Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
My normal diet is something like this:

- Fast food
- Subway
- Doughnuts
- Coffee

Not great, right? Luckily I'm blessed with high metabolism so I'm still skinny as heck.

But when I go into "workout mode", I try to eat more healthy. I switch to things like:

- Sandwiches
- Perogies
- Bagels
- Salad
- etc.

After a few days, I always start to feel sick to my stomach, and there doesn't seem to be any one thing that causes it.

Am I just used to more high-sugar, high-fat stuff, or is there something else that could be going on?

Dec 10, 2005
It takes time to adjust to a new diet. You may feel bad after switching to a healthier diet after eating garbage for a long time, but it should go away after a week or two.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Actually, its not really high metabolism. Its mal-nutrition and ineffective digestive system that is keeping you skinny. :p

What you are switching to is no better than what you had before - you're probably stick to your stomach because again, of your ineffective digestive system.

How the heck do you define a perogie as healthy...

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Yeah your body is just use to all the sugar,fat,ect. When it doesn't get it everyday it just gets pi$$ed off. If you can fight it the sickness should go away(eventually).

Sep 29, 2004
It's funny ... low fat diets probably are good for your heart, but links to arthritis exist. So, take your pick. Pain and longevity. Or death and the good life. I do whatever the hell I want. SO did my parents. my dad died of pneumonia at about 70 and my mom is now 75 with few problems. My mother-in-law with her low fat habits is now carries around two fake hips at age 60.

And my parents always laughed. Are eggs healthy this month? When I was growing up (80s/90s) it seems like the status of eggs changed frequently.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore
Actually, its not really high metabolism. Its mal-nutrition and ineffective digestive system that is keeping you skinny. :p

What you are switching to is no better than what you had before - you're probably stick to your stomach because again, of your ineffective digestive system.

How the heck do you define a perogie as healthy...

So good nutrition makes people fat..?

How do you know I have an ineffective digestive system?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Well first of all, your "healthy" food may not actually be that much more healthy than your "normal" food. Bagels for instance are not much more than sugar once they get inside your body. The insulin response is similar. The same goes for the perogies. A sandwich and a salad could easily contain lots of high-fat stuff.

Can you be more specific about what you put on the sandwiches and the salads?

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
You have a natural flora of bacteria in your body that is attuned to the types of food you eat. This flora is important because the bacteria complements your diet with nutrients you can't produce yourself. Whenever you change your diet you might not be giving your body's natural flora the stuff they are used to.

This is why vegetarians feel sick after eating meat and feel like the food is just "sitting in their stomach" and vice a versa.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Special K
Well first of all, your "healthy" food may not actually be that much more healthy than your "normal" food. Bagels for instance are not much more than sugar once they get inside your body. The insulin response is similar. The same goes for the perogies. A sandwich and a salad could easily contain lots of high-fat stuff.

Can you be more specific about what you put on the sandwiches and the salads?

Okay, I'd rather not turn this into a debate about the quality of my new diet.

I'm not claiming that it's ultra-stellar, just an incremental improvement over what I was eating before.

Sandwiches, I'd typically put something like corned beef (yes I know some lunch meats are high sodium), cheese, mustard, etc. Do I think this is The Ultimate Healthy Meal? No. But hopefully better than a doughnut loaded with trans fats?

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
My normal diet is something like this:

- Fast food
- Subway
- Doughnuts
- Coffee

Not great, right? Luckily I'm blessed with high metabolism so I'm still skinny as heck.

But when I go into "workout mode", I try to eat more healthy. I switch to things like:

- Sandwiches
- Perogies
- Bagels
- Salad
- etc.

After a few days, I always start to feel sick to my stomach, and there doesn't seem to be any one thing that causes it.

Am I just used to more high-sugar, high-fat stuff, or is there something else that could be going on?

In general eating new foods takes time to adapt to. Vegetarians that suddenly begin eating meat may have a bit of discomfort at first.

Your list of healthy food doesn't seem healthy, especially for working out. Eat what this guy tells you to:

http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_1.htm
http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/leaneating_2.htm

Protein:

* Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Cod
* Eggs
* Chicken breasts
* Cottage cheese
* Milk protien isolates
* Whey-casein blends
* Lean Red Meat

Carbohydrates:

* Vegetables
* Mixed beans
* Low-GI fruits
* Oatmeal/Oat bran
* Mixed-grain bread
* Small amounts of protein-enriched pasta

Fats:

* Flax oil
* EPA/DHA
* Olive oil
* Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
* Fish oil

In addition, here's the other list that I give to my clients. These are foods to avoid at all costs:

Proteins:

* Fatty meats
* Fatty dairy
* Most lunch meat
* Large amounts of milk
* Large amounts of soy

Carbohydrates:

* Regular bread
* Added sugar
* Most cereals
* Soda
* Fruit juice
* Bagels
* Fruit bars
* Candy

Fats:

* Margarine
* Vegetable oil (I'm betting you load your salad with soybean oil)
* Corn oil
* Heated/fried oil

Okay, I'd rather not turn this into a debate about the quality of my new diet.

It's not a debate. Berardi is a real doctor of nutrition, and directs the nutrition of professional athletes and Olympic competitors. He's uses hard facts/science, so there's really no arguing with that. :)

You just made a very understandable common mistake. The media and its "doctors" blasted propaganda that low fat processed carbs are healthy for over two decades, when it really is very unhealthy. Subway is one of the few major things that's still spewing this bullsh1t.

The discomfort is because you are lacking the digestive enzymes, because the bacterial cultures in your digestive system are geared toward your old diet, and because you are seriously lacking protein.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
To be healthy, you need protein with the essential amino acids, fiber, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals, and glucose.

How you get these are up to you.

Yes certain fats have been associated with heart disease but then I recommend moderation.

Alphathree33

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2000
"Protein:

* Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Cod
* Eggs
* Chicken breasts
* Cottage cheese
* Milk protien isolates
* Whey-casein blends
* Lean Red Meat

Carbohydrates:

* Vegetables
* Mixed beans
* Low-GI fruits
* Oatmeal/Oat bran
* Mixed-grain bread
* Small amounts of protein-enriched pasta

Fats:

* Flax oil
* EPA/DHA
* Olive oil
* Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
* Fish oil "

I've never really understood how I'm supposed to live off a list of food like this, though.

So what, eat a bunch of nuts, then wash them down with fish oil? Where do you even find "fish oil"? And all of the nuts I find in the grocery store are always salted.

Eggs, chicken breast, veggies are all great, but I don't have time to cook a meal like that all the time.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
So what, eat a bunch of nuts, then wash them down with fish oil? Where do you even find "fish oil"? And all of the nuts I find in the grocery store are always salted.

Eggs, chicken breast, veggies are all great, but I don't have time to cook a meal like that all the time.

A lot of people supplement with fish oil. Usually in purified capsules for the health benefits. They contain omega 3 fats DHA/EPA which are great for brain and circulatory health. They're also fantastic at mobilizing body fat, so if you take it just before a bunch of cardio, a much higher percentage of your workout will burn from body fat. Adding green tea to it makes it better.

Some applications of that list:
1. Huge can of mixed nuts. Delicious, and very cost efficient food. No prep time.
2. Olive oil on salad, and lightly cooked food.
3. My grocery store sells high quality lean precooked frozen meat. It's just lean mean with a few spices. I just pop them in the microwave for a defrost, and just make sure not to overcook because microwaves can destroy protein (you'll know when if the meat is really hard to chew).
4. A lot of body builders add oil to shakes that they make. They usually use vanilla or chocolate flavored milk protein isolate (casein + whey, you can buy this online in bulk. Very cost efficient) and stuff like flax oil and peanut butter and mixed frozen berries.
5. If you don't know how to eat fruits and veggies, just buy the party trays.
6. When buying bread, just get the whole grain stuff. German dark wheat is usually a good formula. Watch out for soy flour and corn syrup. Those should never be in real bread.
7. Protein rich pasta. I believe barilla plus combines egg whites with flax seeds and normal pasta. Use a lot of lean beef and get some sauce that's not sweetened too much (prego is one of the worst).
8. Eggs. You can do a lot with this.
9. If you're grocery store offers it, get some soft tortillas that have oat fiber as one of the primary ingredients, add beef, seasoning, whatever, and you have delicious tacos that can never put on body fat. The soluble fiber of oat fiber puts carb digestion to a craw.

There seems to be this misconception of healthy with salad. I constantly see this, and people get expired iceburg lettuce with croutons and ranch dressing.

Here's a real salad:
1. Spring mix
2. Chicken
3. Walnuts
4. Strawberries
5. Honey mustard that's made of honey, mustard seed, and vinegar. Not corn syrup.