I absolutely HATE when...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate when you are in the checkout line at the supermarket, and the cashier keeps trying to make small talk while ringing up your stuff. "Oh, clam jerky is back in stock? I've never tried that. What do you make with that? Is it good? Kind of expensive, though. Oh, nice steaks too. And a lot of them! Are you having a party? Cause I'm not working this weekend, ha ha."

Please, Aunt Mary, just keep pushing the barcodes past the little window.

Yea I hate this too. I had a guy at Target the other day do this, asking about every damn item. I bought some of those small plastic storage boxes and he starts in "Oh, little storage boxes? What do you store in these things? After you store things in them, where do you put them?"

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I hate it when I take a dump, get it all wiped up and cleaned up, then I feel a movement and there's a messy mushy straggler that also wants to come out and I have to wipe all over again.

Also hate taking a dump and it breaks in half, and I don't have enough compression to get the 2nd half out.

ViperXX

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2001
When this lady I work with follows everything she says and you say with a Huh?

Me and my co-workers made a game out of it and try to huh each other all the time. If they repeat what they just said after we huh them they lose.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I hate it when people make "bacon", but, it's not bacon, it's "turkey" bacon. THATS NOT FVCKIN BACON. THATS TURKEY YOU ARSEHOLE!

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011

Me and my co-workers made a game out of it and try to huh each other all the time. If they repeat what they just said after we huh them they lose.

Huh?

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
My pet peeve is people whose pet peeve is the poor usage of "literally." Yes, people misuse it all the time, but it is just another form of exaggeration. Do you also get annoyed when they use "really" incorrectly? Like "he really punched out all my blood!"

Something that grinds my gears is the complete idiocy of the TSA and the people waiting in line at security. I'm really not sure who is a stupider group of people. I was at the SEA-TAC airport a few days ago and literally (ha!) every single person in front of me in line made at least one stupid mistake (left shoes one, cell phone in the back pocket, leaving their stuff before it gets on the conveyor belt, leaving thick jackets on). It must have been the slowest TSA line I've ever been in.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I don't know if it's my biggest, but I get way more upset about traffic than most people. If I get stuck in traffic for 20 minutes it absolutely ruins my day.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005

I know SEVERAL people who that. It's either "Huh?" or "What?". I don't repeat myself and either continue the conversation or I leave. That shit is annoying.

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
I don't know if it's my biggest, but I get way more upset about traffic than most people. If I get stuck in traffic for 20 minutes it absolutely ruins my day.

Yep, I feel your pain....I have purposely planned my life around not being around bad traffic.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
in the grocery store, people that buy alcohol in the express lanes that dont have people over 21 working in them. because if they have to go get someone older to ring it up, that's not "express". also no checks should be allowed. exact change only. actually, express lane should be judged by transaction time, not items. 20 seconds or less.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

I get annoyed when that includes people doing dumb stuff in said traffic. I think the worst thing around here is when someone realizes they made a mistake (not in the right lane, etc) and rather than continue on and turn around (a proper correction), they make whatever move they need from whatever lane they're in.

Two examples of this:
1) 65MPH Highway... I watched a car get in the median lane (where cops are supposed to sit) and pull out in front of a car with maybe 100 feet in between them.
2) I was going to the mall the other day, and the entrance has two lanes (left turn, right turn). I needed to go left, so obviously I was in the left turn. Well, the guy in the right lane decided that he needed to go left as well, so he just turns in front of me. :|

I've actually had a few close calls at that mall. There's a loop that goes around it with two lanes in each direction. I was in the inside lane and a van was in the outside lane slightly in front of me, and when going around a corner, the van driver decided he wanted to be Mario Andretti, and he cuts into my lane while making the turn. I had to slam on my brakes just to avoid hitting the guy. :\

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
People who speed up in a parking lot. I mean jeeeziz h. kriste, if ever there was place where you should slow down, that's it. Cars everywhere, pedestrians moving slowly with carts, what else would better signal a reduction in speed? Grumble, bitch, moan....

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
I hate when you are in the checkout line at the supermarket, and the cashier keeps trying to make small talk while ringing up your stuff. "Oh, clam jerky is back in stock? I've never tried that. What do you make with that? Is it good? Kind of expensive, though. Oh, nice steaks too. And a lot of them! Are you having a party? Cause I'm not working this weekend, ha ha."

Please, Aunt Mary, just keep pushing the barcodes past the little window.

What is worse is when they are chatting with the person in FRONT of you and they are actually chatting BACK! They have like 5 things, you get in the line because it should be quick and then they spend several minutes chattering back and forth. It should be legal to shoot these people. DO YOUR JOB, TALK ON YOUR BREAKS!

NoCreativity

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I get annoyed when that includes people doing dumb stuff in said traffic. I think the worst thing around here is when someone realizes they made a mistake (not in the right lane, etc) and rather than continue on and turn around (a proper correction), they make whatever move they need from whatever lane they're in.

Two examples of this:
1) 65MPH Highway... I watched a car get in the median lane (where cops are supposed to sit) and pull out in front of a car with maybe 100 feet in between them.
2) I was going to the mall the other day, and the entrance has two lanes (left turn, right turn). I needed to go left, so obviously I was in the left turn. Well, the guy in the right lane decided that he needed to go left as well, so he just turns in front of me. :|

I've actually had a few close calls at that mall. There's a loop that goes around it with two lanes in each direction. I was in the inside lane and a van was in the outside lane slightly in front of me, and when going around a corner, the van driver decided he wanted to be Mario Andretti, and he cuts into my lane while making the turn. I had to slam on my brakes just to avoid hitting the guy. :\

Had a guy last week come to a complete stop in the center lane of a 70 MPH three lane (in one direction) highway, make a 90 degree right turn and drive up and over the median to get on the off ramp.

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
Slow walkers are definitely #1. Trucks in the left lane, when not making a turn *very soon* are way up there.

Oct 20, 2005
I absolutely hate it when I'm at a fast food place like Potbelly's (or quizno's, etc) and they take my order, start my sandwich, and then proceed to leave the sandwich at the end of the oven thing while they try to start up the next 5 people's orders behind me.

WTF asshole! If my sandwich is sitting at the end of the toaster oven thing, you better damn well get back to my sandwich and finish it so A) it won't be burnt on one side, B) I can get my food and get the fuck out of there.

If the sandwich is going through the oven, fine, go start some other orders, but don't just let it sit there for 5 extra minutes while you do other shit.

Pisses me off every time that happens to me. And yes I tell them to finish my food if it's just sitting there.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I absolutely hate it when I'm at a fast food place like Potbelly's (or quizno's, etc) and they take my order, start my sandwich, and then proceed to leave the sandwich at the end of the oven thing while they try to start up the next 5 people's orders behind me.

WTF asshole! If my sandwich is sitting at the end of the toaster oven thing, you better damn well get back to my sandwich and finish it so A) it won't be burnt on one side, B) I can get my food and get the fuck out of there.

If the sandwich is going through the oven, fine, go start some other orders, but don't just let it sit there for 5 extra minutes while you do other shit.

Pisses me off every time that happens to me. And yes I tell them to finish my food if it's just sitting there.

I absolutely hate when... people are entitled asshats who give poor service people a hard time. You sound like an asshole. You can be right and still be an asshole, like this case.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
The new trend of fast food places (Arbys, taco bell) asking for a name for the order.

This just happened to me the other day. Thing that was evening more annoying about it was they brought the food and started reading off the contents of the bag, and not just saying my name.

If you ask for my name... use it!

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I hate when people cut in front of me at a red light when there's nobody in front of me... even more so when they go slower than the car they got out from behind and trap me behind them.