Hydrogen cars are the solution not drilling....

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Drilling for more oil is only going to lengthen our dependency on oil. Because its gonna put less presure on alternatives.

This is what our president should talk about: http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

Helping out people getting these cars and forcing companies to make more of these cars.. and installing refueling stations. At least in urban areas... NYC,Chicago,Cali cities, etc.

I just don't get it. I hope Obama is going to push for this not more and more oil. I am sick of this oil...

-------------

Some info:
- This car looks like any normal other car.
- Cost is 600/m as a lease, however maintanance included which actually saves you tons of money.

What we need is to lower the damn cost and build refueling stations for hydrogen...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The vast majority of hydrogen is currently made by steam reforming natural gas.

The supply problem will need to be addressed.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I feel the same way in regards to our oil dependency, but I also understand that there are ways which we can achieve that goal while still keeping the current oil prices in check. The problem is that applying a very large band aid solution such as more oil drilling could potentially slow down our progress towards transforming America into a much less oil dependent country. People have a tendency to not spend money investing in new technology while there is still a lot of money to made using the old technology. Our solution needs to be one which keeps the prices down and the progress up without wrecking our environment way too much.

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: rdubbz420
what energy is going to be used to make this hydrogen?

What does it matter. As long as its not oil. Look the only thing you push into your tank currently is that damn oil.. you can make hydrogen with 10 other things...

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Xavier434
I feel the same way in regards to our oil dependency, but I also understand that there are ways which we can achieve that goal while still keeping the current oil prices in check. The problem is that applying a very large band aid solution such as more oil drilling could potentially slow down our progress towards transforming America into a much less oil dependent country. People have a tendency to not spend money investing in new technology while there is still a lot of money to made using the old technology. Our solution needs to be one which keeps the prices down and the progress up.

Exactly. The whole thing to these high gas prices had up and down side. Thought I hate it, and then again I love it at the same time. But in my opinion drilling for oil is not a solution for tommorow. I heard just to get one oil pump its gonna take 3 years..thats prob invovles finding and building the oil drill station. Then once they start pumping how long will it take for it to get into our pumps?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Let me jump right on that $600 a month lease! For that kind of money, give me a Porsche and $4 gasoline. Seriously though, Hydrogen does have some great advantages like zero emissions etc, but manufacturing Hydrogen takes a lot of energy. That energy has to come from somewhere........

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by: SlingXShot

What does it matter. As long as its not oil. Look the only thing you push into your tank currently is that damn oil.. you can make hydrogen with 10 other things...

actually, I put energy bars into my tank since I bike 99% of the time.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Is it coming in commercially viable products and distribution tomorrow? Is it coming in the next year? The next 5? 10?

No, not really. I agree that we need to increase our MPGs and develop alternative sources of energy. Until then, we need to make sure that we have an affordable and plentiful source of energy.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
You could have posted in this thread... :(

Originally posted by: Queasy
Is it coming in commercially viable products and distribution tomorrow? Is it coming in the next year? The next 5? 10?

No, not really. I agree that we need to increase our MPGs and develop alternative sources of energy. Until then, we need to make sure that we have an affordable and plentiful source of energy.
There is no reason why we couldnt set harder deadlines and higher standards for MPG requirements and alternative-fuel implementation.

timetables aren't always a bad thing... ;)

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Jmman
Let me jump right on that $600 a month lease! For that kind of money, give me a Porsche and $4 gasoline. Seriously though, Hydrogen does have some great advantages like zero emissions etc, but manufacturing Hydrogen takes a lot of energy. That energy has to come from somewhere........

Actually even a cheap porsche boxster is going to cost more than 600$ (600-700) and even a normal porsche CARRERA is going to cost more than 1000$ a month, and if you want to get a porsche 911 turbo, is gonna cost $2200 a month...

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Drilling for more oil is only going to lengthen our dependency on oil. Because its gonna put less presure on alternatives.

This is what our president should talk about: http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

Helping out people getting these cars and forcing companies to make more of these cars.. and installing refueling stations. At least in urban areas... NYC,Chicago,Cali cities, etc.

I just don't get it. I hope Obama is going to push for this not more and more oil. I am sick of this oil...

-------------

Some info:
- Cost is 600/m as a lease, however maintanance included which actually saves you tons of money.

What we need is to lower the damn cost and build refueling stations for hydrogen...

I agree with you comrad, the government should pay for everything.

I'm driving my car and it's powered by hope and good intentions.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

It matters greatly. Power from nuke plants? Coal? nat gas?
It's also a matter of how and where it's "made". Is is local? or centralized(ie. trucked/piped)

So no, hydrogen is not "THE solution", it one day could be part of it but at that point, why not just make cars electric?

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Jmman

Actually even a cheap porsche boxster is going to cost more than 600$ (600-700) and even a normal porsche CARRERA is going to cost more than 1000$ a month, and if you want to get a porsche 911 turbo, is gonna cost $2200 a month...

I think your missing the point, at the end of the day your driving a Porche not a Civic.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Budmantom

-------------

Some info:

I don't think he was trying to argue that the government should pay for it all. Unless I am mistaken, he is supporting the idea that the government should try to influence faster progress towards a less oil dependent country. That is basically what everyone wants. How we do that is obviously what is up for debate, but I don't believe anyone here minus a few really wild extremists actually believe that the government funding this entire thing is the way to go.

That was the nice version.

The short blunt version: Stop Trolling

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Question of the day: Why is the new affordable hydrogen-powered Honda only available to select movie stars and the like in CA?

I'm sick of seeing them get special treatment with alternative-fuel vehicles while being just about the only group of people who dont need to worry about oil prices... it doesnt make much sense.

I also think the major car manufacturers are missing the mark when they only make certain hybrids available in NYC or CA...

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

-------------

Some info:

I don't think he was trying to argue that the government should pay for it all. Unless I am mistaken, he is supporting the idea that the government should try to influence faster progress towards a less oil dependent country. That is basically what everyone wants. How we do that is obviously what is up for debate, but I don't believe anyone here minus a few really wild extremists actually believe that the government funding this entire thing is the way to go.

Why should my tax dollers go to "helping out people" buy cars?

Our government should worry about security not worry about FORCING companies into making products.

SlingXShot

Jan 7, 2004

-------------

Some info:

Our government should worry about security not worry about FORCING companies into making products.

Does your daily life revolve around security... you are saying people should just think about security and don't care about how they get to work? Thanks for your great suggestion.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

-------------

Some info:

Does your daily life revolve around security... you are saying people should just think about security and don't care about how they get to work? Thanks for your great suggestion.

No it doesn't that's up to our government, your idea makes no financial sense... spending $600 on a lease. I'm all for hybrids when it's cost effective.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I don't think it will be viable until we get to fusion power which will be in 50 years or so.

The electricity costs are enormous to extract it from sea water and even with nuclear we are talking too much energy - unless everyone wants a nuke plant in their backyard.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ayabe
I don't think it will be viable until we get to fusion power which will be in 50 years or so.

The electricity costs are enormous to extract it from sea water and even with nuclear we are talking too much energy - unless everyone wants a nuke plant in their backyard.

High temperature electrolysis and other thermal processes have much higher efficiencies than conventional electrolysis. The heat source is the primary problem then, though this could be supplied by HTRs (High Temperature Reactors) which are in development in the Gen IV reactor family.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ayabe

The electricity costs are enormous to extract it from sea water and even with nuclear we are talking too much energy - unless everyone wants a nuke plant in their backyard.[/q]

Count me in.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
frankly i'd rather have biogasoline that uses the existing infrastructure and works in existing cars. trashing every car on the road and building a brand new network isn't exactly conserving.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Hydrogen is one of many possible alternatives. But it is not an overnight solution. There is a significant enrgy INPUT to get hydrogen. There is a huge refueling infrastructrue that needs to be built.

All can be overcome, but I doubt we will be there in 1, 3 or even 5 years. In the meantime, we still need to develop oil, natural gas and next gen fission reactors to supply our growing energy needs.

Energy equates directly to wealth. Wealth equates to higher standards of living, healthier people, longer life spans etc... We need to develop all viable sources of energy certainly trying to focus on wind, wave solar and nuclear as less polluting than coal/oil/natural gas. But all will play a role for some time to come.