Humor Value

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
If you ever thought of getting a 965G to overclock...
DON'T DO IT! RUN SCREAMING THE OTHER WAY!

I honestly think an old 800 series Intel chipset would be more friendly.

Alright, now for my tale of woe, mischief, and amusement.
My friend Derek put my computer together with me, and somehow the heatsink (being a pain-in-the-butt Intel LGA 775 stock cooler) did not end up properly attached. Using Thermal Analysis Tool with both cores at 100%, I got to 80/76C. Yes, that's at stock FSB and stock volts. So I was at Derek's house for a LAN party, we opened up my computer, and he basically poked my heatsink once, which caused it to halfway fall off. We removed it, and found the 90% of the Arctic Silver 5 was still stuck on the processor, there wasn't enough pressure to put it on the heatsink.
We removed my motherboard, f***ed around with the HSF mounting tabs, I think whoever designed them should be killed. Finally we managed to tap it in, got the TAT up and running, it ended up at 65/64C on both cores 100% load. Went home, set it up to 320 FSB, it refuses to start. Hard drive is going CLICK-WHIRR, it doesn't show up in the BIOS under standard BIOS options, nothing. I can't find a way to stop letting the PCI bus frequency rise up. The FSB keeps losing its settings, even from just 290mhz.
F**k 965G

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I would try changing the board battery first. If that doesn't work, try flashing the bios. I hit 80c on my old northwood a couple of times, but it still worked pretty well, just refused to overclock at the old settings.