I am addicted to soda

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I like Mtn Dew, but I recently decided to cut back on sweet things a little bit. So I do it in moderation. Hehe, "dew it" :p

But my drink of choice around the house is generally to mix sparkling water with real juice, such as cranberry juice.

Juice has about the same amount of sugar as soda, without the caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wake up, drink water.
Then I have the urge to drink soda (Coke Zero).

The only thing stopping me is the acid feeling in my stomach when I drink it in the morning.
Pain > soda addition
I was in the habit of having a 12oz can of diet cola with dinner. One day I was leaving Costco and the employee responsible for checking my cart against receipt commented to me that the case of diet coke in my cart wasn't good for my health. Never bought it since, do NOT miss it. Couple times since I ordered cola (diet, and not diet) in restaurant, didn't enjoy it. Your addiction is in your head, in case you didn't know. ;)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was in the habit of having a 12oz can of diet cola with dinner. One day I was leaving Costco and the employee responsible for checking my cart against receipt commented to me that the case of diet coke in my cart wasn't good for my health. Never bought it since, do NOT miss it. Couple times since I ordered cola (diet, and not diet) in restaurant, didn't enjoy it. Your addiction is in your head, in case you didn't know. ;)
Isn't sugar pretty addicting though? I thought it was partly physically addicting but not sure

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Probably rewired your brain by now . . . And metabolism.

My dad quit soft drinks after getting kidney stones. He tends to overconsume.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Isn't sugar pretty addicting though? I thought it was partly physically addicting but not sure
I'm inclined to think it's a similar level of addictiveness as nicotine based on my personal experience, when I was going through the period of my weight loss where the next step was cutting out snacking on candy in the evening. The drive to consume it was similar to times I was quitting smoking.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
PphSL7J.jpeg

The limoncello whispers sweet nothings.

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Speaking of sugar in drinks. After I quit soda then I quit iced teas and Arizona to Snapple and anything in between.

But then I would occasionally have an Honest Tea. Far less sugar. Still not a tiny bit but a big difference. And when I had a food business that's what we sold most of.

Then I remember Coca-Cola taking them over. It became harder and harder to find them and I would just always drink water at rest stops and fill ups.

It was high quality stuff. Some was even organic I think. But there is much more money to be made with sugary drinks, and people don't want to change their habits at all, so RIP to another great brand.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
then I would occasionally have an Honest Tea. Far less sugar. Still not a tiny bit but a big difference. And when I had a food business that's what we sold most of.

Then I remember Coca-Cola taking them over. It became harder and harder to find them and I would just always drink water at rest stops and fill ups.

It was high quality stuff. Some was even organic I think. But there is much more money to be made with sugary drinks, and people don't want to change their habits at all, so RIP to another great brand.

The person who sold his honest tea company has come out with another tea product. (Competition to coke)

But how could he??
I would have thought coke would have written in the sales contract that he never be in the tea business ever again?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've been avoiding sweet stuff for years now except for the occasional ice cream (non-candy containing only) and anything considered "sweet" by most people will be intolerable for me now... like eating spoonfuls of sugar right out of the bowl!

Really salty stuff is like that too now btw.... so-called "normal" amounts of salt in food means all I taste is salt. (the only bummer there is that it kills most chips!)

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like sweet stuff in the context of sweets. More so in the winter when all the good stuff comes around. I don't like sweet stuff in my real food. I don't want sweet/hot, sweet/salty, sweet/anything in my meal food.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The person who sold his honest tea company has come out with another tea product. (Competition to coke)

But how could he??
I would have thought coke would have written in the sales contract that he never be in the tea business ever again?
You would think they had a non-compete in place, but it's been 7 years. I think those are typically more like 3-5 years if I remember right.