I Am Alive, now on PC

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Is anyone else interested in this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214250/

"I Am Alive" is a $15 XBLA/PSN title that launched earlier this year, and hasn't arrived on PC until literally just today. Developed by Ubisoft Shanghai, you slip into the role of a lone man who has survived an apocalypse and is actively searching for his family (or something like that).

I played the demo on PS3, thought it was sufficiently interesting. It's downloading right now so I'll let you guys know how it is soon.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
seems to have scored better on the PS3. IGN gave the Xbox360 version a 4.5/10 which is pretty bad.

The reviews are all over the place for this title. Everything from a 40 to a 90. I think I'd be more interested if it was even a solid 70 but it doesn't seem to be.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Watched a play through of it. It's okish, the Story is too under developed, gameplay seems too repetitive. It is only $15 though, so it's likely a good value.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Graphically, the game is OK. They clearly didn't change much from the console version, but the 1080p resolution, 60fps, 16xAF, and 8xAA all help quite a bit.

I've only played the game for five minutes or so because I gotta leave for now. Here's a few screenshots though. The game design insists on a very bleak, desaturated visual style.

34BEBAE33DC3071D0BB4CC0D8916191DD09F9BD2

8CEAF50EEA1CD24E72448DA760A365CEA57C4B18

326074BE709D6B03358D64B9CB77F322BA1BFF27

1F2E548C2822F67F4295547147A65AC46BC4C1C3

308163EB3CBEA5C3D59B60AC9F3A5641E8FB4468

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
How's the game past the 5 min mark? :)

It's certainly intriguing. I think the post above me is correct; the storyline could definitely a be a bit more engaging, but still the mood and atmosphere of the game manage to draw me in. Right now my objective is to retrieve something for someone, and I have to climb, jump, and fight my way toward a hard-to-reach location in order to get it. Without good writing or story to back it up, it feels kind of like I'm just on a long, tedious fetch-quest. Yet still I continue playing.

I have no idea what genre "I Am Alive" belongs to. There's platforming, there's shooting (kinda), there's stealth (I think?), and there's puzzle solving (sorta). The game tries a mish-mash of different elements; it dabbles in several things, but doesn't really nail anything.

Where the game does excel, however, is where it tries something completely new.

You're armed with a pistol, but ammo is EXTREMELY scarce (read: 1 or 2 bullets every now and then). Most of the time you don't even have your gun pulled out, it's just equipped and hidden away on your person.

What's cool is when you encounter a group of hostiles. Hostiles react differently depending on whether you're holding up your hands defense, if you're pointing your gun at them, or if you melee-kill one of them unexpectedly and surprise them. If the enemy doesn't have a gun and you point a gun at them, you can intimidate them and get them to submit.

For example: You encounter a group of enemies. There are 3 of them. They're clearly aware of your presence and have begun approaching you, but don't take your gun out just yet. (Do you have enough ammo to shoot all three of them? Probably not.) Study the hostiles closely; what kind of weapons are they holding? Do any of them have guns? Which enemies look stronger, and which look scrawnier/weaker? Can you kill the bigger guys first and scare the weaker ones into submission? If someone is getting really close to you, can you surprise-kill them with your knife, pull out your gun and shoot one of the guys in the face, then finish off the last enemy with a melee attack? Can you lure them around a corner and cut all of them with your knife?

It's a survival game that throws a number of hostile bandits at you every now and then, forces you to assess the situation before engaging, and lets you choose how to take them out. I've never seen a game do this before.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have this game for pc but I'm not playing it until I get a better card. Its deff a unique title. Usually something of this nature it would involve ghosts or something

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Hmmm..I thought Ubisoft made a point of saying this wasn't coming to PC. It looked interesting enough, and at $15 its not that much of a gamble.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeh I hear its a short game. I got alan wake after that too since it reminded me of that

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
It's certainly intriguing. I think the post above me is correct; the storyline could definitely a be a bit more engaging, but still the mood and atmosphere of the game manage to draw me in. Right now my objective is to retrieve something for someone, and I have to climb, jump, and fight my way toward a hard-to-reach location in order to get it. Without good writing or story to back it up, it feels kind of like I'm just on a long, tedious fetch-quest. Yet still I continue playing.

I have no idea what genre "I Am Alive" belongs to. There's platforming, there's shooting (kinda), there's stealth (I think?), and there's puzzle solving (sorta). The game tries a mish-mash of different elements; it dabbles in several things, but doesn't really nail anything.

Where the game does excel, however, is where it tries something completely new.

You're armed with a pistol, but ammo is EXTREMELY scarce (read: 1 or 2 bullets every now and then). Most of the time you don't even have your gun pulled out, it's just equipped and hidden away on your person.

What's cool is when you encounter a group of hostiles. Hostiles react differently depending on whether you're holding up your hands defense, if you're pointing your gun at them, or if you melee-kill one of them unexpectedly and surprise them. If the enemy doesn't have a gun and you point a gun at them, you can intimidate them and get them to submit.

For example: You encounter a group of enemies. There are 3 of them. They're clearly aware of your presence and have begun approaching you, but don't take your gun out just yet. (Do you have enough ammo to shoot all three of them? Probably not.) Study the hostiles closely; what kind of weapons are they holding? Do any of them have guns? Which enemies look stronger, and which look scrawnier/weaker? Can you kill the bigger guys first and scare the weaker ones into submission? If someone is getting really close to you, can you surprise-kill them with your knife, pull out your gun and shoot one of the guys in the face, then finish off the last enemy with a melee attack? Can you lure them around a corner and cut all of them with your knife?

It's a survival game that throws a number of hostile bandits at you every now and then, forces you to assess the situation before engaging, and lets you choose how to take them out. I've never seen a game do this before.

The way you describe the game makes it sound very intriguing. I might have to look into this...