Hurricane Laura Most powerful Hurricane to make Landfall in Louisiana in 160 years

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Surprised there is no thread.
It hit landfall at 2 am local time in Louisiana as a Category 4 hurricane. Katrina was category 3.
The NOAA weather service labeled the immediate landfall areas as "unsurvivable", due to the 20-30 ft storm surges.
That term has never been used before according to the anchors and weather people on the news.

Also, how will FEMA help out when the orange menace is looting FEMA to pay for the 300.00 unemployment supplement.
Trump Looted $44 Billion FEMA’s Disaster Relief Fund in the Middle of a Record-Setting Hurricane Season

I didn't watch the RNC but I am guessing there was no mention of this catastrophe/disaster that is going to
inflict much pain to the people in the gulf states. The news channels covering the RNC made no mention of
the speakers referencing this impending disaster.
Just like there was no mention, I am told of all the continuing COVID-19 cases and deaths.
Don't talk about it, it never happened. Right?

Most powerful in La in 160 years.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Yeah, I am watching some shots of Lake Charles and as I type this on the news.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Also, how will FEMA help out when the orange menace is looting FEMA to pay for the 300.00 unemployment supplement.
Trump Looted $44 Billion FEMA’s Disaster Relief Fund in the Middle of a Record-Setting Hurricane Season

I didn't watch the RNC but I am guessing there was no mention of this catastrophe/disaster that is going to
inflict much pain to the people in the gulf states. The news channels covering the RNC made no mention of
the speakers referencing this impending disaster.
Just like there was no mention, I am told of all the continuing COVID-19 cases and deaths.
Don't talk about it, it never happened. Right?

You know if it hit NJ like that, GOP would be screaming "blue state bailouts" once again.

When the relief package is drafted, it should include aid to states for covid as well as they postal service funding. It's the only way to play with these Fkers.

Until then, hope everyone starts safe and damage ends up not being too bad.

Nov 8, 2012
Title of this thread is completely untrue.

It also isn't true for the state of LA.

I presume you mean for the specific localities involved - Lake Charles area?

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Title of this thread is completely untrue.

It also isn't true for the state of LA.

I presume you mean for the specific localities involved - Lake Charles area?
Yes, I read the title and was thinking WTF? Michael was a Cat 5 with 160 mph winds.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think Hurricane Andrew would like a word with this thread title.

Nov 8, 2012
I think Hurricane Andrew would like a word with this thread title.

Good article here that goes into worst hurricane by 3 means:

1) Deadliest (est. of most killed)
2) Costliest (most money needed to repair/rebuild)
3) Highest windspeed.

Apparently Andrew takes 2nd place for highest windspeed.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
Good article here that goes into worst hurricane by 3 means:

1) Deadliest (est. of most killed)
2) Costliest (most money needed to repair/rebuild)
3) Highest windspeed.

Apparently Andrew takes 2nd place for highest windspeed.

what i heard last night... Laura is the most powerful hurricane that is hitting that area.

But they were saying it is picking up speed before it hits and with the storm surge it could be an extremely bad hurricane

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It had the highest official recorded windspeed (if it holds up) but basically because the wind gauges always broke in previous hurricanes.

Frankly I think Andrew would give a real run for the title here-that was basically a hundred mile wide tornado that went across Florida went into the gulf and powered up again, then rampaged through Louisiana and a whole bunch more states.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Hurricane Laura Most powerful Hurricane to make Landfall in US history.

That is simply not true. Granted it is not terribly far from the top either, but it is still "just" a Cat4 and we have had multiple Cat5 landfalls in history.

Further more, Hurricane Katrina landed as a Cat3, but its storm surge was beyond anything else in modern history. It maintained the surge of its peak strength from the previous day. Which is a good 10+ feet above what Laura would have produced. That aside, I am sure the beach was wiped clean by storm surge, and Lake Charles and other areas suffered considerable wind damage this day.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Saw an interview with retired Gen. Honore who helped rescue Bush from Katrina. He was saying none of the houses in the Virgin Islands or Puerto Ricco have been rebuilt yet. A lot of the houses in the area where the hurricane was to come inland have not been rebuilt from the 2015 storm. In other words he was saying FEMA is being run like shit. Anyone surprised.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Since we're talking about powerful hurricane's I'll just drop this here,
"Hurricane Camille of 1969 had the highest wind speed at landfall, at an estimated 190 miles per hour when it struck the Mississippi coast. This wind speed at landfall is the highest ever recorded worldwide. Actual maximum sustained winds will never be known because the hurricane destroyed every wind-recording instrument in the landfall area. Columbia, Mississippi, located 75 miles inland, reported 120 mph sustained winds."
:oops:

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
You know if it hit NJ like that, GOP would be screaming "blue state bailouts" once again.

When the relief package is drafted, it should include aid to states for covid as well as they postal service funding. It's the only way to play with these Fkers.

Until then, hope everyone starts safe and damage ends up not being too bad.
Like when the nice and tolerant Progressheviks laughed at Tennessee when they got hit with fires and said it was karma for voting Trump? Typical libtard attitude by making everything political and demanding a cut of the action.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z