apparently had the number before her, and was going aroung passinb hot checks under his business name, but still using the same phone number...It didn't matter how often she told them that she now had that number, they kept calling and calling. (not always the same people...dozens of different companies!) Finally, she got fed up and had Cingular change the number...
THAT may be a solution to the OP's problem as well...change your phone number.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Originally posted by: Kaieye
How do I get these morons off my back without harassing me and my family. They are getting to be very annoying.

Why would you coincidentally have the same phone number as a person living 10 years ago? Around here, the phone number moves with the person...and if a house is sold, the new owner would never have the same phone number.

Not here. Phone number = the house, not the person living in it.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I still don't understand why you didn't change the number when you moved in. Could have saved yourself from these unnecessary calls.

Besides, if they want sh!t from 10 years past, who knows what else will come crawling, asking for repayment.

If I were you I'd change the number, whether the collector's keep calling you or not.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
How do I get these morons off my back without harassing me and my family. They are getting to be very annoying.

Why would you coincidentally have the same phone number as a person living 10 years ago? Around here, the phone number moves with the person...and if a house is sold, the new owner would never have the same phone number.

Not here. Phone number = the house, not the person living in it.

Really? Weird. Here, people can keep phone numbers for quite a large area... if I had to guess, 100km as long as the area code is the same.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

They usually reissue them if the person moves out of the area or they don't pay their bill. Maybe the latter considering the situation.