Hurrican Gustav - Storm of the Century???

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
If I were you guys I would be filling every vehicle/gas can I owned up right now. Gustov is tracking to make a DIRECT hit, as a very strong Cat 3/4 storm, on Grand Isle/Port Fourchon. As it looks now it appears that they will be taking it on the west side as well which is as bad as it gets. We have harped for years about how vulnarable this port is. It is VITAL to a large part of this countries energy and there is NO BACKUP. If it goes down we lose at the very least 12% of our imported oil and there is no other place in the country that can currently offload the oil. Thats not even getting into the issue of getting the oil to the refineries. This could be bad folks. Real bad if the LOOP or the port is offline for any extended period of time.

Some facts about Port Fourchon:

-Port Fourchon currently services over 75% of the Gulf of Mexico's deepwater production.

-In addition Port Fourchon's huge domestic hydrocarbon significance it is home of the land based LOOP (Louisiana Offshore Oil Port) which handles 15% of our foreign oil imports and is connected to 50% of the US refining capacity.

-The LOOP is the ONLY port capable of offloading the VLCCs (Very Large Crude Carriers) and ULCC's (Ultra Large Crude Carriers)

-Port Fourchon plays an extremely important strategic role in furnishing this country with 18% of its ENTIRE oil supply.

-650 million barrels of crude are transported via pipelines through the port.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I assume Port Fourchon is somewhere near New Orleans? I watched two channels this morning and both pointed out Gustav tracking for the near west side of New Orleans and being at least category 3, possibly 4, by landfall on the mainland. And they were talking about 25" of rain, too.

It's a bit scary how Gustav is already a Cat 3 and hasn't even entered the warm Gulf waters yet. It seems to have grown substantially faster than they were talking about yesterday.

On the positive side, FEMA is claiming they are moving into action now before, rather than after. You can bet this has the attention of the highest political levels in Washington.

Good luck and Godspeed, you people living around there.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Thump553
I assume Port Fourchon is somewhere near New Orleans? I watched two channels this morning and both pointed out Gustav tracking for the near west side of New Orleans and being at least category 3, possibly 4, by landfall on the mainland. And they were talking about 25" of rain, too.

It's a bit scary how Gustav is already a Cat 3 and hasn't even entered the warm Gulf waters yet. It seems to have grown substantially faster than they were talking about yesterday.

On the positive side, FEMA is claiming they are moving into action now before, rather than after. You can bet this has the attention of the highest political levels in Washington.

Good luck and Godspeed, you people living around there.

As the bird flies the Port is a few dozen miles away from New Orleans to the southwest. By road its about a 2 hour drive from N.O.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: nick1985
Just as I predicted. Milk will soon be $8 a gallon.

I've been buying real milk at over eight dollars a gallon for at least a year. Half gallons of the tasty one are 4.19.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When you elect a disaster disasters follow. We can't rebuild the country's infrastructure because we need to win the war the fool started in Iraq. We pour our national treasure down that rat hole so the Republicans can stave off the evidence they are total shit.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Darwin333
As the bird flies the Port is a few dozen miles away from New Orleans to the southwest. By road its about a 2 hour drive from N.O.

Sounds like a direct hit.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
personally i hope hurricane gustav takes down 4chan, though i suspect 4chan will be back online within days and have the last laugh and troll the gustav wikipedia entry for years to come.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
personally i hope hurricane gustav takes down 4chan, though i suspect 4chan will be back online within days and have the last laugh and troll the gustav wikipedia entry for years to come.

What the hell is that? I've seen mention of it in OT and now here.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Have you ever heard of The Google?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

internet hell.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We, or should I say, homeland security have known of these vulnerabilities for years and years and years. I saw all these video pictures on the news of various construction projects restarting to shore up New Orleans levies that just got restarted after years of idleness when the news of Gustav got on the radar channels in the last week.

The point is, frantic work in the last week will not fix vulnerabilities that should have been solved years ago.

Even if this late date with less than 60 hours until Gustav hits, we do not yet know what will happen or exactly where it will hit, but it may or may not end up being the biggest GOP disaster imaginable and during their convention to boot. As for me, it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face, so I will just wait until it happens rather than predict anything. Maybe this country will dodge a bullet and maybe we will not, but at this late date all we can do is fasten our seat belts and hope. Does that sound like sound national policy when the risks are that great? You are doing a great job Chertie could cut both ways.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A disaster during the Republican convention would be a message from God that He hates their homophobia. There, that should jinx it and keep it at sea.

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
I'm listening to reports on the BBC now. They are saying that Gustav is Category 4 and literally flattened parts of Cuba like a Pancake.

Now I've read that the levies aren't fully repaired, and they are supposed to withstand a Category 3.

Hypothetically, the storm hits New Orleans, is that it for the city? From what I understand, New Orleans is essentially a fish bowl below sea level. Could the city be totally destroyed this time around?!

Edit - The government at least seems to have a handle on things now. Mayor Nagin has flat out said to "get your butts moving out of New Orleans right now. This is the storm of the century." And people are able to flee by organized public transportation. I hope that all people & their families and pets can get to safety ASAP.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
and gwb will then get the blame for spending money and rebuilding when the place was going to get obliterated anyways...

build under sea level = get wet sometimes... they should have hired the dutch...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Abandon that city. As much as I hate to say it, it is the number one place in America I've always wanted to visit, but in the long term this is ridiculous for us to be dealing with every few years when we have plenty of land.

Pandaren

Golden Member
Sep 13, 2003
I don't like George W. Bush at all, but it would be silly to blame him. The government and people of Louisiana and New Orleans clearly wanted to rebuild the city -- I can't say I blame them. New Orleans is home for thousands of people. It may be in a dangerous place, but it's home.

The logical thing to do would be to move the city to a safer area, but obviously that would be incredibly difficult to accomplish.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Never understood the appeal of building under sealevel right next to an ocean that spits hurricanes at you. But what do I know, I'm from Iowa

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Living in the general vicinity, I can tell you that it's being handled differently this time. People started preparing before Gustav was even close to Cuba.

I don't know if the infrastructure is going to hold up, but the people are getting their asses out of the way. They are making the interstates northbound only starting tomorrow, and they aren't going to be opening shelters in coastal areas to give people an excuse to stay in dangerous areas. The only civilians left in the path will be stubborn fools.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Pandaren
I don't like George W. Bush at all, but it would be silly to blame him. The government and people of Louisiana and New Orleans clearly wanted to rebuild the city -- I can't say I blame them. New Orleans is home for thousands of people. It may be in a dangerous place, but it's home.

The logical thing to do would be to move the city to a safer area, but obviously that would be incredibly difficult to accomplish.

Why not move everyone to Detroit? That city is abaonded anyway.

Instead of spending billions and billions to rebuild New Orleans, you could spend less than a million dollars and buy every former resident of New Orleans a home in Detroit.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
There needs to be a city at the mouth of the Mississippi River if only to support the port operations necessary there; we need to rethink the layout of that city to make it more flood resistant.

edit: sp

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Notice to the dumbasses who are trying to "ride it out" yet again:

Run fo u'z lives u dumbfucks!