Hurrican Gustav - Storm of the Century???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Farang
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Farang
Abandon that city. As much as I hate to say it, it is the number one place in America I've always wanted to visit, but in the long term this is ridiculous for us to be dealing with every few years when we have plenty of land.

Funny but when Mid-West towns are flattened by Tornadoes we always rebuild them. A better idea would be what CallMeJoe suggested which is rethinking the layout of the city. Then again you'll start seeing the same type of damage in Florida's coastal cities once the mango groves in the Everglades are wiped out by over development. Sometimes it's best to use mother nature and work with here because she does have some very nice built in protection schemes.

I don't see St. Louis being knocked out by a tornado in the future.. not a great comparison.

Notice I said towns not city and especially not St. Louis. None the less the point still stands. I don't think the solution would be to abandon a economically strategic city at the mouth of the Mississippi because of two hurricanes. With the proper planning/funding and proper use of natural resources provide by mother nature N.O. can be made secure.

I did notice you said towns but if you're sticking with that I don't think your point stands because in this case we're talking about a major American city.

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Originally posted by: Pandaren
literally flattened parts of Cuba like a Pancake.

So Cuba was mixed into a batter and poured into a greased skillet? :confused:

I think he is speaking in terms of geometry. :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
I'm starting a countdown for when Obama's Voting Bloc will start looting.
The countdown for when Obama's detractors would make racist "looter" comments has just expired.

Hey it's a self proclaimed "Chocolate City". I'm just calling it how I see it.

and Nagin is just as bad as you are.

You both should be kicked out of this country as racist traitors.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The countdown for when Obama's detractors would make racist "looter" comments has just expired.

Guys, if a place describes itself as a "Chocolate City" then obviously Sinsear's race baiting isn't his fault.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Hecubus2000
(Kanye voice on) Mother Nature doesn't care about black people. (Kanye voice off)

By the way it looks like Kanye ended up being pretty right on the mark there, don't you think?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

And finally (3 in a row!) Dave, it seems like you want an awful lot of people kicked out of this country/imprisoned/etc as traitors. Can we get a consolidated list?

eilute

Jun 1, 2005

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: eskimospy

And finally (3 in a row!) Dave, it seems like you want an awful lot of people kicked out of this country/imprisoned/etc as traitors. Can we get a consolidated list?

Simply start at the top with Bush and work your way down to here.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

Simply start at the top with Bush and work your way down to here.

wait a minute dude. Bush should be swinging by his neck not imprisoned.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Hide your guns, boys in New Orleans. Can't do a thing until we have all the guns confiscated from the hands of law abiding citizens. Only the thugs need them.

Sep 12, 2004
At the moment it's not looking to become the storm of the century or even close to Katrina. It's a weak-moderate Cat 2, doesn't appear to be organizing very well, hasn't strengthened significantly, and is forecast now to move slightly further west than the previous forecast tracks. Since the east side of the storm will be hitting NOLA the winds will be completely different from those of Katrina. There will be more of a storm surge from the Gulf but Lake Ponchartrain won't be subject to the strong north winds as it was with Katrina so the levees won't be stressed nearly as much. If NOLA can survive the storm surge it may very well miss a bullet on this one.

Of course, anything could happen in the next 12 hours or so, as Andrew demonstrated, but all the doom & gloom in this thread is unwarranted at this time.