Hybrid Crossfire out yet?

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
The HD 3450 is out and so are the new motherboards... How about the Crossfire setup?

I was thinking of this during constructing a build for a cheap friend.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
No, I meant the Crossfire which would be between a HD 3450 and a motherboard IGP... Seems like the IGP motherboards aren't out yet. Weird.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I thought that only Nvidia has announced Hybrid SLI? I haven't heard of AMD announcing such a solution.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: aka1nas
I thought that only Nvidia has announced Hybrid SLI? I haven't heard of AMD announcing such a solution.

Actually, the AMD 780g 'hybrid' is supposed to be out in a few weeks - with UVD, dx10 and sm4 on the IGP ...

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
I thought AMD announced this first. Though there are slight differences in how they work. The nice thing about Nvidia's Hybrid is that the dedicated card could be turned off when not needed and only use the IGP which would save power. I hope AMD does the same.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: KingstonU
I thought AMD announced this first. Though there are slight differences in how they work. The nice thing about Nvidia's Hybrid is that the dedicated card could be turned off when not needed and only use the IGP which would save power. I hope AMD does the same.

AMD announced it before Nvidia and AT even did a short article on it. .

Footnotes: Yes it can power down the discrete card and run on the IGP to save power
You will need an RS780 chipset due in March according to AT (which coincides with ATI Crossfire X driver due next month to handle all this).
Multimonitor support for Xfire (evident in the 8.1 driver).