"I am 79 cents away from getting some dog food for my dog"

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
crack addicts have the weirdest way of trying to squeeze any money out of you, don't they?

she looked like some sort of drug addict and I really doubt she gives a damn about her dog... if she did, maybe she should prioritize dog food over drugs and maybe her dog wouldn't be starving

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Then give her 79 cents man, shit. What's the deal with people? If 79 cents puts her in a spot where she's at least alright with life for a while and isn't a threat to society then I don't give a damn. Who am I to judge? 79 cents is the cheapest good karma you'll ever get.

Not that I believe in karma, because if karma existed I'd be a millionaire with plenty of nice cars and at least 12 beautiful women for wives (that wouldn't mind the other 11).

skim milk

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
Originally posted by: aplefka
Then give her 79 cents man, shit. What's the deal with people? If 79 cents puts her in a spot where she's at least alright with life for a while and isn't a threat to society then I don't give a damn. Who am I to judge? 79 cents is the cheapest good karma you'll ever get.

Not that I believe in karma, because if karma existed I'd be a millionaire with plenty of nice cars and at least 12 beautiful women for wives (that wouldn't mind the other 11).

I just don't like being lied to.

I live in an apt complex where there are lots of druggies roaming around.

When I first moved in, a guy came to me asking for 5 dollars to "pay his friend gas money so that we can move". Believing in good karma, I gave him 5. Yeah, did he move? hell no, I saw him around a few times living at the same place

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004

Enabling a crackhead's need for crack is a good thing? Sorry, gotta disagree there.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

Enabling a crackhead's need for crack is a good thing? Sorry, gotta disagree there.

Well, like I said, who am I to judge? I disagree with it if that's how it's been spent, but on principle I'm not gonna NOT give someone a buck or two when I've got money on me. If I weren't such an asshole maybe I'd say I'm just too nice of a guy, but we all know that's not the case.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: fritolays

I just don't like being lied to.

I live in an apt complex where there are lots of druggies roaming around.

When I first moved in, a guy came to me asking for 5 dollars to "pay his friend gas money so that we can move". Believing in good karma, I gave him 5. Yeah, did he move? hell no, I saw him around a few times living at the same place

It's at that point where I would say screw that person if they ever asked again. Come to think of it I never see the same people twice. That's a whole different situation.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Agentbolt

Well, like I said, who am I to judge? I disagree with it if that's how it's been spent, but on principle I'm not gonna NOT give someone a buck or two when I've got money on me. If I weren't such an asshole maybe I'd say I'm just too nice of a guy, but we all know that's not the case.

You are a guy with $.79 or more, that's who you are.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
If someone said that to me I'd offer to take their dog off their hands in order to give it a better life. I'm not sure what I'd do with it then, though, since dogs aren't allowed in my apartment.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Having worked for many years with the homeless and/or addicted, it is a terrible idea to "just give a little". It really is like the Southpark with the homeless people that moved into their town. Once they see you (or your area/neighborhood) as a source of income in ANY way, you're stuck with them until they find another sucker. The best thing to do is say no and move on. If everyone did this, they will find a real source of income (i.e. a job) or leave the area. I've heard all of the lines and tricks they use to get your change and it's truly sad. Most of them have so many stories it would blow your mind...
This is very prevalent around Christmas to garner sympathy, but giving money to people standing on corners with signs asking for help is NOT a good idea. You aren't helping them, unless it's to get high. At least in my city, the ones who want help GET HELP through programs that help them find housing and jobs to get them back on their feet. I've seen it work time and time again and I keep in touch with some of them.
Ever actually ask someone who has a sign that says "Will work for food" to do a job for you? Most of them will look at you crazy, or give excuses as to why they can't do that particular job. They play on the fact that most people don't want to "deal" with them and would rather give them money than associate with them long enough to have them work for them. The same goes for the "need $$ for food" signs. Try to give them some food. They don't want your food (unless it's something good!) they want your money.
I know we want to think that it helps and makes us feel better about ourselves in the process, but trust me, it's hurting more than it's helping.