hypoglycemia

imported_nerve

Mar 17, 2005
I am hypoglycemic. (low blood sugar)

Whenever I try to go to the gym or do anything physical for that matter, I feel like im either going to pass out which I have or throw up..

Anyone else have this and how to keep it in check or overcome it.

Old doc told me to eat cheese and drink orange juice but that wont help

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Take a few energy bars (not protein bars) and nibble on them while you're working out. If you don't want to fill your stomach, then take some gatorade and ADD sugar to it... and drink a little every few minutes.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
And make sure you eat good balanced meals in between to keep your blood glucose levels in check through out the day. Which means avoiding fast foods, fatty foods, if you can.

And what meuge said for working out. Gatorade is good while working out. Try a piece of fruit before hand something non acidic preferably so your stomach doesnt get upset.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
First and foremost you must avoid refined sugar. So read the labels on everything you buy to eat. Eat small meals and snacks about 5 times a day. These should be high protein with minimal carbs. Some fats are Ok such as dairy products, nuts, etc. Limit your sugar intake for the most part to the natural sugar you get from fruits. The idea is to avoid raising your blood sugar levels significantly. Get plenty of exercise and take trail mix or fruit to snack on when you feel like you need something to eat. Many people who suffered with this problem were told by their doctors to eat a candy bar or something sugary when they felt like they needed it. This proved to be incorrect. By avoiding refined sugars and avoiding raising your blood sugar level significantly throughout the day you also avoid the significant drop in blood sugar levels that hypoglycemics experience. You should also avoid alcohol but after 26 years since I've been diagnosed I am able to drink in moderation (at home) without much of a problem.

The advice to take Gatorade and add sugar to it is the worst advice someone could give to a hypoglcemic.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Not sure if it'd help, but there is a jelly like substance that they give to marathon runners who are on the verge of passing out after a long run. Its basicly super concentrated carbs designs to rapidly raise blood sugar levels. I'm not sure you can buy it though, I've only seen it used under emergency circumstances.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Not sure if it'd help, but there is a jelly like substance that they give to marathon runners who are on the verge of passing out after a long run. Its basicly super concentrated carbs designs to rapidly raise blood sugar levels. I'm not sure you can buy it though, I've only seen it used under emergency circumstances.

This is probably fine for folks who don't have a blood sugar problem. Raising their blood sugar rapidly is exactly what hypoglycemics don't need. They need to adjust their diet so that their blood sugar level stays near their fasting levels. When a hypoglycenic's blood sugar level rises rapidly it falls just as fast, and falls below fasting levels so that one experiences a myriad of symptoms which can include faintness, hunger, nervousness and shakiness. perspiration, dizziness or light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking, feeling anxious or weak, etc.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was hypoglyemic (more on that in a moment), and most of what conehead says is accurate; however, simple carbohydrates are very necessary when you are in a hypoglyemic episode. The problem is that people indulge when in an episode and end up consuming many times more than they should, so the result is an insulin swing in the opposite direction.

I would go buy some glucose tablets. Take one, wait 15 minutes, and if not better take another. This will get your blood sugar to a normal level without dropping you later on.

I no longer consider myself hypoglyemic because I no longer have any episodes. Every once in a while when I'm stressed my blood sugar drops to the floor, but a few glucose pills and I'm back in order. I manage it by eating only complex carbohydrates and almost no simple carbohydrates at all. I eat fruit, but sparingly; I drink no soda, fruit juice, or anything similar. Manage your diet and you should be able to manage your hypoglycemia without a problem.