I accidentally rolled on a RP server... the horror...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
Run around screaming JOUST! and killing everyone of a lower level, theres a surefire way to have fun.

Nah, just go see the movie! (if you were born after 1984 you can probably ignore this safely)

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
There is one server in LOTRO that is the unofficial 'roleplaying server'.

Role a character on gladden... I know that is not the RP server.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
An RP server is the only way to play an MMO. Otherwise why bother. You don't have to speak in "Old English" (they are actually just using archaic words not real OE). Just speak in character and do things your character WOULD do- That's the point of an RPG anyway.

Olde English isn't the problem, staying in character is. This is mainly because I have never been, nor will I ever be in character. I can't even wrap my head around what that means.

My guild in WOW was sort of like ATOT that you could chat in while leveling. We discussed pretty much everything. We even had one black guy, just like ATOT. I don't want to join a guild filled with assholes talking about what their character had for dinner last night.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
An RP server is the only way to play an MMO. Otherwise why bother. You don't have to speak in "Old English" (they are actually just using archaic words not real OE). Just speak in character and do things your character WOULD do- That's the point of an RPG anyway.

Olde English isn't the problem, staying in character is. This is mainly because I have never been, nor will I ever be in character. I can't even wrap my head around what that means.

My guild in WOW was sort of like ATOT that you could chat in while leveling. We discussed pretty much everything. We even had one black guy, just like ATOT. I don't want to join a guild filled with assholes talking about what their character had for dinner last night.

You just don't want to end up like that guy who married his mom's character in-game, later to find out who she really was.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

you've never pretended to be anything? you've never acted, basically?

for instance - cowboys and indians, cops and robbers

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

Erm, not recently. I do distinctly recall hunting a Predator when I was in 3rd grade though. What was I thinking, there's no way I could have taken a Predator...

I guess the problem is suspending disbelief. I can do it just fine in a movie or in a game because it's all professionally designed to immerse you. But when some cock types "Tis a fine day for farming! Nothing can be better than the feel of the earth beneath my feet and the blue sky above" my brain screams at me: THIS ASSHOLE IS ROLEPLAYING A FARMER, WTF.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

Erm, not recently. I do distinctly recall hunting a Predator when I was in 3rd grade though. What was I thinking, there's no way I could have taken a Predator...

I guess the problem is suspending disbelief. I can do it just fine in a movie or in a game because it's all professionally designed to immerse you. But when some cock types "Tis a fine day for farming! Nothing can be better than the feel of the earth beneath my feet and the blue sky above" my brain screams at me: THIS ASSHOLE IS ROLEPLAYING A FARMER, WTF.

Guild chat is OOC. How could you be talking with those people in character? There aren't phones in WoW

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004

Guild chat is OOC. How could you be talking with those people in character? There aren't phones in WoW

That question just broke my brain. Are you asking about wow or lotro?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: TallBill
*sigh*, if only a decent mmorpg would come out.

There is one and it's called EVE Online though it does have a steep learning curve and requires a lot of patience to learn the ins and outs.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
AFAIK there are no RP servers for LOTRO.... There are like 10 servers and none of them say anything about dedicated RPing. Sure I can see a kinship or two doing it but there are no servers...

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JBT
AFAIK there are no RP servers for LOTRO.... There are like 10 servers and none of them say anything about dedicated RPing. Sure I can see a kinship or two doing it but there are no servers...

Landroval is the unofficial RP server.

I just rerolled on Gladden, coincidentally. How's the population? What classes are in demand?

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I recently just picked it back up. Had a lvl 50 champ before I sold it off. I only have a couple of low level toons now. In my experience Minsterals and Guards are the most needed. This may hve changed in the highier level stuff since I left but I doubt it.
Population is fine IMO but again the toons I've got havn't really needed help with anything yet.

Guard is a lvl 12 the Burg is a 9... I've been playing PVP alot with my Warg for the most part and hope to reach rank II this week.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: CP5670
Originally posted by: Xavier434

There are tons of reasons which answer that question, but I won't go over any of them. I will say that all of these games are being given the name "role playing game" for traditional and categorical reasons. They have evolved so much since they were first being created and so many people play them for so many reasons beyond role playing that the category really doesn't define the games anywhere near as much as it used to. Don't ask me what to call them instead though lol.

The term "role playing game" could applied to just about anything if you take it literally. You're playing a role in any game where you control a character, which for example includes every FPS out there. :p

I do my role playing in the bedroom :D

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

That question just broke my brain. Are you asking about wow or lotro?

Hm I think I meant to quote you. But I was talking about WoW. Guild chat is normally accepted as OOC.

The best part of an RP server is you can petition to make people with stupid names like XXKILLERCHAOSXX and PWNNUBSFAP change them.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: JBT

Landroval is the unofficial RP server.

I just rerolled on Gladden, coincidentally. How's the population? What classes are in demand?

All classes are in demand because the population is not uber high.

I play mainly as a loremaster but my next most played alt is a champion.

Basically, I'd play whatever class you like the best... playing pretty much every class I have no trouble getting groups together getting invited for group quests.

As you know, join a good guild with your main toon asap... really nice for doing quests and getting help with crafted items or tough elite/signature mobs.