Question hybrid drives?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I love SSD speeds, but not the premium price, and not the lack of storage space. On the other hand, I love the huge amount of storage on magnetic spinny drives, and the relatively low price.

How come I haven't seen more 'hybrid' drives, which combine the two?

I would think there would be a huge market for M.2 hybrid drives, which look at what you're often accessing, and put it on the SSD portion, but also give you huge & cheap storage for what you don't often access. It would seem that this would give users the best of both worlds.

Your thoughts?

Jul 27, 2020
M.2 SSHD? Form factor is an issue unless there's a long M.2 cable going from the drive to the M.2 slot. Apparently, companies think that 128 GB SSDs are cheap enough and cover majority of normal users' needs who do some browsing/office productivity and maybe casual gaming.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
SSHD's are a bit of a gimmick. The whole cache things frequently used vs not doesn't make a huge difference in speed. I used a couple of Seagate drives and they both just didn't perform and one died fairly soon compared to just sticking with HDD / SSD instead.

There's talk of expanding NVME protocols to HDD's though.

Spinners just won't be able to hit SSD speeds but, they're faster these days than back int he day when they first got produced. My WD Red drives hit 200MB+ which is 30% of an SSD in speed. When you bundle multiple drives with Raid you can get closer to SSD speeds. In my Raid 10 setup speed testing the array hits up to 480MB/s which isn't bad.

Reactions: Shmee