I am about to go find out if they can edumacate me.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I am heading down to the local community college to take the placement test dealies. We'll see how this goes...I haven't set foot in a classroom in 14 years.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
placement tests are easy. Just do your best and don't thinkt oo much about it. The worst that can happen is you get placed in a class that is below your level, but at 14 years of absence you just might need an easy class to get things going again!

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: illusion88
placement tests are easy. Just do your best and don't thinkt oo much about it. The worst that can happen is you get placed in a class that is below your level, but at 14 years of absence you just might need an easy class to get things going again!

No, the worst that can happen is you wind up in a class above what you are ready for. There is nothing more disheartening than trying to stick with a class you don't have the tools for because you think you should or, you're embarrassed. Older students in general have an advantage over younger ones because they have a greater understanding of what it takes to succeed.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
My grand plan is to eventually become a drug/alcohol abuse counselor. My dream would be to become a psychiatrist. I never realized how few and far between psychiatrists are.

Right now I want to take the basic classes and then transfer to a university once I have those completed. I know I am in for a long haul, but I am finally learning that instant gratification is not always the best.

May 16, 2000
AWESOME!!! I'm 36 and just recently headed back for my Masters. Nothing wrong with getting back to school later in life.

You'll be fine; don't worry about the tests, the results, or anything else. Just start where you're comfortable (working with the school to figure that out) and work through it all. It can take a while, and there'll be ups and downs, but just keep at it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
:thumbsup: Oh, and if you have any qualms about being the old guy in the classroom, don't. None of us younger-folk care. Hell there was a ~50 year old guy in my Calc 241 (A) class who was fricken hilarious. Everyone like him. :)

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: rudeguy
My grand plan is to eventually become a drug/alcohol abuse counselor. My dream would be to become a psychiatrist. I never realized how few and far between psychiatrists are.

Right now I want to take the basic classes and then transfer to a university once I have those completed. I know I am in for a long haul, but I am finally learning that instant gratification is not always the best.

So you are going to go to medical school?

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: D1gger

He really is choosing a long and difficult road to travel

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
My wife did the same recently as she is going back to school to get an accounting degree (she hasn't been in school for 20 years). Unfortunately, she didn't get off to a good start - her math placement test put her in basic math.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
26 and one semester away from my associates :) Not quite as old as some of you, but I'll be almost 29 when I graduate. And about 3 years after that I'll hopefully be in grad school.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: GenHoth
Originally posted by: D1gger

He really is choosing a long and difficult road to travel

I would rather do something that I WANT to do rather than take the easy way out like I used to.

We'll see what happens. I am posting from me blackberry while I wait to go in. DNor would love this place. It looks like a casting call for the next Barely Legal movie!

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

sounds like a good plan!

Are you going to work full time? I find it hard to be able to go to a unni and work full time (8-445) because there are certain classes you have to take during the day.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

i wish i could learn that. I want to go back to school too (28) but every time I think about how long it will take and all the work i'll have to do, on top of my full time job, i just think, ugh....

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
I notice not only was I mentioned here, but in reference to it being like a "casing call for the next Barely Legal movie" and finally that...

THERE'S NO FUCKING PICS :|

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got my Associates in 2006 and am on my way to finish my Bachelors. I am 39 now and my be 42 before I get finished. :)

I was going to do the online thing again, as that is how I got the first degree, but it is more expensive and I just want a degree that is looked on in a better light.

Good luck!

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: dNor
I notice not only was I mentioned here, but in reference to it being like a "casing call for the next Barely Legal movie" and finally that...

JESUS CHRIST. SHUT THE HELL UP.

:heart:

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Originally posted by: dNor

JESUS CHRIST. SHUT THE HELL UP.

:heart:

:Q :(

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Grrr

Updates? :D

I finished all 3 tests in ~45 minutes. I don't know what the scores I got mean??? It was the Compass tests if anyone is familiar with them.

Now I have to talk to a counselor person about what classes to take and fill out the financial aid forms. That's going to have to wait until next Friday, seeings how the printer is out of ink and my bank account is out of money :(

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnCU
will you give me discounts on pyschological meetings?

I think that you would require very detailed and long meetings. I imagine they wouldn't cost much more than double what normal meeting do...

:p