I aM abOUt To RIP my HAiR OUT!

HaloZero

Jul 29, 2002
Hello, I am asking for help here because I am frustrated all to hell :| . I just recently bought a VisionTek GeForce4 Ti4600 card which as everyone knows is no reason for distress. Secondly, I also bought a Thermaltake G4-VGA All Copper GeForce4 cooler and some ramsinks. That is also no cause for concern.
What is cause for concern is the fact that VisionTek changed their minds and went with a GLUED ON Thermaltake Blue Orb instead of the standard GF4 cooler that I have seen in all of the reviews of this card. You see the standard cooler mounts directly to the card via easily removeable plastic push pins or the like.
So now I am stuck with a Blue Orb on my nice new card and an all copper cooler in its freakin' packaging because I can't remove the Blue Orb without becoming panic-stricken that I am going to snap my nice new Ti4600 in two pieces!

Question #1 that I am putting out there to all of you is: What is the safest way to remove a GLUED ON cooler from a videocard? I have already tried the freezer method which did not make the glue nearly brittle enough to snap before my card would. :frown:

Question #2 is: Does anyone know where I would be able to find out what part# C 1309 does exactly on my GF4 Ti4600? You see it broke off whilst I was prying away at the damned GLUED ON Blue Orb. It is a very small part that is on the front of the card at the bottom near the AGP pins/contacts. The card seems to be running fine without it but I would still like to know what it is directly related to so I know what to expect if my card is going to stop doing something it should. Are there any tech documents that I can read to find out or perhaps someone here just knows this kind of thing (maybe Anand himself?)?

Anyway, for my first post here in these forums that should be enough. I hope I am not asking too much and I will say thank you now to anyone who can help me with these problems I am having. Thanks again.

HaloZero

kursplat

Golden Member
May 2, 2000
i've removed glued\epoxied heatsinks from vid cards before , but i'ts not fun. i use a butter knife under the edge of the cooler. with steady force twist the knife to pry on the cooler. if your worried about scratching the board use some electrical tape on the board under the cooler edge and around the knife edge.
also if this was a link
it needs fixing . not sure where you were going
good luck

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Can't you call Visiontek about the part number? I'm sure they have schematics laying around somewhere and can help you out. As for removing the heatsink, my friend loosened glue like that with a heatgun...but I don't necessarily suggest that unless you know exactly what you're doing. Good luck with your card.

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
don't worry about snapping the card in two. place a credit card between your board and the heatsink. now place a small screwdriver between the credit card and the sink and pry off steadily. it will go pop- scare you a little- and all will be fine! the snap sound will grab your attention, but the glue is strong. the glue may all come off with the heatsink, but a few times it has stayed on my GPU. this requires sanding down prior to placing a new cooler on the GPU. sand a little at a time (fine paper- 600 or finer) if this happens till you see the writing on top of the gpu.

HaloZero

Jul 29, 2002
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I hadn't even thought of protecting the card (ie. Electrical tape or Credit Card). I'm gonna give them all a try. Chuck, GLUED ON wasn't supposed to be a link at all, I was just stressing the fact that the freakin' heatsink was GLUED ON and not just mounted using the normal mounting holes. I was a little frustrated at that fact. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Nobody knows where I can find schematics for the VisionTek board I have? Or knows what C 1309 does on the board?

HaloZero

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Part number C 1309...... hmmm that sounds like a capacitor..... probably involved in voltage regulation, or if it was in amongst a bunch of small capacitors, possibly part of the RF filter<---- sounds more like this because you said it had no problems

zs

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: zsouthboy
Part number C 1309...... hmmm that sounds like a capacitor..... probably involved in voltage regulation, or if it was in amongst a bunch of small capacitors, possibly part of the RF filter<---- sounds more like this because you said it had no problems

zs

That's what I was thinking, sounds like a capacitor. If you snapped one off it should still work fine, however it has a higher chance of frying since fewer capacitors means fewer devices to keep the current flow steady.