Hypothetical- Trump shoots Comey. Reps don't impeach. Trump can't be touched

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
These same laws have been in effect for how long?

Now all of a sudden due to TDS it is a problem.

Keep going chicken little, the sky is falling.

LOL.

Look up motherfucker. The sky IS falling.

edit: go touch base with your local neighborhood and get a sense of how far some of them would follow "trumpism". Just for kicks.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Its the "people who discuss racism are the real racists" position

It’s a little amusing and a bit scary how the president and his legal team are literally arguing he has the power to commit murder without criminal consequences and crazies like the guy above are outraged that... people are talking about it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It’s a little amusing and a bit scary how the president and his legal team are literally arguing he has the power to commit murder without criminal consequences and crazies like the guy above are outraged that... people are talking about it.

Saying he has the explicit power to do something isn't the same as saying he theoretically do something given the current circumstances and lack of precedent. Article 2 doesn't say a word about whether a POTUS can pardon himself so you can make a perfectly fine legal argument that it's allowed by omission that would be rightfully addressed by amending the Constitution to remove the ambiguity. There's also a fairly widely held common understanding that POTUS can't be indicted for federal crimes and no precedent for a state/city indicting or arresting him for a violation of their laws. If he theoretically committed murder I don't see why the District of Columbia couldn't indict or prosecute although it needs to be said the Constitution heavily proscribes the city's powers and gives heavy oversight powers to Congress.

I think this still goes back to a separation of powers issues which could be addressed by a law changing the management of special counsels from the executive to judicial branch, perhaps with investigations of POTUS being headed up directly by the Supreme Court. That would address most if not all of the problems we're discussing since they're jurisdictional in nature.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
It's monumentally amusing that a lifeless loser on an internet message board could read my post and decide I'm outraged. Nope, sorry, I'm simply laughing at every TDS suffering idiot here. I'm sure your sky is falling.

"clutch them pearls". 2421 days to go.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Saying he has the explicit power to do something isn't the same as saying he theoretically do something given the current circumstances and lack of precedent. Article 2 doesn't say a word about whether a POTUS can pardon himself so you can make a perfectly fine legal argument that it's allowed by omission that would be rightfully addressed by amending the Constitution to remove the ambiguity. There's also a fairly widely held common understanding that POTUS can't be indicted for federal crimes and no precedent for a state/city indicting or arresting him for a violation of their laws. If he theoretically committed murder I don't see why the District of Columbia couldn't indict or prosecute although it needs to be said the Constitution heavily proscribes the city's powers and gives heavy oversight powers to Congress.

I think this still goes back to a separation of powers issues which could be addressed by a law changing the management of special counsels from the executive to judicial branch, perhaps with investigations of POTUS being headed up directly by the Supreme Court. That would address most if not all of the problems we're discussing since they're jurisdictional in nature.
How can both of these be true? Murder is a state crime.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

District of Columbia is federal jurisdiction, meaning Trump has the authority to pardon all offenses that happen within it. Since he's claiming the power to pardon himself as well it's a simple A -> B. He's claiming he could have walked into FBI headquarters, murdered Comey, and then pardoned himself. Sure Congress could then impeach him but he would still be literally getting away with murder. That's what he's claiming the power to do.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's monumentally amusing that a lifeless loser on an internet message board could read my post and decide I'm outraged. Nope, sorry, I'm simply laughing at every TDS suffering idiot here. I'm sure your sky is falling.

"clutch them pearls". 2421 days to go.

I find it pretty amusing that you think the 'lifeless losers' are the people posting here and not the old man who contributes nothing other than random posts about how much he hates everyone on the board he's voluntarily visiting. ;)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
District of Columbia is federal jurisdiction, meaning Trump has the authority to pardon all offenses that happen within it. Since he's claiming the power to pardon himself as well it's a simple A -> B. He's claiming he could have walked into FBI headquarters, murdered Comey, and then pardoned himself. Sure Congress could then impeach him but he would still be literally getting away with murder. That's what he's claiming the power to do.
Lest we forget his supporters wouldn't care if Trump did it.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Trump didn't create that gap though; that's a practical consequence of the purposeful limitations of the Home Rule Act and other legislation. Since Congress holds supreme control over the District (leaving aside the question of whether this is a good idea or not) the Congress could theoretically fix this "problem" if they wished. The problem could also be fixed by retroceding the District back to Maryland or giving them semi-autonomous 'capital district' status like many nations do.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump didn't create that gap though; that's a practical consequence of the purposeful limitations of the Home Rule Act and other legislation. Since Congress holds supreme control over the District (leaving aside the question of whether this is a good idea or not) the Congress could theoretically fix this "problem" if they wished. The problem could also be fixed by retroceding the District back to Maryland or giving them semi-autonomous 'capital district' status like many nations do.

Sure, removing Washington DC from federal jurisdiction would do the trick but this was literally how things were set up by George Washington and the founders. I find it unlikely that their view of the powers granted to the president included him being able to commit unlimited crime so long as he stayed in the capital. The real answer is that this is such an absurd result that the pardon power should not be read to include the president himself but as the world stands today though the president is literally declaring that he can murder the head of the FBI with immunity from criminal prosecution so long as he can convince them to come within the boundaries of the capital.

Whatever shitty things previous presidents have claimed in the past, nobody's ever tried to pull some bullshit this bad. Obama decided he could drone strike an American citizen and don't get me wrong, that was insanely bad, but at least the argument was that he posed a genuine threat to American lives and we couldn't address it any other way. Trump's saying he could kill people for his own personal amusement if he wanted to and then pardon himself.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemo_iudex_in_causa_sua

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
These same laws have been in effect for how long?

Now all of a sudden due to TDS it is a problem.

Keep going chicken little, the sky is falling.

LOL.
Indeed, suffering from truth derangement syndrome and being a Trump appologist is no easy task.

One must pretend the emperor does in fact have clothes and doesn`t believe he.has authoritarian powers.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Look up motherfucker. The sky IS falling.

edit: go touch base with your local neighborhood and get a sense of how far some of them would follow "trumpism". Just for kicks.

No, It isn't. Go find some pearls and clutch them and maybe cry a little.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Several decades ago the DOJ looked into this matter and the answer was not surprisingly "no", the reasoning being is a principle of the Founders as a basis in Natural Law, that no man should be a judge in his own cause. This does not mean a literal judge, but exercise a power that exempts them from the law and the consequences thereof.

This principle has held from the beginning of the nation and Founder supporting document (which the SCOTUS uses in making determination) rendering arguments of ambiguity absurd. If the SCOTUS only read the Constitution line by line out loud? Yes, but that never happens.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I gotta ask, why the indirect attacks on masculinity and emotions?

Is this the "sophisticated" way to call someone a p___y or f____t?

It has nothing to do with masculinity and emotions. It has to do with getting all worked up about an imaginary problem. Trump is not going to shoot Comey or Congress. He is no more or no less protected from prosecution than any other President was.

No, what made you select that train of thought? If I wanted to call him / her names I would do it directly. I try to avoid name calling as I do not wish to be like a lot of liberal posters here and that is their go to when someone disagrees with them. There are many.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
It has nothing to do with masculinity and emotions. It has to do with getting all worked up about an imaginary problem. Trump is not going to shoot Comey or Congress. He is no more or no less protected from prosecution than any other President was.

No, what made you select that train of thought? If I wanted to call him / her names I would do it directly. I try to avoid name calling as I do not wish to be like a lot of liberal posters here and that is their go to when someone disagrees with them. There are many.
It has nothing to do with emotions... but it has to do with getting worked up? Can you parse the difference as you see it?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No, It isn't. Go find some pearls and clutch them and maybe cry a little.
The president contemplating pardoning himself doesnt suggest the sky is falling in your book?
Lets play this out : Trump pardons him self right now. What is your stance on this, how will you act.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The president contemplating pardoning himself doesnt suggest the sky is falling in your book?
Lets play this out : Trump pardons him self right now. What is your stance on this, how will you act.

It suggests that America made a huge mistake in selecting a President who even dreams that lead balloon might fly. There's a whole lot about "unfit to be President" that the voters managed to overlook in the mad rush to burn the witch.

Trump can't possibly remain in office should he pardon himself & it won't pass muster with the SCOTUS, either. It's an esoteric point, anyway, because if he's forced out Pence will pardon him anyway. Well, provided he doesn't actually shoot somebody, which seems very unlikely.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
It suggests that America made a huge mistake in selecting a President who even dreams that lead balloon might fly. There's a whole lot about "unfit to be President" that the voters managed to overlook in the mad rush to burn the witch.

Trump can't possibly remain in office should he pardon himself & it won't pass muster with the SCOTUS, either. It's an esoteric point, anyway, because if he's forced out Pence will pardon him anyway. Well, provided he doesn't actually shoot somebody, which seems very unlikely.

The only way for America to move forward is to impeach the entire administration. Paul Ryan as POTUS might not be the best but he at least isn't in Russia's pocket.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Just the fact that the President and his team have even floated this opinion should give any American pause. Except for his loyal footlickers. No shock there. lol.