hum.. let's have a poll. Q4 vs Prey vs Doom3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I enjoyed em all, preferred Prey to Q3 but enjoyed Q4 better than Q3 but not as much as Prey. :)

The Bakery

Mar 24, 2008
When I got Prey, I hadn't played an FPS through since freaking Duke Nukem 3d. It really
made me check out what was being released and subsequently led me here now that I've
exhausted my 7600gs.

To me, the game was fresh in concept, VERY rich in graphic detail and used scale excellently.

Doom 3 bored me. Quake 4 was fun, and looked great. However it was way too stale and
linear. Prey's quirks kept it fresh - quake 4 felt overly formulaic.

Prey WAS a bit easy and short, but my selling points on that were originality, execution and
the graphics were the best I had ever seen at that point.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If it helps you decide at all.

I voted Q4 > Doom3 > Prey and here is why

Q4 has the best multiplayer, it is more "true" to Q3 and actually serves some function so that gives it a major boost over the competition. On top of that, Q4 had boss fights added onto a pretty fun sp campaign. The vehicle parts weren't needed, but aren't exceptionally bad either.

Doom3 was the original incarnation of the engine and earns bonus points for that. It's got horror and plenty of it. It also has some of the best mods out of the 3 games listed. cDoom almost catapults it past Q4.

Prey comes up last, but not because I think it sucks or anything. It has some really cool maps and certain parts of the story were enjoyable. But it was also one of those games I play and then never touch again. Because of that I had to rate it last.

Edit: I should probably clarify the "true to q3" line, because I'm tired still and Q4 isn't actually identical to Q3, not even close, but it tries. And at some point in the future it may actually become the defacto replacement. It isn't yet and mainly because the engine is a thug.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres not enough bad things I can say about Doom 3.

I found a handful of negative reviews on Gamespot. Had to trudge through about 10,000 positive reviews to find them. Interestingly enough, the folks giving it low ratings were considerably better writers than those giving it praise.

The biggest flaw is the lack of genuine action, up until the very last level.
Its the exact same simple scripted event the entire time. You walk down a hall, a secret hatch opens behind you, a monster pops out, you engage in lackluster combat.
Lather.
Rinse.
Repeat.

I didnt mind the simple AI in Doom because the shooting action was so intense. With Doom 3 it was almost always one at a time with enemies who showed almost no visible damage until they died.
The only thing to look forward to was the chance for a cool cutscene with a new monster.

The PDA's with audio and video did NOT make me forget I was playing a very uninteresting game, and manually entering codes for lockers got to be very tedious.

The graphics were good but the horrid art direction would make sure you never knew that, except in the tiny handful of areas at the games start where you could actually see something.

Along those lines: the crummy flashlight did not make the game spooky or scary or mysterious, it made it annoying. The duct tape mod doesnt count. I got sick of the game itself long before any decent mods finally came out. And again, it doesnt make sense that such an advanced martian station would only have power for exactly what you need at the time you happen to walk by. Lights always flicker and die just when you need them. Computers and doors are the same way.

I am still amazed that folks can criticize Call of Duty 4 for heavy scripting (which featured high-quality, cinema style action) and think Doom 3 is still so fucking great.

I think the only real reason for Doom 3's sucess is years of hype, followed by a small boost in the PC Gaming industries graphic quality.

If you disable bump-mapping the game looks like complete dog ass, meaning use of bump mapping on every single object was the only really special feature of the Doom 3 engine and game.
If it had come out from another company it would happen been labeled boring and repetative and unworthy of a second glance.

I'll be back later to review Quake 4 and Prey.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Quake 4 is the only one I finished. I found it to be good all the way through and despite it being a few years old I still find the engine very pleasing to the eye. I got it free with my evga 7800GT/NF4 SLI mobo combo so that made it even more sweet.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: JustaGeek
I am now downloading Prey from Steam - $4.95 this weekend only:

http://www.steampowered.com/v/...=game&AppId=3970&cc=US

likewise, I got 15 minutes into it and thought it was better in terms of Graphics than Q4. For some reason Q4 won't recognize my 9600gt and AA cannot be turned on, while in Prey I can have AF and AA (there is no AF in Q4 right?). Gameplay was okay so far (well, I just picked up the first gun). But yes, I already got some sort of motion sickness just playing for 15 minutes.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I liked both Doom 3 and Quake 4, even though I think that engine sucks. They were not anything remarkable but were generally pretty solid FPSs. I haven't played Prey.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
My order would be a modded Quake 4 (can't remember the exact mod sorry, but it increased moving speed, enemy numbers, and gun power), Prey, Doom 3.

Unmodded Prey, Quake 4, Doom 3.

Originally I thought quake 4 just ran a little slow. By slow I mean the pace of the game, not FPS-wise.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I've never played Doom 3, tried the Prey demo, but have played Quake 4 so can't really say. The opening sequence for Prey was pure awesomeness... then the game turned a bit 'meh'. Quake 4 was an amazing one time experience though. I haven't gone back cause the game itself is also pretty standard, but the story and cinematics made it worth it.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
With all this talk of Prey, I've decided to play it again for the third time. :p

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: FuryofFive
if you know a friend who owns any of them, ask them to borrow it.

Quake 4 is worth a one-time play through just to see the way the borgs are made(i know they have a different name)
Doom 3, is cool same old shooter
Prey was cool, i liked the story vs the actual gameplay. the gimmicky doors. like someone else said. cheapmans portal.

graphically, they all resemble each , dark and tight, there are few parts where the map is in open areas, but the gist is in dark corridors, for the scare factor.
i never thought the graphics were that good as the hype said they would be.

Play Prey if you can find it for under 20$ for any avid FPS shooter will complete it in under 5 hours, even taking my time i completed it in 4 1/2

Strogg man Strogg!

Prey's puzzles were great fun and the game was gritty with it's language. I could have done without all the a-hole and vagina doors, but overall it was a fun experience. MP Prey is severely underrated in my book also.

Quake 4 was fun and the story was told well while you played the game. The plot twist with you becoming an uncontrolled Strogg yourself was pretty cool. The vehicles did seem to be tacked on at the last minute though. However, everything in that game world was so big that it seemed very memorable after the fact. Finally, they gave a lot of background story for the previous games and added a lot to the game world with this game. Quake 4 multiplayer is quite fun, but I'd rather play team based squad warfare rather than deathmatch. To each their own I suppose.

Doom 3 was garbage without the duct tape mod plain and simple. It was scary in a few parts, but way too scripted and dark to be fun most of the time. I enjoyed this for the first hour or so, and then the game just got repetitive. No MP to speak of leaves it dead last in my book.