I am a true jackass

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,558
16
81
Well I am moving out of my 3 bedroom place on July 26th which I have occupied with 2 other guys for 2 years now. Our lease is up on August 1st, but I told them we all needed to be out by the 28th so that we can make repairs. Two of us will be out, but the last guy can't move into his new place until August 1.

Now the part where I am a jackass. All utilities in the apartment are being disconnected on the 26th so I don't have to pay for two places at once. All utilities are in my name and I gave them the choice to pay the additional fees and transfer the accounts, but they will not do so. Too bad for them.
 

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
18,010
1
81
Yes you are a complete jackass. What they should do is pay you upfront for the utilities, pro-rated for the time you aren't there. Then close the accounts when the last guy moves out. It is quite stupid and inconsiderate to force them to pay to have the accounts changed over for less than a week.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
That's really going to suck for that last guy, NO UTILITIES for 6 days.

LOL

But you did give them the option and they declined.
 

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
6,549
37
91
when i saw RossMAN posted in here, I thought he was going to say something like: "you've made me proud my son"
 

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
8,426
2
0
Originally posted by: RossMAN
That's really going to suck for that last guy, NO UTILITIES for 6 days.

LOL

But you did give them the option and they declined.

 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,558
16
81
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Yes you are a complete jackass. What they should do is pay you upfront for the utilities, pro-rated for the time you aren't there. Then close the accounts when the last guy moves out. It is quite stupid and inconsiderate to force them to pay to have the accounts changed over for less than a week.
This would have been an option if it were not near impossible to collect from them.
 

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
14,732
1
76
If it is an apartment in a complex, it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed on and were billed to the leasing office.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
So where ya moving to?

You still going to keep the Apartment808 domain, etc.?
 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,558
16
81
Originally posted by: mpitts
If it is an apartment in a complex, it wouldn't surprise me if they stayed on and were billed to the leasing office.
I thought this was the case, but it is not. When we originally moved in I had power scheduled to turn on the day I got there and I had to wait for the power company to turn it on.

 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,558
16
81
Originally posted by: RossMAN
So where ya moving to?

You still going to keep the Apartment808 domain, etc.?
I am moving to a new 2 bedroom place with my girlfriend. Yes, I am keeping the domain.:)

 

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
7,393
0
0
Is it an apartment or a house? Apartments usually have their utilities stay on, just billing goes back to the complex. If it is a house, well your friends should invest in some buckets or something.

R
 

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
18,010
1
81
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: PipBoy
Yes you are a complete jackass. What they should do is pay you upfront for the utilities, pro-rated for the time you aren't there. Then close the accounts when the last guy moves out. It is quite stupid and inconsiderate to force them to pay to have the accounts changed over for less than a week.
This would have been an option if it were not near impossible to collect from them.

this is why they should pay up front, as I wrote.
 

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
35,558
16
81
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Are you going to end paying less, same or more?
Less. Right now I pay $315/month rent plus utilities (roughly $90/month). Our two bedroom place is $480/month total plus utilities which I figure to be around $120/month per person. I am looking at roughly $360/month as opposed to $405.
 

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
21,200
9
81
That really sucks for them, and yeah you're an asshole, but you must have your reasons for not covering them...I'm sure a lot of people here know how badly apartment rooming situations can turn out. me being one of them.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
Originally posted by: minendo
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Are you going to end paying less, same or more?
Less. Right now I pay $315/month rent plus utilities (roughly $90/month). Our two bedroom place is $480/month total plus utilities which I figure to be around $120/month per person. I am looking at roughly $360/month as opposed to $405.

and you get to live with your g/f (which is both good and bad but probably better than your 2 previous roommates).

Congrats :)