Hypothetical for the Anti-Trump people- What if?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We're apparently at the point where impeachment is properly called for. Powers of arrest for inherent contempt exist and found to be valid, if not used in a long time it still exists.

So what will your reactions be of Dems in power fail to act, talking a lot but doing nothing? A "Screw them they're out for some newer blood" or "This is a political calculation and I'll have to forgive and even support and approve waiting it out" or something else?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Unfortunately, as I've said here several times, even if the House if Representatives votes to impeach Trump tomorrow, there's zero chance the Senate will vote to convice and remove him from office...if Moscow Mitch would even let it come up for a vote.

So...why even bother with impeaching?

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Do I want them to impeach? Yes.

If they impeach and fail, will that change my vote? No.

If they impeach and succeed, will that change my vote? No.

If they don't impeach, will that change my vote? No.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I mean what can you do? Vote for the people who fecklessly didn't do their duty or for the people actively working to destroy the country?

In the general election it would have no impact on my vote as I will not vote for a Republican for any federal position regardless of who they are and what they say. The party has to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up.

I would encourage a primary campaign against all Democratic leadership positions in the event of a failure to impeach though.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I mean what can you do? Vote for the people who fecklessly didn't do their duty or for the people actively working to destroy the country?

In the general election it would have no impact on my vote as I will not vote for a Republican for any federal position regardless of who they are and what they say. The party has to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up.

I would encourage a primary campaign against all Democratic leadership positions in the event of a failure to impeach though.

What we can do is not reelect or accept those who by inaction side with Trump. I think you offer a false dilemma as Pelosi is not the only Dem in her state and therefore I see it as a patriotic duty to remove her for someone who represents her electorate more than her political ambitions. YMMV as always.

Reactions: ivwshane and KMFJD

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It’s political calculus.

Impeach, and there is the possibility he survives in the Senate and claims vindication.

Don’t impeach, and you risk his winning. He’s already damaged Biden with minimal effort.

Impeach and get the evidence out there. Make it politically untenable for GOP Senators.

Reactions: hal2kilo

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’d say you’d see quite a few sexagenarian and septuagenarian Democrats getting primaried, and hopefully some new leadership at the DNC. Out with the old and in with the new.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What we can do is not reelect or accept those who by inaction side with Trump. I think you offer a false dilemma as Pelosi is not the only Dem in her state and therefore I see it as a patriotic duty to remove her for someone who represents her electorate more than her political ambitions. YMMV as always.
Other than attempting to primary out these people they are still orders of magnitude better than any GOP fuckstain.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Unfortunately, as I've said here several times, even if the House if Representatives votes to impeach Trump tomorrow, there's zero chance the Senate will vote to convice and remove him from office...if Moscow Mitch would even let it come up for a vote.

You impeach to let the facts come out.
1) This era will be documented in history. Which side do you want to be on? The side that stood up to brazen corruption and the destruction of US precedents and norms or the side that let it slide?
2) The facts may lead to more facts that demand impeachment
3) The facts may lead to post-presidency prosecution perhaps even on a state level (which would be a nice 2nd place prize)
4) The facts may turn the public and finally open people's eyes towards what the GOP has become

Remember with nixon, all the same sentiments you raised were present but look at the result at the end of the day.

Reactions: feralkid

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Other than attempting to primary out these people they are still orders of magnitude better than any GOP fuckstain.

OK, that's taken for granted. So that leaves the status quo or others more inclined to act and that comes down to primaries. "Good enough" isn't good enough anymore, and our standards for accountability IMO have fallen to the point that Trump and McConnell are consequences of our collective complacency.

I voted for Bernie in the primary and I'll go with Warren this time around and hopefully she has a younger and competent running mate. No 2016 please, we need to aim high.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If Pelosi doesn't move to impeach I will be voting her out. You can count on dems or independents running against anyone currently in Congress who didn't hold trump and his admin accountable.

I'll also continue to vote out Republicans any chance I get as they obviously put their party before the country.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is the attitude of 3 people in my wife's Trump voting family - "I don't care if Trump is using the Ukrainian government to go after a political opponent while thumbing his nose at congress and the constitution as long as my taxes go down and the economy is good.

Shit, there are people that are happy Russia interfered in the election. All the while Trump cozied up to them.

Trump supporters will see Trump trying to extort the Ukraine into getting dirt on Biden as 'good persidenten'.

If this ends up in an impeachment it won't be because of popular outcry, it will be because congress on their own finally decides to give a shit about the constitution and the rule of law.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
As I am capable of human adult level reasoning and basic decency and empathy, I will under no circumstances ever vote for a Republican. However, I will gladly support primary opponents of Dems who fail to act on impeaching Trump for his clearly criminal actions.

Reactions: dank69

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
He's going to get reelected, and there's nothing you or your ridiculous clown car full of terrible candidates can do about it. ;)

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
He's not going to prison.

What the hell has happened to you?

I'm same as I ever was. Regarding prison there's a fairly high chance of that happening. Pelosi and the Dems? I think not but I'm a NY resident and Trump is in an effing big steaming pile of crap. Considering his past adventures and entitled nature vs adherence to the law? Trump has a poor track record on that. Of course that's for the courts to decide but he's not going to have the US government at his beck and call to deliver him.

Jul 9, 2009
If you have cause, the House should impeach. If there's enough evidence and the charges are strong enough the Senate would convict. So far i've seen no evidence strong enough for conviction, but it might happen. Mostly i've seen a long list of bullshit and hatred from the Democrats. I seriously doubt if a Republican Senate would vote to convict at 66 votes.......66 Senate votes for fuck sake! So i'm happy to see the Democrats impeach and then suck ass in the Senate and with the public. Damn Democrat losers.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If you have cause, the House should impeach. If there's enough evidence and the charges are strong enough the Senate would convict. So far i've seen no evidence strong enough for conviction, but it might happen. Mostly i've seen a long list of bullshit and hatred from the Democrats. I seriously doubt if a Republican Senate would vote to convict at 66 votes.......66 Senate votes for fuck sake! So i'm happy to see the Democrats impeach and then suck ass in the Senate and with the public. Damn Democrat losers.

Lol

Triggered. I look forward to your continued defense of a corrupt president.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
I'm same as I ever was.
I disagree.
Regarding prison there's a fairly high chance of that happening. Pelosi and the Dems? I think not but I'm a NY resident and Trump is in an effing big steaming pile of crap. Considering his past adventures and entitled nature vs adherence to the law? Trump has a poor track record on that. Of course that's for the courts to decide but he's not going to have the US government at his beck and call to deliver him.
If his "crimes" were so heinous, why wasn't he prosecuted for them before he became president?

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Again.

Reactions: jayzds

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Let me take that backwards a step and say I am not against the Republican Party as much as I am against Trump’s Republican Party!
I am sure a lot of the policies I disagree with, would be different with different Republican!
The sad part is Pence is a different Republican and I don’t like the man!
I also don’t like Kamal Harris on the Dem side of the fence!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You are dreaming! Even if the charges were strong enough to convict those in the Senate will turn there heads. Why? Because they need to keep the White House in Republican hands!