Hyundai Ioniq 5 making a big splash

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chances are your favorite car site/channel is covering this car today, and all the ones I have are overwhelmingly positive.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
if it had a frunk or usable under rear floor trunk space i'd buy it - this is unfortunately a bit of a deal breaker in san francisco. just sold my prius for this reason and waiting on delivery of my model Y, supposedly early next year

For a while I really wanted the Kia EV6 (kia version of this car) until I saw there was basically no frunk.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
if it had a frunk or usable under rear floor trunk space i'd buy it - this is unfortunately a bit of a deal breaker in san francisco. just sold my prius for this reason and waiting on delivery of my model Y, supposedly early next year

For a while I really wanted the Kia EV6 (kia version of this car) until I saw there was basically no frunk.

It does have a frunk! Just not a very big one. Large enough for your charging cable and a couple of odds and ends.

I'm curious, though: why would the absence of a frunk be one of the dealbreakers in San Francisco? I wouldn't think San Franciscans would be hurting for cargo space more than people in other cities, at least not to the modest degree where a frunk can help.

If and when Tesla opens up the Supercharger network to other EVs, I'm starting to think a machine like the Ioniq 5 might be my pick. It's mostly clever EV design without some of Tesla's build quality jank.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
The RWD version has a much bigger frunk. The front motor in the AWD version takes up a lot room. But yeah if you are just trying to hide stuff the rear cargo cover does that.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
It does have a frunk! Just not a very big one. Large enough for your charging cable and a couple of odds and ends.

I'm curious, though: why would the absence of a frunk be one of the dealbreakers in San Francisco? I wouldn't think San Franciscans would be hurting for cargo space more than people in other cities, at least not to the modest degree where a frunk can help.

If and when Tesla opens up the Supercharger network to other EVs, I'm starting to think a machine like the Ioniq 5 might be my pick. It's mostly clever EV design without some of Tesla's build quality jank.
b/c regrettably leaving anything visible in your car means its liable to be broken into, petty crime in SF is waaaaayyy up.

The RWD version has a much bigger frunk. The front motor in the AWD version takes up a lot room. But yeah if you are just trying to hide stuff the rear cargo cover does that.
rear cargo cover signals there is something in there... i left the rear cargo cover open on my Prius Gen 3 and Gen 4 at all times

unless the frunk is large enough to put groceries and luggage in there (like my other car a 911) then it's simply not useful for me. you're right its a lot bigger than the AWD that has that dismal cubby for the charger but not quite big enough:
ioniq5_209.jpg
109tx48ougr71.jpg

Attachments

• 109tx48ougr71.jpg
    109tx48ougr71.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
b/c regrettably leaving anything visible in your car means its liable to be broken into, petty crime in SF is waaaaayyy up.

I see...you could use the false floor in the trunk for a few things, but if you're worried about cargo security it's not the best. Not much of an issue for me.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The Kia version looks cooler to me. It apparently has slightly better range as well.

I'm concerned about the pricing, though. Maybe Papa Joe Biden can save the day with some improved EV tax credits?

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Both the Ioniq 5 and Kia version seem really interesting to me. They seem thoughtful (and keep physical climate controls it looks like) with great warranties. I'll likely be in the market for a new car in 2-3 years so hopefully the timing works out well. I'm not a fan of buying first year run models and am hoping the supply chain gets ironed out. (Maybe even a supply glut from over production trying to corner demand?)

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Announced pricing seems quite reasonable, and Hyundai/Kia still qualify for the federal subsidy.

Personally, I just can't do the IONIQ 5 because of the doors. IMO the bottom trim piece is even uglier than the diagonal line.

Both the Ioniq 5 and Kia version seem really interesting to me. They seem thoughtful (and keep physical climate controls it looks like) with great warranties. I'll likely be in the market for a new car in 2-3 years so hopefully the timing works out well. I'm not a fan of buying first year run models and am hoping the supply chain gets ironed out. (Maybe even a supply glut from over production trying to corner demand?)
The billion dollar question is will global battery production scale up with anticipated BEV demand? I'm not sure anybody really knows. Most of the 2021-2022 supply chain mess for automakers is semiconductor related, and that'll be resolved by two years out.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Reviving this thread as I'm increasingly thinking of the Ioniq 5 (and its Kia EV6 counterpart, for that matter) as my "dream" EV.

I finally saw a couple of Ioniq 5s on the road and... yeah, that's my kind of design. It has a bit of that '80s K-Car vibe (especially in blue, like my family's old Reliant), but it's handsome in a genuinely unique way. The range is healthy, the interior is spacious and thoughtful, and there's plenty of tech inside.

I also have to admit that Elon Musk has seemingly been working overtime to sour me on Tesla. The last straw was his support for the trucker protests when I knew how horrible they were. I know there are many decent people who work at Tesla, but I'm increasingly hesitant to support the company while Musk is still in charge. That's on top of Tesla's ongoing build quality issues. The Ioniq would be a vote of no confidence in Tesla while still offering a good EV in the bargain.

As it stands, I can't help but laugh a bit. Who'd have thought even a few years ago that Hyundai would be making desirable EVs while some of its biggest rivals struggled?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Just got back from California and there are a ton of these on the road now there. Must have seen 20+ of them in a couple days. Less numerous than Teslas to be sure but they haven’t been on sale that long.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just got back from California and there are a ton of these on the road now there. Must have seen 20+ of them in a couple days. Less numerous than Teslas to be sure but they haven’t been on sale that long.

This might be the new bread-and-butter EV... well, for people who can spend at least $43K before incentives. When the Model 3 starts at $46K, Tesla's car could be a tough sell for someone who cares more about build quality and trunk space than gee-whiz features.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This might be the new bread-and-butter EV... well, for people who can spend at least $43K before incentives. When the Model 3 starts at $46K, Tesla's car could be a tough sell for someone who cares more about build quality and trunk space than gee-whiz features.

It is also a significant departure in style if Tesla's smooth blobs don't appeal to you.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Took a friend car shopping today, and she wanted to look at Kia. One of the salesmen had a EV 6, so I got to check it out. The dealership is only getting one more EV6 for the rest of the year. If you don't already have one on order, you will be in for quite the wait.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
2022 EV6 review. Reviewers like it, but torn over which was better Ioniq 5 v EV6. Hyundai/Kia seem to be poised to grow significantly if they could produce decent numbers of these. Once Chinese manufacturers begin Exporting in volume it will be interesting to see how it affects more established Auto manufacturers. Hyundai/Kia seem ready to compete, at least on design/engineering, but volume needs to increase.

Reactions: Ajay

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I like the looks of the EV6 better and the free extra range due to the better Aerodynamics.

Reactions: Ajay

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
2022 EV6 review. Reviewers like it, but torn over which was better Ioniq 5 v EV6. Hyundai/Kia seem to be poised to grow significantly if they could produce decent numbers of these. Once Chinese manufacturers begin Exporting in volume it will be interesting to see how it affects more established Auto manufacturers. Hyundai/Kia seem ready to compete, at least on design/engineering, but volume needs to increase.

I prefer the Ioniq 5 myself, both due to the more distinctive look (I'll agree the EV6 is sleeker) and due to the apparently easier cabin controls. But I'm also splitting hairs to some degree, as these are both very good EVs that might finally give Tesla some fierce competition.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Were they torn? They clearly stated their preference for the box form factor of the Ioniq 5. They basically said if you can't get the Hyundai Ioniq 5, but luck into an EV6, then you'll still be happy.

To state the obvious, the recent trend of fastback/coupe roof lines is silly. Not only does it steal headroom from tall rear seat passengers; it also reduces cargo area, which is presumably an important feature of CUV/SUV.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Were they torn? They clearly stated their preference for the box form factor of the Ioniq 5. They basically said if you can't get the Hyundai Ioniq 5, but luck into an EV6, then you'll still be happy.

To state the obvious, the recent trend of fastback/coupe roof lines is silly. Not only does it steal headroom from tall rear seat passengers; it also reduces cargo area, which is presumably an important feature of CUV/SUV.

That is one review. I assume he meant reviewers in general. Which are quite split, if anything after reading/watching many reviews, I think they lean slightly toward EV6.

Also I don't know what those shorter guys at SavageGeese were complaining about. Doug Demuro (6'3") says the back seat is massive on the EV6 with plenty of headroom:

Last edited: