Hydroplaned tonight for the first time

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
Damn, that was scary as hell. I went through a thunderstorm with the rain pouring. I was doing 65mph+ on the highway.

I have plenty of experiences driving in snow condition, but hydroplane is new to me. I was like WTF when my car lost control for the first time in rain and I have drove 50k miles with this car (Subaru Impreza L).

I was able to handle the hydroplane like when I drive on the snow.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Happened to me while on an offramp exiting a highway... banking right.. except I didn't go right... I went straight... onto a dirt island right in front of a brick wall (overpass)... luckily I stopped on the dirt just before the wall and lucky there were no sand barriers that would've easily put some dents in. Very lucky. I got rid of those Goodyear Eagles quick. There was no way I'd ever trust them again and they were terrible in the snow too.

J0hnny

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2002
How were you able to regain control once you started skidding? Did you let go of the brakes and go with the skid?

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Fun isn't it? I just about totaled one of my cars several years ago doing that. Doing about 70 in the fast lane going into curve to the right, hit the center divider and proceeded to do a couple of 360s until I ended up just off the shoulder, facing backward. This was on the 405 just north of Long Beach and I was lucky as hell not to hit any other vehicles. Definately gave up one of my nine lives on that one.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've gotten into the habit of keeping an eye on my rear view mirror when driving fast in the rain... when I can't see the tracks from my wheels behind me, I know I'm in trouble :p

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
65+ in the pouring rain? Be glad that you're still alive.

Put your hands up if you'd do ~110km/h in a thunderstorm? ...

Strange, the OP is the only one with his hand up...:Q

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Just don't lock up your brakes and make sure your wheel is pointed the direction you want to go when you regain traction and you'll be fine.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DaWhim

I was able to handle the hydroplane like when I drive on the snow.

How's that? Wait until you stopped hydroplaning? You don't really have much traction to do anything if you're hydroplaning.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
When it is sheet raining, the drivers in Texas freak out and start going 30mph on the highway.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I skid in rain going around a turn in my new car hitting the curb around 25mph. So much for all weather tires.

Ever since I've been fearing turns even in the lightest of rain. Especially after paying the dealership 400 dollars for a new OEM sports tire and alloy rim, and another 400 dollars for a bent hub baring.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ain't it cool?
I hydroplaned through an intersection once. It's a great feeling when the brakes don't work.

lein

Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
Ain't it cool?
I hydroplaned through an intersection once. It's a great feeling when the brakes don't work.

Yeah, similar experience for me. Weird thing however, after the incident, my car wouldn't drop down to 1st gear if necessary. I don't know if the two incidents are related, but it sure made a crappy acceleration at a light =/ (Transmission "fixed itself" after I restarted the car, whew)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
My truck got a little light the other night when it was raining heavy all day long. I don't think I was hydroplaning, though. At least, not my front tires. But I was also driving stupid - going 85 on Ocean playing with a riced CRX.

Originally posted by: FeuerFrei
Ain't it cool?

Did that on snow once. Went to stop and, oh, hmm, no brakes.

edit: WTH?

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
It's fun isn't it?!

Scared the crap out of my girly last time it happened, but I had fun. :p

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Lol @ Subaru drivers that think their cars will never spin out with teh AWD awesomeness. I love seeing SUV's upside down in the ditch after they fly past me when I'm doing 15 under the speed limit because there's snow on the road.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Lol @ Subaru drivers that think their cars will never spin out with teh AWD awesomeness. I love seeing SUV's upside down in the ditch after they fly past me when I'm doing 15 under the speed limit because there's snow on the road.

# of witnessed SUVs actually upside-down: 0
# of witnessed passenger cars being pushed by humans: too many

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Why is it that people do not understand that when it rains you slow down?

Anyway I've come close to hitting barriers drifting on on way ramps for fun in the rain, but I was only going ~35.

Anyway F1 GSD3's and being smart enough to slow down FTW!

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: rh71

# of witnessed SUVs actually upside-down: 0
# of witnessed passenger cars being pushed by humans: too many

I've seen at least a dozen flipped SUVs during bad weather over the years.

I've seen about as many small cars stuck in ditches, too, though.

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think you should love seeing that. What if the driver is a mother with a little kid in the back? Is it the kid's fault? Should the kid die for it? No, you shouldn't love seeing SUVs in a ditch, upside down.