I am a little bothered by everyone knocking on Michael Moore

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MailBoxHead
You are entitled to like what the movies message was.

People are entitled to not like it.

If it truly bothers you, you have serious issues.

I'm sure it truly bothers a lot of people. Doesn't mean they have serious issues, it just means they strongly disagree. You are jumping to conclusions...you should get a 'Jump to Conclusions Mat'.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Staley8
I'm a little bothered by people who are a little bothered by everyone knocking on Michael Moore.

I'm a not bothered by people who are a little bothered by people who are a little bothered by everyone knocking on Michael Moore. :D

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The problem is that his intent was to bring this movie off as a factual unbiased (as much as possible anyway) documentary - since that's what i think they should be. Instead it was a biased edited piece of useless junk. At least that's what people say; I've not seen it and have no intentions of doing so. Much as I know that feces tastes bad without experiencing it I see no need to experience this movie.

Granted, I may be wrong and it, as well as crap, may be good but I'll never know.

An excellent point. I second that!

Dog may taste like Kentucky Fried Chicken but I'll never know because I'll never eat the filthy muther f0cker.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
So here is how I see the Cliff Notes for your post: Michael Moore lies, but that's alright, because he has a good point... he just needs to lie a little to make it.

^------- things that make you go "hmmmmmmmm"

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Turin39789
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Originally posted by: tcsenter

His series of points about America as an aggressor and overstepping our bounds in other counties affairs was a good piece of the movie. Those were good points.
Even if it were true, it doesn't support the thesis of his movie: kids shoot up their schools because America has overstepped its bound in other countries?

Actually, the hypothesis of the movie is that there's an American culture of fear-mongering which promotes violence.

But it's pretty obvious that he's just ripping off Yoda ("Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffer-ing").

If you see this as the hypothesis, then it all makes sense. There is a culture that promotes irrational and unsupported fear, which leads to violence(flaming threads). He twisted and distorted facts to make an emotional message, just as the media and politicians do. It looks to me like he is simply practicing what he is preaching about. Moore is saying that the way he made his 'documentary' is the same process of doing things that is causing so many problems in America today.

Because the media does it doesn't make it right or unbiased or worth half a crap.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

His series of points about America as an aggressor and overstepping our bounds in other counties affairs was a good piece of the movie. Those were good points.
Even if it were true, it doesn't support the thesis of his movie: kids shoot up their schools because America has overstepped its bound in other countries?

Actually, the hypothesis of the movie is that there's an American culture of fear-mongering which promotes violence.

But it's pretty obvious that he's just ripping off Yoda ("Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffer-ing").

If you see this as the hypothesis, then it all makes sense. There is a culture that promotes irrational and unsupported fear, which leads to violence(flaming threads). He twisted and distorted facts to make an emotional message, just as the media and politicians do. It looks to me like he is simply practicing what he is preaching about. Moore is saying that the way he made his 'documentary' is the same process of doing things that is causing so many problems in America today.

Because the media does it doesn't make it right or unbiased or worth half a crap.

but if he is doing to point out that the media is doing it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

but if he is doing to point out that the media is doing it.

I doubt he is that intelligent and if he is then certainly a majority of his audience is not.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
In the broadest sense possible, I agree. But the scope of hypothesis should be at least somewhat relevant to the premise offered. I don't see Moore as attempting to build support for the hypothesis that the US is more violent across the board, just in terms of gun violence. BFC adheres rigidly to the gun theme. So I would amend that hypothesis to:
There's an American 'cult of fear' which fuels/promotes gun violence.
Granted, BFC doesn't support that hypothesis at all.

And you are correct, Moore pilfers all of his ideas from several far-flung leftwing, 'counterculture', 'alternative', or other 'fringe' sources.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
i just want to point out that i havent even seen this movie but feel able to talk coherently in threads about it because there have already been so many

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
you gotta realize that your average person on this forum is right of center. think about it, only people from at least middle class (and normally upper-middle class +) families can afford to be a real computer geek, and those that work in the industry tend to make above-average wages. obviously the college kids aren't rolling in dough, but you can bet their parents are doing alright if they're in college. not only that, computer geeks are disproportionally white or asian, who are in turn disproportionally right of center. next, the companies that employ many people on this board are reliant on the ability for big buisnesses to have lots of power. people who post here are here because of the benefits that conservative viewpoints have brought them. it's not that surprising that they're going to be hating on someone who is so incredibly far left.

post about NRA filmstrips on a forum devoted to recycling tips and you'll get a similar response, but the other way around. it's all about the crowd you're preaching to.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
you gotta realize that your average person on this forum is right of center. think about it, only people from at least middle class (and normally upper-middle class +) families can afford to be a real computer geek, and those that work in the industry tend to make above-average wages.
You gotta realize that the United States as a whole polls right of center, like it or not.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Rush Limbaugh is on the radio every single day. Michael Moore just puts out a movie here and there. It's all legal.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled
Rush Limbaugh is on the radio every single day. Michael Moore just puts out a movie here and there. It's all legal.
That's nice and all, except the US has been a socially and culturally conservative society since, well, before there was a US.

Just don't let any facts stand in the way of those perceptions. The truth can be so mundane and boring.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
So you admit that he mislead viewers to make a point, but the point was valid, even though the viewers were mislead?

Great opening arguement....

If GWB mislead the american peopler to take out Saddam, but taking Saddam out was still a good thing to do, were GWBs actions still alright?

TMPadmin

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2001
Michael Moore demonstrates how the liberal population of this country need to convey their half of the issues. He is a perfect example in every way.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
He's a hypocritical lardass that spouts lies as the truth and demonizes most of the things I hold near and dear.

Pull your panties out of your crack.