Hyundai & Kia compensating buyers due to exaggerated fuel mileage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mermaidman, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Diamond Member

FYI, for those of you who bought new Hyundais or Kias. Those Hamstars were Scamsters!

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia overstated the fuel economy of many of their models, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday.
    In response, Hyundai and Kia said they will pay owners for additional fuel costs associated with mileage difference.
    Meanwhile, the EPA will also post new lower fuel economy figures for many Hyundai and Kia models on its website, fueleconomy.gov, and new window stickers will be printed for cars still on dealer lots.

Just to let the OT people know you can discuss this subject but no need to go off the deep end with your OT mouths...
    While it ok to to toss out the occasional F...bomb there is way to much here for ATG so keep it civil, is that to much to ask...?
    It does NOT make you look important or even close to being mature so keep it somewhat clean or stay out...

AT Moderator
    Bartman39

#1 Mermaidman, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  2. dr150

dr150 Diamond Member

I think VW also had a squabble with consumers over diesel numbers.

I noticed they came down a bit this year on older established models.

3. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Thats nice. Is Chevy gonna pay me off for shitty build quality and excessive "deleted" maintenance?

Ok keep it civil getting a bit over...

AT Moderator
    Bartman39

#3 shortylickens, Nov 2, 2012
  4. PottedMeat

PottedMeat Lifer

i hate those stupid "deleted" hamsters.

Not OT and this is getting excessive...

AT Moderator
    Bartman39

that's nice - i guess they've got everything covered.

#4 PottedMeat, Nov 2, 2012
  5. Zeze

Zeze Diamond Member

Wait, something doesn't add up.

Aren't MPG independently benchmarked by EPA? If so, how did this problem arise in the first place?

6. Krazy4Real

Krazy4Real Lifer

Thanks, sent this to my sister. She has a Tucson.

7. Mermaidman

Mermaidman Diamond Member

Haha! Too bad for you--Those aren't on the window sticker! :sneaky: Also, didn't you buy it severely used?

Not a good thing to follow suit always...

AT Moderator
    Bartman39

#7 Mermaidman, Nov 2, 2012
  8. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

read the article

9. Wyndru

Wyndru Diamond Member

Wow, I'm surprised that they are going pay people money back for each mile they drive for the lifetime of the car.

10. BrunoPuntzJones

Humm. So it will work something like this?

Should have been 25MPG instead of 30MPG, 5MPG difference.

Drove 10k miles, requiring 400 gallons of fuel instead of the sticker estimate of 333 gallons.

Extra 67 gallons consumed for the year. Say local price is $3. 15% extra for $3.45 a gallon, at 67 gallons is a debit card for about $230?

Figure over 5 years about $1150 back. Not too shabby. But that's on the high side, and assuming how they are calculating.

I had looked at the Soul, and Soul owner boards are loaded with people bitching about the actual gas mileage.

The Hyundai dealership here has a big sign out from that says 42 MPG! And ads on TV are always quoting highway mileage these days. Seemed kinda chicken shit. See our car gets 42 MPG and the Prius C only gets 46MPG. So you're really going to spend that much more only to save 4MPG? Salesmen are shitbags.

11. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Makes sense. In the last 20 years the only car my dad has been unable to exceed EPA ratings with is his 2011 Sonata. I knew there had to be something funny going on.

12. Jimzz

Jimzz Diamond Member

No. The EPA says this is how you should run the test, run it and report back.
    The EPA is to small/under funded to test every car out there. So they kinda work like the IRS. They set the rules and then do random audits to keep people honest.

I don't think Kia or Hyundai are the only ones over setting their numbers. Yea gas milage will go up, esp as gas prices go higher, but for everyone to hit the same "40mpg" mark seems more marketing than truth.

13. phucheneh

phucheneh Diamond Member

Hasn't cheating been pretty common in the past? Like manufacturers removing accessories or detuning engines for the test? I've definitely read about some shenanigans like this in the past; can't remember where.

I also had thought the EPA recieved test samples and rated them on their own. This now makes me think advertised MPG is even more of a joke. The window sticker should come with a big 'PLUS OR MINUS 25%' disclaimer.

14. andylawcc

andylawcc Lifer

it's about time....

but I too am surprised that they are reimbursing though.

15. Ferzerp

Ferzerp Diamond Member

You're the guy that drives at street speeds in 4-low, so probably not.

#15 Ferzerp, Nov 2, 2012
  16. mmntech

mmntech Lifer

You're saying busted lower control arms, faulty sensors, bad cats, and blown pistons aren't cheap repairs?! :p
    Yeah, I've had all of those happen. Not on my own cars thank god. Never owned a Chev but driven many.

The fuel economy ratings are way out of wack here in Canada, which is something that really irks me. Chevrolet says the Tahoe gets 28mpg highway on the Canadian site but only 21mpg on the US site. They claim the Cruze gets 52mpg. No f-ing way.

I'm just picking on Chev because I was looking for a monstrous vehicle and the Tahoe was the first that came to mind. All car companies are like this. They still test them here under ideal conditions on level tracks. Even then it's a stretch. Should I get comped for my gas expenses? If Hyundai has to, Honda better have the cheque in the mail.

#16 mmntech, Nov 2, 2012
  17. CrackRabbit

CrackRabbit Lifer

Strange, I actually tend to get above average fuel economy in mine.
    The city mileage tends to be a bit lower than sticker due to the hilly nature of the cities where I live, but highway mileage makes up for it in a big way.

18. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Yeah, our test is now a bit tougher and Canada is using the Imperial gallon, which is quite a bit bigger than the US gallon. Combine those and you get a 4X4 Grand Cherokee 5.7L rated at 17/28 in Canada vs 13/20 US.

19. Dari

Dari Lifer

It's about "deleted" time they got caught. Almost all their cars had that goddamn 40mpg highway number. It just did not make any sense. Now we know it was all a lie...

No reason to discuss like this save it for OT...

AT Moderator
    Bartman39

#19 Dari, Nov 2, 2012
  20. jagec

jagec Lifer

Recently we were in Seattle and rented a compact. They gave us a Kia Soul instead. I was surprised by how bad the mileage was for a modern "small" car...and I tried to milk the gas pedal for all that it was worth. In my aunt's Honda Fit, I could get over 40 MPG on the highway if I didn't speed to much...getting over 30 MPG was impossible with this thing.

I guess having the aerodynamics of a brick doesn't help your fuel efficiency, huh?

21. marvdmartian

marvdmartian Diamond Member

Too bad for dad. From the article:

22. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

I think this is an unbelievably huge black eye forth the company.

23. yottabit

yottabit Golden Member

Honestly, I think it's really cool that they are doing such a good response to it.

It's hard for me to understand these numbers. I guess I typically exceed them quite a bit, even based on the OLD ratings. However I'm much more in-line with the old ratings (pre-2008 changes) than the new ones, so I wish I could see what the new cars would be under the old system.

For instance my 1999 Saturn SC2 I average about 33-35 MPG a tank, my 2005 Mazda3 I could average about 30 MPG a tank, maybe 70/30 HWY/city (both cars manual)

Their NEW ratings are:
    SC2: 23 city/27 combined/34 hwy
    Mazda3: 22 city/25 combined/29 hwy

OLD ratings:
    SC2: 27/31/38
    Mazda3: 25/28/32

I just wonder if it's safe to say if I bought an Accent or something I'd get well above the combined with my driving style

#23 yottabit, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  24. Jumpem

Jumpem Lifer

Glad I didn't go through with getting a Soul. They dropped 5mpg.

25. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

I wonder if they'll do something similar with the Chevy Cruze Eco. They promise 42 MPG highway on that car, but I'd be lucky to get 37 MPG on a good day.