HyperV VM and ext usb drive question

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I'm an accountant now.. never touch hyper v before and my last sys admin os was esx 6/6.5

Unfortunately our quick books server is on server 2003 on hyper v and running out of disk space to hold backups.

Our IT vendor doesn't really have solution, I see that you can add usb drives to newer os easily, similarly to how I do it on esx.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/hollis/2012/02/21/accessing-usb-drives-in-a-hyper-v-vm/

My question is does this work on server 2003.. I dont remember that far back also.. or if anyone has a 2003 vm you can add a quick usb drive to let me know..

Lastly I guess I can power up my home server an do a test but that'll take a few days :)

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
As long as the guest OS supports USB and supports the size of drive you're wanting to mount, there's no reason it wouldn't. It's more a matter of if the host supports pass through.

Reactions: rsutoratosu

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Just an update, our vendor says "its not possible", after running out of room every day and they have to manually log in to clear space, they ask to finally order a 2tb drive just to hold backups... lol.. its just so funny that if they have to do extra work, they'll make it work..