I’ve been on a bit of a gun buying spree this year.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I bid on and won a genuine Colt Single Action Army. My son expressed an interest in this gun so I decided to get it for him for Christmas. Of course, he isn’t quite old enough to own it so it will be registered in my name until he is old enough. I was kind of surprised how difficult it is to find this gun for purchase anywhere. I ended up buying a used one in near mint condition (this is a gun that is 16-18 years old) but it was still more than double the cost of a decent clone.

Not really expecting to get it in time for the holidays but I can’t wait to get it. I owned a Ruger Vaquero in .45 Long Colt, which this one is also chambered in, but I sold it many years ago because I just didn’t shoot it much. I still have some .45 Long Colt ammo though so I’ll definitely use it.

I purchased a Smith & Wesson model 29 and a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP this year. I’ve put about 100 rounds through the model 29 and around 200 rounds through the SA.

Reactions: OCGuy

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Isnt that gun in a rather large caliber, recoil-wise?? 45 long colt, innit?? I take it your kid has no problem handling it?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I assembled some stripped lowers a few years ago and assembled some AR-15s and got a SA XD 9mm and a Beretta 22mm handgun *(to shoot cheap). I sold an AR-15 to a friend of mine so I could buy a new gas range. I really don't shoot all that much because ammo ain't cheap.

At some point, I'm going to inherit my mom and dad's guns. He's got some good ones. Quite a few revolvers, including a 44 magnum ruger, a 357 ruger, and a 357 Smith & Wesson titanium...(which is fun to put mags in if you like pain in your palm) He's got a 20 gauge, 12 gauge pump, SA 1895 30-40 carbine (sawed short) and a few other cool guns. The 1895 is cool because my grandfather bought it in the 1930s for $7 and used to shoot fish with it using steel jacketed bullets. (shot the bottom of the river and fish would float to the top of the water where he'd collect them from the boat) I like the history more than pulling the trigger on that thing.....it kicks pretty hard.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I got two I think, a sweet M57 Tokarev:
DSC_0014.png

and a Taurus G2C for bug out/get home bag.

I think the last rifle I got, a Marlin 336 lever action, was in 2017.

Reactions: OCGuy

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The zombie is at 20 feet and closing, which do you use?

There is a good chance I would end up using something that I cropped out of the left side of the frame:

Attachments

• adult-diapers-500x500.jpg
    adult-diapers-500x500.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 6

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
No no no, everybody knows zombies are best dispatched via melee weapons, preferably a katana or a chainsaw (also useful for demons and other undead).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Isnt that gun in a rather large caliber, recoil-wise?? 45 long colt, innit?? I take it your kid has no problem handling it?

.45 Long Colt isn’t bad. He shoots my S&W .44 magnum revolvers and those are punishing. .45 Long Colt has about the muzzle velocity of a .45 ACP, which he is very comfortable with.

Feb 10, 2000
I sold my only guns (a JP Enterprises JP-15 and Glock 17) this year. My wife didn't want them around, as we have a toddler and nephews who are 9-15 and visit fairly often, and I didn't really care.

Reactions: repoman0

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I sold my only guns (a JP Enterprises JP-15 and Glock 17) this year. My wife didn't want them around, as we have a toddler and nephews who are 9-15 and visit fairly often, and I didn't really care.

Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

My wife didn’t care that I own guns when our son was born. I have a gun safe and no gun has ever been available for kids to find in my house despite the fact that I own almost 20 of them.

Reactions: KeithP and Paladin3

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Get the penile lengthening instead, it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

I own plenty of firearms, when I was younger I even lifted my truck when it was "in". I don't think it has anything to do with phallic insecurity.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

My wife didn’t care that I own guns when our son was born. I have a gun safe and no gun has ever been available for kids to find in my house despite the fact that I own almost 20 of them.

I'm going to end up dumping all my non-historic stuff next year probably. It's become a pain to manage, I haven't shot any of it in years now, and the husband doesn't like them.

Incidentally if you have any recommendations for rifle ranges in the SD area I'd be interested.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I'm going to end up dumping all my non-historic stuff next year probably. It's become a pain to manage, I haven't shot any of it in years now, and the husband doesn't like them.

Incidentally if you have any recommendations for rifle ranges in the SD area I'd be interested.

Actually, I do.

In Poway is probably one of the nicest gun store/ranges I’ve ever been in. They even have a well lit, well ventilated 100 yard indoor rifle range.

https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/

I highly recommend this place. I purchased a gun from them this year and an 800lb gun safe from them as well. It’s not cheap to shoot there but the staff is very helpful.

What are you looking to sell? I might be interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1052

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I'm going to be near there next week for vacation. Carlsbad.
I might go there to shoot for my very first time!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Actually, I do.

In Poway is probably one of the nicest gun store/ranges I’ve ever been in. They even have a well lit, well ventilated 100 yard indoor rifle range.

https://www.weaponsandgearrange.com/

I highly recommend this place. I purchased a gun from them this year and an 800lb gun safe from them as well. It’s not cheap to shoot there but the staff is very helpful.

What are you looking to sell? I might be interested.

Looks nice. Thanks!

What I sell will partially depend on what meets our shared definition of "historic". Probably going to let go of my AK, FAL, Galil, and a few others. Probably pare down the SKS collection as well (like why do I have 3 mint condition Yugo SKS...they were $100 each lol). A lot of my collection is military bolt guns plus a few Garands which I'll retain.

Targeting, no pun intended, a move to SD late 2019 or early 2020 right now.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Looks nice. Thanks!

What I sell will partially depend on what meets our shared definition of "historic". Probably going to let go of my AK, FAL, Galil, and a few others. Probably pare down the SKS collection as well (like why do I have 3 mint condition Yugo SKS...they were $100 each lol). A lot of my collection is military bolt guns plus a few Garands which I'll retain.

Yeah, I’m not really interested in that type of gun.

Poway is a bit of a haul from Carlsbad. I’m near Carlsbad and shoot at the Firing Line but I work in Poway so that’s how I know about that gun store.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Looks nice. Thanks!

I've always had a thing for Galils, got a pic? What's the condition, story? You first owner?

Yeah hang onto those Garands, I def would.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Anyone here ever try the CZ 527? I think I may be smitten with the mini Mauser action and set trigger, and love how it's designed to eat cheap 7.62, which I have in abundance.