Hurt Cat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: lokiju
Originally posted by: Josh123
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
Any idea what happened? Was he hit or in a fight?

It looked like he had some bite marks on his ear and my brother said he saw some dogs wandering the streets. He's mostly an indoor cat but we let them run around outside because there not really any harm. He doesn't have any front claws so he was pretty much defenseless if it was a dog after him. I think it literally scared the crap out of him cause it was all over his tail. I swear if I see a dog roaming out there I'm going to run the damn thing over.

Um, how about leaving your cat with no front claws inside for now on there?

I have two cats both with their front claws removed and would never even consider letting them go outside.

:disgust:

Most vets will also not declaw cats that will be outside.

In our urban and suburban society's, pet belong inside or constrained inside your property limits.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

The neighborhood is a very friendly one. It's very common for people to let their cats out throughout the day. Yes, I do love this little guy. Me and the GF found him when he was about 2 weeks old and we had to feed him with a dropper. He is pretty much our kid. He will be 1 year this month. I still haven't told the GF though, shes 3 hours away and I don't want her to be worried until we know what exactly is going to happen.

Doesn't protect them from cars, other animals, poisons, and a million other dangers. The direct people harm is a minor problem of all the indirects.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
:(
rose.gif

Got four cats here, I feel ya

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Cat treats seem to get my kitties over any sulking they might be doing.

Or some tuna.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thats what cats do when they're hurt.

If you could make him a warm comfy place to sleep besides behind the toilet he may use it.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
Ok, well that makes me feel better. Right now he is laying in between my legs cuddled up on the blankets. I'll keep you guys updated if anything serious happens.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok, well that makes me feel better. Right now he is laying in between my legs cuddled up on the blankets. I'll keep you guys updated if anything serious happens.

How old is he?

He should be fine, Just keep him well fed, cared for, and loved, he will bounce right back.

And please - keep him inside from now on.

<-- 2 cats now, used to have 6

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Just watch him and see that he drinks and eats, and used the litter box without difficulty. If he quits going, take him back to the vet.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I'm a sucker for provisionally happy endings. That one poster was right, animals in recovery, and cats especially, seek solitude and shelter. Go, Pounce, Go! :thumbsup:

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
He's mostly an indoor cat but we let them run around outside because there not really any harm. He doesn't have any front claws so he was pretty much defenseless if it was a dog after him

um, isn't it rather cruel to let a declawed cat outside? it would be defenceless.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Well, at least he took financial responsibility for his mistake so it wasn't intentional cruelty. A lot of owners would have had him put down rather than pay what I'd assume are fairly expensive vet bills. I know cats have wander lust and are hard to keep in, but please don't let a declawed cat roam the neighborhood. They have to be able to climb trees to evade things like dogs and other wildlife. Better yet, take some time to train the cat not to claw furniture by alterring any unwanted surface (alter odor and texture with aluminum foil or plastic wrap) and providing something for them to sharpen their claws on. It's still not right to let them roam the neighborhood, you should train them to stick to a certain area, but at least they won't end up some dog's chew toy like poor bounce.

Rayden

Jun 25, 2001
Yeah, I agree with those who say that injured cats just want to be alone and not move. That's not to say he's perfectly fine and will recover, that I don't know. But its not unusual for them to be very low-key for a while.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
My parents cat got attacked by a dog about 6 months ago, lucky for the cat I was able to pull the dog off him in time. I was so pissed at the dog I nearly choked it to death... Well the cat ran off and was gone for a couple days, we all thought he died somewhere, but he came back with a little limp, but he was ok. I think cats just need to be left alone when they are vulnerable like that.