I’m a cop. If you don’t want to get hurt, don’t challenge me.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
I rarely see one use a turn signal when changing lanes.

many or most people don't, or if they do then they turn on the signal after already initiating the movement, missing the point. People...

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The average speedometer has at least 10% tolerance...

I calibrate mine as often as police officers do for when they do differential radaring, it's the best way to get those tickets thrown out. What is your point though?

He didn't care that we were going over or under the speed limit, he cared that he was passed on the road. So.... care to address that?

Edit: Also that 10% figure is wildly inaccurate. Please get your facts straight. Cars leave the factory with a max allowable tolerance of +/- 2.5, or 5% inaccuracy. There shouldn't be much to change that providing you keep stock size tires on the car.

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Which is funny, because cops blow by other traffic all the time with no lights or siren.

Laws for thee, but not for me!

I have 3 acquaintances who are cops. They have all bragged to me how many times they get pulled over while off duty in their personal vehicles (lots of times). Yes, BRAG. All are very aggressive drivers. Not one ticket between them or their spouses. None of them ever worries that they'll get a ticket as long as they have their magic badge/business card.

What incentive do they have to follow the traffic laws? None...it certainly doesn't come from being a good person who thinks they should drive in a way that doesn't put others in danger. "Professional courtesy" is complete horse crap and makes the road more dangerous for everyone.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I am at roughly 14 for 14 for getting pulled over and receiving warnings.

I don't know how this can be true unless you are a cop or family member of one.

I've been pulled over 8 or 9 times in my life. I got a ticket every time. My demeanor is very polite and calm. I make sure all my windows are rolled down, engine/music off, keep my hands visible and non-twitchy, and I even go out of my way to use proper honorifics ("yes officer Smith", "no deputy Jones", etc...). So yeah, super polite. I still don't know what it's like to get off with a warning. But I was guilty in every case except one so I didn't complain and just paid the tickets.

If you act respectfully, you will get respect back.

Not always. I've gotten condescending lectures several times. That isn't respectful. You're already giving me a ticket, you won, I feel pain as is.

And one time a cop kept rephrasing the question "How many warrants do you have out for your arrest?". I'd answer "none", so he said "Which counties were your warrants issued in?". This went on for 3 or 4 questions. He was basically communicating the following: (1) He has judged without facts that I'm a criminal (2) He knows without facts that I'm a liar about #1 (3) He knows without evidence that I'm so effing stupid that all he has to do is rephrase the question enough times and I'll be tricked in to admitting #s 1 and 2. I was calm at the time but that guy's attitude really pisses me off now when I think back on the incident.

Another odd encounter that reminds me of above is when I lost some personal property that was identifiable as mine at a store. I was contacted to retrieve it at a police evidence room (the guy who took it got arrested later with the item in his possession). When I got there, the cop in charge of the evidence room asked "where were you arrested?" I told him that I wasn't arrested and I told him the story of my lost property. Then he immediately asked "when were you arrested?" I then explained to him that I have never been arrested and repeated the story. So he retrieved the item before he handed it to me asked if I was sure I didn't have anything else on me when I was arrested. I was VERY confused why he did that and felt pretty disrespected. Anyone have any ideas why he'd do that?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I don't know how this can be true unless you are a cop or family member of one.

I've been pulled over 8 or 9 times in my life. I got a ticket every time. My demeanor is very polite and calm. I make sure all my windows are rolled down, engine/music off, keep my hands visible and non-twitchy, and I even go out of my way to use proper honorifics ("yes officer Smith", "no deputy Jones", etc...). So yeah, super polite. I still don't know what it's like to get off with a warning. But I was guilty in every case except one so I didn't complain and just paid the tickets.

Not always. I've gotten condescending lectures several times. That isn't respectful. You're already giving me a ticket, you won, I feel pain as is.

And one time a cop kept rephrasing the question "How many warrants do you have out for your arrest?". I'd answer "none", so he said "Which counties were your warrants issued in?". This went on for 3 or 4 questions. He was basically communicating the following: (1) He has judged without facts that I'm a criminal (2) He knows without facts that I'm a liar about #1 (3) He knows without evidence that I'm so effing stupid that all he has to do is rephrase the question enough times and I'll be tricked in to admitting #s 1 and 2. I was calm at the time but that guy's attitude really pisses me off now when I think back on the incident.

Another odd encounter that reminds me of above is when I lost some personal property that was identifiable as mine at a store. I was contacted to retrieve it at a police evidence room (the guy who took it got arrested later with the item in his possession). When I got there, the cop in charge of the evidence room asked "where were you arrested?" I told him that I wasn't arrested and I told him the story of my lost property. Then he immediately asked "when were you arrested?" I then explained to him that I have never been arrested and repeated the story. So he retrieved the item before he handed it to me asked if I was sure I didn't have anything else on me when I was arrested. I was VERY confused why he did that and felt pretty disrespected. Anyone have any ideas why he'd do that?

Not a single cop in my family. The last time I got pulled over was weak probable cause (apparently i drifted in the late when taking a sip of my coffee, pretty sure that didn't happen), it looks like a sgt was training someone on how to pull something over. He asked about my car and my cat that was in the car; nbd. Time before that I was pulled over for wrong plate on wrong car (had 2 cars at that time), twice in one night. Before that cops rolled next to me, motioned at me to roll my window down and told me to slow down.

Do you have a criminal record? Drive a $500 beater like every person ever arrested on COPS the tv show? Clearly cops will be more apprehensive of you do. I would bet what's happening is that the previous resident of your current address has a colorful history, so when they run your plate they assume you're the colorful character.

Last edited:

Vapid Cabal

Dec 2, 2013
many or most people don't, or if they do then they turn on the signal after already initiating the movement, missing the point. People...

LOL folks just don't understand that those signals are for the drivers YOU DON'T SEE.

Sattern

Jul 20, 2014
Skylercompany.com
Do as I say not as I do, I know many cops who speed regularly and let certain individuals go for things because they know them personally.

Its a rigid system and I think the law enforcement agencies should be regulated, heck that isn't enough for me they should hire people who actually do their job the right way and not be afraid to dump those that are corrupt.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Maybe, just maybe, people that don't follow the law shouldn't be tasked with enforcing the law.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Not a single cop in my family. The last time I got pulled over was weak probable cause (apparently i drifted in the late when taking a sip of my coffee, pretty sure that didn't happen), it looks like a sgt was training someone on how to pull something over. He asked about my car and my cat that was in the car; nbd. Time before that I was pulled over for wrong plate on wrong car (had 2 cars at that time), twice in one night. Before that cops rolled next to me, motioned at me to roll my window down and told me to slow down.

Do you have a criminal record? Drive a $500 beater like every person ever arrested on COPS the tv show? Clearly cops will be more apprehensive of you do. I would bet what's happening is that the previous resident of your current address has a colorful history, so when they run your plate they assume you're the colorful character.

I can remember 9 times I was pulled over. Three for speeding, twice for light above license plate being out, once for tail lights being out, twice for suspicion of DUI, and once for illegal passing. I got tickets for the speeding and let go the rest of the time. I've always been polite and respectful. I should've gotten a ticket for the illegal passing, but I admitted fault and the cop was cool and gave me a warning.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I had a state trooper that pulled me over speeding and realized I had new tires on the car. He asked if I had the speedometer verified and gave me the address of a place that performed this service. Come to find out my speedometer was off exactly the amount I was over the limit. Presented the report to the judge and charges were lowered to a non point charge of improper equipment. Even when you include the cost of the calibration service it was cheaper than the speeding violation would have cost.