Hypothetical question about overclocking and warranty

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I've read here about different warranties, and how EVGA and someone else warranty their stuff even if you overclock.

Okay, how would they even know? I guess if the card totally dies and you can't change the clocks back to stock, but if it just starts messing up and you RMA it, how can they know if you put it back to stock clocks?
Is there a record in the bios or something?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Great question, and hopefully someone will give us some insight.

Based on the article below, nothing will be recorded in the Video Card BIOS, since it is just an initial set of instructions:

http://www.techpowerup.com/art...verclocking/vidcard/34

"The video is BIOS is a small piece of code (typically <64 KB), which is stored inside a small chip on your video card. When the VGA card receives power, the BIOS is loaded into system memory and immediately executed by the CPU.

On startup, the BIOS initializes the video card:

Initialize the GPU
Detect number of memory chips, chip size, access mode
Enable memory access and set proper timings
Detect if external devices (analog VGA, DVI, TV-out) are connected and enable them
Set core and memory clock
Enable power management
Set fan speed (if supported by the board)
After these tasks are completed, the display will turn on and display what's happening next - usually the motherboard's POST screen.

Once you boot into Windows, the display driver takes over all video functions and the BIOS is no longer used. However, it remains accessible for execution."

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
^you got me. My card is an OC from the factory, not planning on overclocking it any more, was just wondering.

If you use Rivatuner, is that just software overclocking, and the card itself is unchanged?

AVP

Jan 19, 2005
Better yet, how would they know if you replaced the stock cooler and then stuck it back on for rma?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: AVP
Better yet, how would they know if you replaced the stock cooler and then stuck it back on for rma?

I like that one better...

The ironic thing about it is that by using a better cooler you are LOWERING the chance of the card failing and them having to honor their warranty... if a company takes away your warranty for that then they are just being dicks about it who try to weasel out of warranty...

Thats why quality companies like BFG and eVGA allow you to use non stock coolers. KEEP the stock cooler though... you will have to put it back on for sending the card back,m because even if they wouldn't care the new card they send you will be with a stock cooler, regardless of what the card you sent them had.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
Great question, and hopefully someone will give us some insight.

Based on the article below, nothing will be recorded in the Video Card BIOS, since it is just an initial set of instructions:

http://www.techpowerup.com/art...verclocking/vidcard/34

"The video is BIOS is a small piece of code (typically <64 KB), which is stored inside a small chip on your video card. When the VGA card receives power, the BIOS is loaded into system memory and immediately executed by the CPU.

On startup, the BIOS initializes the video card:

Initialize the GPU
Detect number of memory chips, chip size, access mode
Enable memory access and set proper timings
Detect if external devices (analog VGA, DVI, TV-out) are connected and enable them
Set core and memory clock
Enable power management
Set fan speed (if supported by the board)
After these tasks are completed, the display will turn on and display what's happening next - usually the motherboard's POST screen.

Once you boot into Windows, the display driver takes over all video functions and the BIOS is no longer used. However, it remains accessible for execution."

Great info. Thanks for that sequential heads up.

:sun:

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
yeaa stupid BFG doesn't allow overclocking AND changing of the stock cooler from their video cards

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: taltamir
Originally posted by: AVP

I like that one better...

The ironic thing about it is that by using a better cooler you are LOWERING the chance of the card failing and them having to honor their warranty... if a company takes away your warranty for that then they are just being dicks about it who try to weasel out of warranty...

Thats why quality companies like BFG and eVGA allow you to use non stock coolers. KEEP the stock cooler though... you will have to put it back on for sending the card back,m because even if they wouldn't care the new card they send you will be with a stock cooler, regardless of what the card you sent them had.

That's really only true if the aftermarket cooler is installed correctly. I would imagine that the vast majority of failures that occur with aftermarket coolers are from the coolers not being installed properly, or the customer simply damaging the card during the install.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
yeaa stupid BFG doesn't allow overclocking AND changing of the stock cooler from their video cards

Ironically they sell overclocked cards. :p

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: John

Ironically they sell overclocked cards. :p

I KNOW RIGHT.

Well they'd rather you pay for the OC card than DIY :)

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Okay, how would they even know?

They are watching you.

Originally posted by: Gusty987
honor system?

"There is no honor among thieves."

Still, a little honesty would be nice.

(Edit: to correct usernames.)