I am addicted to soda

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I used to drink soda occasionally until I stopped to think about the fact that the average 12oz soda (NON-diet) has 36+ grams of sugar.

And on-topic artificial sweeteners are if anything even worse for you.

As for getting people to bother reading the nutrition-label, my only comment is that the dumb-asses who really need to do so the most are ALSO mostly incapable of understanding them. (too many "big words")

And 'murican society making it "A-okay" to be overweight isn't making things any better.

:confused_old:

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
likely because the sodium in them dries your mouth out :confused: salty drinks keep you drinking

switch to soft drinks with real sugar? might be more satisfying, more cloying, so you'll drink less. (still has sodium though.)

12oz coke has like 39g of sugar in it. That's almost ten sugar cubes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Good point, probably ought to just switch to water.
I also drink a lot of different teas nothing added. Gave up black coffee after being a life long drinker. little to no go juice in the teas I make. Feels good having that monkey off my back.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Water, ideally from a ceramic filter is the best thing to drink period.

I essentially drink 99.9% that and green tea. (usually cold)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
People keep saying this but offer no evidence.

The credible studies i've seen/read show that artificial sweeteners can cause unpredictable body-reactions when consumed like stimulating appetite for example.

Anyone telling you it's just fine to drink artificial or naturally sweetened soda of any kind all the time is a straight-up fool.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Anyone telling you it's just fine to drink artificial or naturally sweetened soda of any kind all the time is a straight-up fool.

my grandma's sister drank 3 large diet cokes a day from mcd's for 30 years, and she seems to be alright

well except for all the money she spent on that stuff. the addiction was crazy, but she finally gave it up.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Growing up in the 70's and 80's our family picked up one case of Coke a week from the Coke plant. I think my sister and I could have one glass with dinner while my mother drank the rest. Luckily I enjoyed water and it was the only thing that seemed to quench my thirst. It's hard to tell how much money I've saved by not buying soda over the years. It enables me to have money to spend on beer. :p

Reactions: MrSquished

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Never liked soda that much. Oh sure, would have drunk it in the past if offered, but everyday, it would be sickening.

Probably helped that my mom only bought it periodically and only when on the sale of sales(that's some hardcore Mao-caused famine-inspired budgeting right there), preferring orange juice, sweet tea, and that shitty "store sugar water with flavor".

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Never liked soda that much. Oh sure, would have drunk it in the past if offered, but everyday, it would be sickening.

Probably helped that my mom only bought it periodically and only when on the sale of sales(that's some hardcore Mao-caused famine-inspired budgeting right there), preferring orange juice, sweet tea, and that shitty "store sugar water with flavor".

That definitely helped. As a first generation immigrant I wanted to be as American as I could and that meant I asked for soda at home but she resisted. So I did rebel in my twenties but if I had that habit through my childhood, would have been harder to quit in my thirties.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Growing up in the 70's and 80's our family picked up one case of Coke a week from the Coke plant. I think my sister and I could have one glass with dinner while my mother drank the rest. Luckily I enjoyed water and it was the only thing that seemed to quench my thirst. It's hard to tell how much money I've saved by not buying soda over the years. It enables me to have money to spend on beer. :p
That was actually my original motivation to starting to drink less soda, when we went out to lunch as a group every day at work, getting water instead of soda saved a little bit of money every time.

Reactions: balloonshark

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That was actually my original motivation to starting to drink less soda, when we went out to lunch as a group every day at work, getting water instead of soda saved a little bit of money every time.

They should let you supersize water. Fuck the sugar drinks.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
my grandma's sister drank 3 large diet cokes a day from mcd's for 30 years, and she seems to be alright

well except for all the money she spent on that stuff. the addiction was crazy, but she finally gave it up.

You can find people who smoke heavily and live till 90 too. ;)

Reactions: nakedfrog

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Artificial sweetener tastes like shit. Every single one of them. If consuming a product requires a large imaginative input from me to enjoy it, I'd expect a substantial discount over the real product.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Ohhhh this thread is about pop. Was thinking it was about baking soda or maybe soda water.

Nah, this thread is about soft drinks. Or 'carbonated soft drinks', maybe.

There's already a thread for pop

• Haha
Reactions: nakedfrog

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I used to drink a lot, now I limit myself to 1 can per day, and I don't actually have it every day. It's just so terrible for me and try to be a bit more conscious of that now. It's basically poison, but it tastes so good! Especially when thirsty. Sometimes water alone won't cut it.

When I was at a point of drinking multiple per day and realized how bad it was for me I decided to quit cold turkey temporarily and dropped like 10 lbs in a few weeks without even doing anything else.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I like Mtn Dew, but I recently decided to cut back on sweet things a little bit. So I do it in moderation. Hehe, "dew it" :p

But my drink of choice around the house is generally to mix sparkling water with real juice, such as cranberry juice.