hum... 2-stroke oil in gas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
Sure, they'll never look at the fuel when a possible fuel related failure occurs and they have a big warranty repair...

Sure, they'll never look for any excuse to blame it on the owner...

Of course not...

I don't know what I was thinking...

Perhaps gain some real-world experience before making these assumptions.

Oh noes! A fuel injector failed! QUICK, DRAIN ALL HIS FUEL AND SEND IT TO US FOR IN-DEPTH SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS!

...or maybe just read my above post.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This is BS. Same people sit in their car for 30 mins with the engine running in the morning because they think it's "good to warm up the car" before driving. Wrong. They also top off their gas tanks. Bad idea.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
This is BS. Same people sit in their car for 30 mins with the engine running in the morning because they think it's "good to warm up the car" before driving. Wrong. They also top off their gas tanks. Bad idea.

What's wrong with topping off your gas tank? Do you just fill yours half way?

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Not if you don't tell them. How will they know, if the engine fails and they dealer has to replace it? It's not like there'd be anything inside to give it away, and that's ASSuming they even bother to tear it down in the first place. Most dealerships nowadays, if there's an internal engine issue, they just put another motor in it.

ya dealers are VERY careful of assesing blame in situations where odd damage occured.

I had a customer last year with a 2 liter turbo tiguan. His wife didnt change the oil for 45k miles and the variable valve timing took a dump and once torn down had more sludge that I have ever seen in a car with 50k miles. guess what? Car and engine had CLEAR signs of abuse and VW still changed the engine No charge no questions asked.

Most dealerships will tell you its not worth trying to blame someone that can turn around and sue you.
Sucks I know but it is what it is.

No way dood your no where near it...:D

But yea have to agree years back it was used quite often but with today's newer systems it would not be a wise choice... As for a catastrophic engine failure no way and do not want that impression given (if used in the fuel not the "crankcase" which is a different story)... While it might cause an issue with a Cat or and O2 sensor over time depending on the ratio it wont hurt much else but in that article it leads to the conclusion that it might just gunk up certain parts...?

I would just opt for a "good" fuel system cleaner and even consider the middle grade of fuel or better... But what do I know I drive a diesel...:twisted:

Its all good...:biggrin:
/drinks beer with bartman

I use B&G injector cleaner. Great stuff if you havent tried it.

I wonder how many people on the interwebs will read that post and use 2 stroke oil in their oil tank. Whats the worse that could happen right? lol

Hell I wonder if marvel mystery oil is just two stroke oil with some shit it in to make it a color other than blue...

anyone want to open a fuel additive business with me? We will buy some tcw-3 add some dye and fairy powder. BOOM mirrions!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Perhaps gain some real-world experience before making these assumptions.

Oh noes! A fuel injector failed! QUICK, DRAIN ALL HIS FUEL AND SEND IT TO US FOR IN-DEPTH SCIENTIFIC ANALYSIS!

...or maybe just read my above post.

Plenty of examples of fuel related failures and the clusterfuck of assessing blame. They happen whenever a bad batch of fuel gets into a distributor or retail tank and cars start dropping like flies.

The last one I can recall was killing the sender for the fuel gauge in bunches of cars.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
What's wrong with topping off your gas tank? Do you just fill yours half way?

Just fill till the pump stops. Going beyond that can flood the evap system causing damage. Or overfilling will pour gas onto the ground and that's no good. When the pump clicks resist the urge to squeeze out more.

I tend to keep my tank mostly full but that's to reduce water accumulation through condensation especially in the winter.